Politics
INEC clears four political parties for Ondo South Senatorial bye-election
The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, has disclosed that only four political parties, comprising the All Progressives Congress, APC, Allied Peoples’ Movement, APM, Action Peoples Party, APP and Boot Party, will participate in the bye-election in Ondo South Senatorial District, which takes place on Saturday, June 20, 2026.
The Commission also revealed that a total of 673,446 registered voters are expected to participate in the by-election across the 1,354 Polling Units and 66 Registration Areas (Wards) in the district.
This disclosure was contained in the keynote address delivered by the INEC Resident Electoral Commissioner for Ondo State, Dr Mutiu Agboke, at the stakeholders’ meeting on the conduct of the Ondo South Senatorial District bye-election held on Tuesday in Okitipupa.
Agboke said the bye-election became necessary following the appointment of former Ondo South Senator, Senator Jimoh Ibrahim, as Nigeria’s Permanent Representative to the United Nations by President Bola Tinubu.
According to him, “the Senate formally declared the seat vacant on April 28, 2026, during plenary and directed INEC to conduct a bye-election in line with constitutional provisions governing legislative vacancies.
“To this end and in compliance with its constitutional mandate under Section 76 of the 1999 Constitution and the Electoral Act 2026, the Independent National Electoral Commission has swiftly moved to fill this legislative vacuum. Hence, the Commission has fixed Saturday, 20th June, 2026 the date for the Ondo South Senatorial District Bye-Election.”
The REC noted that the election would be conducted alongside other bye-elections in Enugu, Nasarawa, Rivers and Kano States, as well as the Ekiti State governorship election.
Providing details of voter distribution, Agboke said, “Odigbo Local Government Area has the highest number of registered voters with 154,382, followed by Ilaje with 147,209, while Ese-Odo has 84,888 voters.”
He added that a total of 5,416 poll officials would be deployed for the exercise and stated that only voters who registered before the commencement of the ongoing Continuous Voter Registration, CVR, exercise and possess valid Permanent Voter Cards, PVCs, would be eligible to vote, stressing that the existing voter register would be used for the election.
“The Bimodal Voter Accreditation System, BVAS, will be deployed for voter accreditation at all polling units, ensuring the integrity of the accreditation process,” Agboke said.
The REC disclosed that 1,359 BVAS machines had been received, tested and certified for deployment, while an additional 264 backup devices had been set aside to address possible technical challenges on election day.
He added that sensitive materials were already being stored in INEC’s secure vault in Akure.
On security arrangements, Agboke said INEC had activated the Inter-Agency Consultative Committee on Election Security and was working closely with security agencies to ensure a peaceful process.
“We shall not allow Ondo South to be a theatre of violence and impunity,” he stated.
He identified the participating political parties and candidates as APC’s Prof. Dayo Faduyilemi, APM’s Adeolu Akinwumi, APP’s Adesanya Olaoluwa and Boot Party’s Nejo Funso Clement.
Agboke added that campaigns would run from June 10 to June 18 in accordance with the Electoral Act 2026 and urged parties, supporters and stakeholders to conduct themselves peacefully before, during and after the election.
dailypost.ng
Politics
Osun election warning for APC ahead of 2027 — Ex-chieftain Ojo
A former chieftain of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Dr Jackson Lekan Ojo, has said the outcome of the Osun State governorship election is a warning of what will happen to the APC in the 2027 general elections.
Reacting to the re-election of Governor Ademola Adeleke, Ojo described the poll as a victory for freedom, not just for Osun people but for all Nigerians.
📱 Continue reading on the Daily Post app →
Free • No sign-up • Read the full story in the app
dailypost.ng
Politics
I’ve instructed Osun Attorney-General to drop suit against EFCC — Adeleke
Governor Adeleke of Osun State.
Governor Ademola Adeleke of Osun State said he has instructed the state’s Attorney-General to withdraw the suit filed against the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, over the freezing of the state government’s bank account.
