Metro
Four Almajiri die after suspected food poisoning in Kano
Four Almajiri (Quranic students) have reportedly died after consuming contaminated food in Kano.
The affected students were said to be from Malam Iliyasu Mai Tsangaya, Kadage Sharifai, in Ungogo Local Government Area of Kano Metropolitan Council.
A statement by the National Chairman of the Tsangaya Media Network, Alaramma Sani Musa Nuhu, made available to newsmen in Kano, explained that the affected students were taken to Malam Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital following the suspected food poisoning for medical attention.
Alaramma Sani Musa Nuhu stated that the students, however, reportedly died at the hospital on Sunday night, August 16.
The statement did not disclose the nature of the food consumed or the substance suspected to have caused the poisoning, leaving the exact circumstances surrounding the deaths unclear.
It further stated that the remains of the deceased were subsequently buried after approval was obtained from the District Head (Dagaci) and the area police officer.
As of press time, the police authorities were yet to issue a statement on the official circumstances surrounding the incident.
Metro
Woman allegedly steals newborn after deceiving husband over pregnancy in Kebbi
The Kebbi State Police Command has arrested a 19-year-old woman, Khadija Ibrahim, over the alleged theft of a newborn baby in Zuru Local Government Area of the state.
The command disclosed this in a statement issued on Sunday by its spokesperson, SP Bashir Usman, saying the suspect allegedly took the baby shortly after the mother, Fatima Muhammad, gave birth on July 23, 2025.
According to the statement, Ibrahim, a resident of Rikoto, had offered to help Muhammad fetch hot water after she delivered her baby but allegedly fled with the newborn.
Police said preliminary investigation indicated that the suspect had allegedly been under pressure over not having a child, particularly as some of her peers had already given birth.
The command alleged that Ibrahim had deceived her husband for about nine months into believing that she was pregnant. After Muhammad gave birth, she allegedly took the baby and presented the child to her husband as their own.
Following sustained investigation, the suspect was arrested on August 14, 2026, while the baby was recovered and reunited with the biological mother.
The police said Ibrahim remains in custody and would be charged to court after the completion of investigations.
The Commissioner of Police, CP Umar M. Hadejia, commended the officers involved in the investigation for their diligence and professionalism, particularly for ensuring the safe recovery of the child.
Metro
Osun: Police investigate death of woman found in church premises
Osun State Police Command has commenced an investigation into the death of an unidentified woman whose body was discovered on the premises of a church in the Obelewo area of Osogbo.
The woman was reportedly found with her left wrist severed. The missing body part suspected to have been taken away by unidentified individuals.
Force Public Relations Officer, Ani Iniedu, disclosed the development in a statement on Sunday, noting that police detectives visited the scene after the discovery was reported.
According to the statement, preliminary findings indicated that the woman had allegedly been killed and that her left wrist was cut off and removed from the scene.
“The investigations revealed that the deceased was slaughtered and her left wrist severed and taken away by unknown persons,” Iniedu said.
The police spokesperson said investigators were yet to determine the identity of the deceased, the motive for the killing or the circumstances that led to her death.
He added that efforts were underway to identify the woman and gather further evidence that could help unravel the circumstances surrounding the incident.
“The corpse was deposited at the hospital mortuary for autopsy,” Iniedu stated.
Meanwhile, the State Command’s Investigation Department has taken over the case and commenced investigations aimed at identifying those responsible and determining the motive behind the killing.
Metro
Osun election: Police arrest 295 suspects
The Nigeria Police Force has arrested 295 suspects in connection with various incidents recorded during Saturday’s Osun State governorship election.
Of the 295 suspects apprehended, 293 were released on bail after undergoing screening, while two remained in police custody for further investigation and possible prosecution.
The arrests formed part of heightened security operations deployed across the state to prevent electoral violence, vote-buying and other offences capable of disrupting the election.
Speaking with newsmen on Sunday, the Force spokesperson, Ani Iniedu, confirmed that two suspects were still being held pending the conclusion of investigations into the allegations against them.
“295 suspects were arrested during the election, and 293 have been released on bail after screening. So, we have two of them in custody for prosecution,” he said.
The police had warned political parties, candidates, supporters and other stakeholders against actions that could undermine the electoral process, stressing that offenders would be arrested and prosecuted in accordance with the law.
Meanwhile, the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, NSCDC, said its personnel did not arrest suspect during the election.
NSCDC spokesperson, Afolabi Babawale, said the Corps deployed a comprehensive security arrangement across the state’s local government areas and wards to deter potential troublemakers and respond promptly to emerging security threats.
He explained that the deployment involved both armed and unarmed personnel stationed at strategic locations, with the objective of protecting voters, polling units and electoral materials.
“Three fully armed patrol teams, equipped with Hilux vehicles, were stationed in every local government area to maintain a visible deterrent and respond to major incidents,” Babawale said.
He added that three unarmed officers were assigned to each polling centre to maintain order and monitor activities, while two armed personnel were positioned about 500 metres away from every polling centre.
“Two armed personnel were positioned 500 metres away from each polling centre, bringing the total deployment to five officers assigned to cover each polling unit,” he said.
The security measures were aimed at maintaining law and order throughout the voting, counting and other stages of the electoral process.
-
Politics2 days ago
Osun Election Results 2026 LIVE: Polling unit-by-unit, LGA updates
-
Politics2 days agoOsun Decides: Accord heads for victory as Adeleke leads Oyebamiji by over 66,000 votes
-
Sports2 days agoBayern Munich’s Saibari Praised For Actions as Jamal Musiala Collapses
-
Entertainment1 day agoAdemola Adeleke Wins Second Term as Osun Governor After Closely Fought Election
-
Sports2 days agoMo Salah’s Highlights From Trabzonspor Debut Spark Big Reaction
-
Politics2 days agoOsun Decides: Adeleke leads as INEC uploads results of 24 LGs
-
Politics2 days agoSowore blasts Davido over political position on Osun election
-
Politics2 days agoOsun Decides: INEC uploads over 80 per cent of election results to IReV
