Connect with us

Sports

Kyle Walker Names 3 Players Tuchel Should’ve Included in England’s World Cup Squad

Published

on


Former England international Kyle Walker has named the three players that Thomas Tuchel should’ve named in his squad for the 2026 World Cup.

Tuchel named his 26-man England squad at the end of May. The likes of Harry Kane, Jude Bellingham and Declan Rice were among the players named in a hugely talented group.

The German left out some big names from his side. Some old heads that have been integral for England over the past decade were omitted, as were some younger players despite impressive campaigns.

Walker, capped 96 times by his country, will also not travel to North America after announcing his retirement from international football earlier this year.

Walker Names 3 English Players That He Would Have Taken to the World Cup

kyle walker england

Walker has joined The Sun as a columnist and pundit for its coverage of the 2026 FIFA World Cup. He has now revealed three stars he would have picked for the World Cup if he was Three Lions boss. Speaking at a special show for The Sun previewing this summer’s tournament, Walker said:

“I probably would have taken Morgan Gibbs-White. He’s been fantastic for Forest.”

Gibbs-White was controversially left out of Tuchel’s side despite a superb campaign with Nottingham Forest. He scored 15 times and recorded seven assists in the Premier League for the Tricky Trees last season.

Walker, now 36 years old, also said that Manchester United duo Harry Maguire and Luke Shaw should’ve been included in defence. He added:

“I come back to the defence. I do think there’s a lot there that have probably not played too great or who are carrying injuries that, can you completely rely on for the stretch of the tournament? That’s where I probably question some of them, but I’m not the manager.

“A fit Reece James is the best right-back in the world, for me. But can he (stay fit)? I think (John Stones) is a tremendous player. John’s problem is keeping fit.

“Harry Maguire and Luke Shaw have probably had the best seasons for Manchester United in a long time and are now not at the tournament. I do think Luke Shaw, for me, should have been on the plane and I do think Harry Maguire should have been on the plane.”

Shaw played every match in the Premier League this season, while Maguire was excluded from Tuchel’s side despite an impressive campaign at the heart of United’s defence.

Maguire said he was ‘shocked’ and gutted’ after learning he had been left out.

Kyle Walker Gives Take on Phil Foden’s Omission

phil foden

Phil Foden was also a controversial omission from Tuchel. Walker stopped short from saying he would’ve taken his former teammate to the World Cup.

He said: “I really like Phil Foden. I’ve played with him for eight years, but he’s not on the plane.

“The players the manager has picked, he’s had the tough decision of picking 26 players to go on that plane and we have to trust in him that they are the right ones.

“It’s football. What do you do, sulk and cry in the corner, or work harder? think that in life there’s always setbacks, especially in football. It’s about how Phil bounces back now. You can’t affect that, that’s gone.

“He just needs to make sure that come the start of the new season, whoever the new manager will be for Manchester City now Pep has left, he puts his best foot forward and makes sure that he is the first name on the team sheet.”

England kickstart their World Cup campaign against Croatia on June 17. Matches against Ghana on June 23 and Panama on June 27 follow.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Aston Villa Handed £30m Transfer Headache After Martinez Move Collapses

Published

on

By


Aston Villa manager Unai Emery is set to be handed a conundrum in the goalkeeping department with the expected move of Emiliano Martinez to Juventus collapsing.

The Villans are looking to breathe new life into their options between the sticks ahead of the 2026/27 campaign with Emery looking to move on from the services of the Argentine.

Martinez has made 256 appearances for Aston Villa, keeping 80 clean sheets, and still has another three years left on his deal at the Villa Park. However, the 33-year-old has agreed personal terms with Serie A giants Juventus.

The Athleticnow report that Martinez’s move to Juventus has collapsed. Despite personal terms being agreed between the player and prospective club, Aston Villa have not yet accepted a transfer fee.

It’s claimed that Juventus lodged a fresh bid for Martinez over the weekend with an increased fee, reducing the price gap between offer and valuation. However, Aston Villa’s determination to hold out for a reported €10million (£8.5million) has now seen Juventus pull out of the deal.

The Serie A outfit will turn its attention to other targets with a move for Tottenham Hotspur star Guglielmo Vicario now a priority. On Monday morning, it has been reported that a loan agreement between Juventus and Spurs has been reached.

Unai Emery handed goalkeeping conundrum at Villa Park

Zion Suzuki Japan Action Images

The transfer collapse could leave Aston Villa in a sticky situation. The Villans have now reached an agreement to sign Parma goalkeeper Zion Suzuki from Parma in a €35million deal.

The 23-year-old is expected to sign a five-year contract at Villa Park on Monday with Emery keen to have the Japan international as first choice over the 2026/27 campaign.

Aston Villa now risk having two World Cup heavyweights on the books for the 2026/27 campaign with Martinez once again failing to secure a move away. The goalkeeper had been heavily linked with a switch to Manchester United last summer but that deal collapsed, with the Red Devils ultimately signing Senne Lammens from Royal Antwerp instead.

Martinez was not included in the Aston Villa squad to take on PSG in the UEFA Super Cup last week. Marco Bizot started that clash, with James Wright and Owen Asemota on the bench.

Ranking Aston Villa goalkeeping options

Aston Villa manager Unai Emery looks on

Aston Villa and Emery had made a big decision in allowing World Cup winner Martinez to leave the club this summer, even if the player had been halfway out the door at Villa Park 12 months ago. The Villans will no doubt push to find Martinez a new destination and avoid paying the wages of both the Argentine and Suzuki, but who is the best option between the sticks for the club?

5 Owen Asemota

Asemota only signed his first professional contract with the club in September and is yet to feature for the first team. The 18-year-old is a former Arsenal academy member and has represented England at youth level, but still has a lot of learning to do, despite featuring on the bench against PSG.

4 James Wright

Wright offers greater experience to Asemota but is also yet to receive first team minutes and is not a viable back-up option for Emery quite yet. The 21-year-old, who was an unused substitute in the Europa League final, enjoyed a successful loan stint at Real Union in the third tier of Spanish football over the 2024/25 campaign. Wright has been a prominent figure at Under-18 and Under-21 level for Villa.

Fees correct prior to summer 2026

All 10 found — excellent!

3 Marco Bizot

Bizot was a reliable deputy to Martinez last season, with his best performances coming in the Europa League. The 35-year-old made 14 appearances last term but his best years are past him, with a crazy red card against Newcastle United in the FA Cup pointing to a player without the credentials for the number one spot.

2 Emi Martinez

Martinez has been a superb servant to the club but, at 33 years old, Aston Villa are right to be thinking about the future. The goalkeeper enjoyed another impressive World Cup campaign, playing through the final with a broken finger and making 11 saves against Spain. Martínez remains a strong first choice option.

1 Zion Suzuki

Suzuki is the most exciting option for Aston Villa. The Parma star is yet to play European football but has all the credentials of a goalkeeper ready to make that step up. The 23-year-old, who still offers huge potential, played every minute of the World Cup for Japan. Suzuki offers an imposing physical presence and willingness to affect play by coming off his line. His signing would be a coup for Villa.

Continue Reading

Sports

Rory McIlroy’s Honest Verdict on Donald Trump’s Golfing Ability

Published

on

By


Rory McIlroy gave his honest verdict on Donald Trump’s golf ability after playing with the incumbent US president at the Trump International Golf Club in Florida.

Trump is a keen golfer, and has mixed it up with some of the biggest stars from all walks of life. Footballers Harry Kane and Wayne Rooney are among the big names, as well as the likes of Bryson DeChambeau and Jack Nicklaus from the world of golf. He’s even played a round with Northern Irishman and two-time Masters winner Rory McIlroy.

Given Trump’s long affinity with the sport, there’s no surprise that he has been praised for his ability on the course. McIlroy certainly saw this as he gave his thoughts on how good he actually is after their round together back in 2017.

Rory McIlroy Analyses Donald Trump’s Golf Ability

Rory McIlroy and Donald Trump

One of the many things that has become synonymous with Trump throughout his years in the spotlight is his affinity with golf. He owns several courses, and has even brought the passion into the world of politics. He’s been seen playing with other world leaders, while also remaining an owner of several locations.

McIlroy isn’t the only golfing legend to rub shoulders with Trump, as Jack Nicklaus has also talked about playing with him. When asked where Trump ranks compared to other presidents, he said: “Well, the ones I’ve played with, actually Trump is probably the best player.”

Bryson DeChambeau has even given his verdict on Trump’s ability before, after they played a round together for the American’s YouTube channel.

Similarly, McIlroy also had plenty of praise for Trump, as he said after their round together: “He probably shot around 80. He’s a decent player for a guy in his 70s.”

Rory McIlroy and Donald Trump

It seems evident that all the time on the course has been paying off for the US president, as McIlroy doesn’t talk up everybody’s ability.

Rory McIlroy Criticised For Playing With Donald Trump

Playing with Trump certainly divided opinions, but McIlroy affirmed that the interest in golf was the only thing that brought them together.

He said: “Golf was our common ground, nothing else. I’ve travelled all over the world and have been fortunate enough to befriend people from many different countries, beliefs, and cultures.”

Furthermore, he also responded to some of the political claims sent his way after the event, saying: “To be called a fascist and a bigot by some people because I spent time in someone’s company is just ridiculous.”

Rory McIlroy Pamela Smith via Imagn Images

In terms of a return to professional golf for the Northern Irishman, he is still dealing with an injury. Since January, McIlroy has been dealing with a stress fracture in his ribs, which occurred during the BMW SA Open.

He is still eyeing a return to competition at the WGC-Mexico Championship, which occurs next week. Mcllroy has also said, however, that he isn’t looking to rush anything, and potentially run the risk of aggravating the problem.

Continue Reading

Sports

Al Hilal Want to Sign Chelsea Star Pedro Neto as £100m Demands Emerge

Published

on

By


Saudi Pro League giants Al Hilal are eyeing a move to sign Chelsea star Pedro Neto this summer, GIVEMESPORT sources understand.

The Blues have seen a major squad transformation this summer with ten new arrivals for new manager Xabi Alonso, with Morgan Rogers, Maxence Lacroix, Marco Palestra, Pep Chevarria, Danny Welbeck, Jordan, Henderson, Geovany Quenda, Emmanuel Emegha, and Valentin Barco all joining.

The club are now expected to see players depart before the transfer window closes on September 1st, and a number of their top stars are understood to be attracting interest in the final weeks, including the Portugal international.

GIVEMESPORT sources understand that Al Hilal are showing an interest in Neto as they look to strengthen their attack further, having already signed Crysencio Summerville from West Ham earlier in the window for around £68m.

As of Monday morning (August 17), GIVEMESPORT understands that Chelsea have not received a formal bid for the winger from Al Hilal or anyone else. The west London club have also now put a £100m valuation on the 26-year-old, with Neto having a contract at Stamford Bridge that runs until 2031.

Neto has been a regular for Chelsea since joining from Wolves in 2024, racking up an impressive 103 appearances over three seasons, scoring 19 times. He is also expected to be part of Alonso’s squad this season should he stay, having featured during pre-season since returning from the World Cup.

In the 2025/26 season, Neto played 34 times in the Premier League, and it’s understood that Man City are also showing an interest in the winger, with former boss Enzo Maresca known to be a huge fan.

Pedro Neto Premier League Stats 25/26 (per 90)

Appearances

30(4)

Minutes

2643

Goals

5

Assists

6

Shots

1.4

Key Passes

1.6

Dribbles

1.4

Fees correct prior to summer 2026

All 10 found — excellent!

Chelsea Don’t Need to Sell

Portugal's Pedro Neto reacts as his boot comes off REUTERS/Kai Pfaffenbach

Chelsea may have a bloated squad heading into the final weeks of the window, but Neto is a player who has proven his worth at the highest level.

He’s been picked regularly by several different managers, with Liam Rosenior even describing him as ‘world-class’ during the most recent campaign.

‘Pedro Neto brings us so many different qualities that we need,” he said.

“For me, he’s a world-class player, a world-class winger. And what I love about him, as talented as he is and as gifted as he is, what he sacrifices for the team is top.”

Alongside Cole Palmer, Morgan Rogers, Estevao, and Quenda, Chelsea have an abundance of quality options in attack if they keep Neto in the squad, but a major offer could be enough to convince them to do business before the deadline.

Continue Reading

Trending