Read Also: Why Adeleke won again in Osun
Adeleke said this in an interview with Channels Television’s Sunday Politics, hours after he was declared winner of the August 15 governorship election.
Governor Adeleke had slammed a N2 billion suit on EFCC over what he termed the unlawful freezing of the state’s Federal Statutory Allocation Account. Read the full story HERE.
Asked during the Channels TV interview whether he was ready to put the political disagreements and the EFCC case behind him, the governor said he had decided to move on following President Bola Tinubu’s intervention.
“I’m putting them behind. What else do I want? I have instructed my Attorney General to drop it. Mr President has done well. He called me. What more do I want?” Adeleke said.
On allegations that some of his supporters and officials were being invited and questioned by the EFCC, Adeleke said he had directed his lawyers to provide the necessary assistance.
“Well, we have been talking. I have been calling all my lawyers to go there. I’m sure the APC in Osun, according to them, they are telling us they are using federal might,” he said.
Adeleke, however, said he did not believe President Tinubu was aware of some of the actions attributed to federal agencies.
“Most of these things, the President doesn’t know. The President has a lot of foreign work and jobs to do,” he said.
According to the governor, some of his aides were invited by the EFCC for questioning but were released after no wrongdoing was established.
“I told my people, go there. We haven’t got anything to hide. And when they go there, they ask them questions, and then they will say, ‘Go on.’ Can you imagine my spokesperson? You are inviting my spokesperson — is my spokesperson a finance minister or accountant?” Adeleke asked.
He described the invitations as a distraction and alleged that former Osun State governor Gboyega Oyetola was behind the development because of his relationship with President Tinubu.
“All these things is Oyetola because he is the cousin to the President. He is dropping the President’s name. I know that the President didn’t know about the EFCC one. That is why he had to call me and stop it,” Adeleke said.
www.vanguardngr.com
Politics
I had no doubt Adeleke would be re-elected – Elder brother Deji
Governor Ademola Adeleke’s elder brother Deji Adeleke has said he was convinced his younger sibling would be re-elected despite the weight of the challengers for the governorship seat.
Governor Adeleke was declared winner of the Osun gubernatorial election on Sunday.
In a video recorded at Adeleke’s victory celebration on Sunday night, Adeleke said his confidence in his brother’s victory before results were called came from prayer.
“I don’t discuss with anybody. I do it in the corner of my room. I do this every day. So, I was not worried. I had no doubt in my mind that Ademola will win. Ademola will overcome,” he said.
“I fortify myself with the power of the Almighty God every day. And the day that I fast, I’ll do it three times a day. And nobody knew. I don’t discuss with anybody,” the businessman added.
Speaking on the opposition, Deji said, “Let them come with all the battalions, withdraw the Army, bring all the money from the Central Bank. Nobody is above God Almighty.”
He added, “He comes with his wickedness. He comes with the power that he thinks he has because he’s connected to the Presidency. But Ademola comes against them in the power of the Almighty God.”
Deji also said he had prayed for the governor’s protection and victory, adding, “He dances and praises your name. So, Lord Almighty, God, the owner of the universe, show up for him.”
www.vanguardngr.com
-
Metro2 days agoOsun election: Police arrest officer over tear gas incident
-
Politics2 days ago
Osun Election Results 2026 LIVE: Polling unit-by-unit, LGA updates
-
Politics2 days agoOsun Decides: Accord heads for victory as Adeleke leads Oyebamiji by over 66,000 votes
-
Sports2 days agoVictor Osimhen Responds to Arsenal Transfer Links After Galatasaray Draw
-
Sports2 days agoBayern Munich’s Saibari Praised For Actions as Jamal Musiala Collapses
-
Sports2 days agoMo Salah’s Highlights From Trabzonspor Debut Spark Big Reaction
-
Politics2 days agoOsun Decides: Adeleke leads as INEC uploads results of 24 LGs
-
Politics2 days agoOsun Decides: INEC uploads over 80 per cent of election results to IReV
