Sports
Man Utd Icon Roy Keane Named the 3 Toughest Midfielders of His Generation
Roy Keane has always been happy to share his opinions of those he’s played with and against throughout his career, and his verdict on the toughest midfielders of his era is no different.
Speaking on Sky Sports’ Monday Night Football back in 2019, the Manchester United legend was asked to reflect on the standout midfielders he faced during his playing days.
Rather than reaching for the obvious superstar names, he singled out three players who gave him more than just a hard time during one of the most thrilling eras in Premier League history.
It says plenty about the players in question, given Keane’s well-documented rivalry with former Arsenal captain Patrick Vieira.
What Roy Keane Said About His Toughest Opponents
It’s a distinctly British trio that Keane singled out over the likes of Vieira, with the Irishman explaining exactly what made facing them such a challenge:
“David Batty and these players. Rob Lee would always give you a hard game. Gary Speed, God rest his soul. These were brilliant players. Honestly, they’d always give you a tough game. OK, they probably didn’t have the headline name of a Vieira or all these boys, but every week you were always up against some very good players.”
The 55-year-old, who retired in 2006 before moving into coaching and punditry, didn’t hold back on just how physical those battles could get. “And, again, Gary was pretty nasty. Batty was nasty. People always remember me kicking people – a lot of these lads were kicking me! I was just retaliating over the years, that’s all.”
All three built reputations as combative, tenacious midfielders. Batty was renowned as one of the hardest tacklers of his generation, particulary in his time with hometown club Leeds United. Lee offered a physical, box-to-box presence, and Speed combined a tireless work-rate with genuine quality across two decades at the top level.
Trio Starred For Kevin Keegan at Newcastle
All three players were key figures for Newcastle, with Lee and Batty featuring in the late Kevin Keegan’s side of the mid-1990s, which came agonisingly close to ending their long wait for a league title, finishing just four points behind Alex Ferguson’s Manchester United in the unforgettable 1995/96 title race.
The Magpies famously led by as many as 12 points before United reeled them in, with Batty and Lee part of the engine room that kept “The Entertainers” competing at the top of the table throughout that campaign.
It remains the closest Newcastle have ever come to Premier League glory.
Sports
Arsenal to Step Up Osimhen Interest as Barcelona Eye Gyokeres
Barcelona are reportedly set to explore a potential deal for Arsenal striker Viktor Gyokeres who could make way for Victor Osimhen.
The Swedish striker only joined the Gunners last summer, arriving from Sporting CP for £54.8 million. Signed to lead the line as a prolific number nine, he encountered a topsy-turvy debut season at the Emirates.
A new attacker remains a priority for Mikel Arteta after top target Vinicius Junior snubbed the Premier League champions and penned a new long-term deal with Real Madrid. The focus seems to have shifted from a winger, as GIVEMESPORT sources understand that conversations have been held with Galatasaray for Osimhen.
Barcelona To Come Calling For Arsenal’s Gyokeres
According to Spanish journalist Jose Alvarez of El Chiringuito TV, Barca are expected to make a move to explore Gyokeres’ situation. The Catalans view the Swede as a replacement for Ferran Torres, who joined Paris Saint-Germain last week.
There hasn’t been much talk of Gyokeres leaving Arsenal this summer, given he’s only spent one year in North London. He started the 2025-26 campaign unconvincingly but grew as the season progressed, much to the delight of Arteta.
The Gunners boss called him ‘phenomenal’ after he scored a brace in a 4-0 win over Atletico Madrid in the Champions League’s league phase. He later hailed the 28-year-old for working hard and being rewarded with a superb run of form in April:
“Viktor has been working extremely hard, the level of demands he puts on himself are incredibly high. He always wants to learn, he’s always asking questions, he always wants to do extra things.”
Gyokeres didn’t start Arsenal’s 3-0 win over Manchester City in the Community Shield on Sunday. Arteta preferred Kai Havertz to lead the line and that might indicate that the former Coventry City frontman won’t be the starting number nine this season.
For Barca, it could hint that the North Londoners are prepared to do business for the Swede for the right price. Interest in Osimhen is also worth noting, and it makes sense for the English champions to sell Gyokeres and turn to the Nigerian.
Selling Gyokeres Would Surely Mean Osimhen Arrives
Osimhen would undoubtedly be an upgrade on Gyokeres and he might be the missing piece for Arsenal and their mission to win a first-ever Champions League trophy. They came agonisingly close last season, losing on penalties to PSG in the final.
That was another game that served as evidence that Arteta doesn’t truly trust the Swedish star, as he started on the bench. Swooping for Osimhen, you’re landing a guaranteed starting number nine who has been a massive success throughout his club career.
|
Viktor Gyokeres vs Victor Osimhen (domestic leagues 2025-26) |
||
|
Gyokeres |
Osimhen |
|
|
Matches Played (Starts) |
36 (26) |
22 (19) |
|
Minutes Played |
2,224 |
1,707 |
|
Goals |
14 |
15 |
|
Non-Penalty Goals |
11 |
13 |
|
Penalty Goals (Att) |
3 (3) |
2 (2) |
|
Assists |
1 |
5 |
|
Goal Contributions (G+A) |
15 |
20 |
|
Goals per 90 mins |
0.57 |
0.79 |
|
Non-Penalty G/90 |
0.45 |
0.69 |
|
G+A per 90 mins |
0.61 |
1.05 |
A Gyokeres sale could raise a decent fee that can be put towards a move for the Galatasaray striker. A deal is going to be expensive due to salary demands along with a transfer fee, as he joined the Turkish Super Lig club from Napoli for £63m in July 2025.
Sports
Sean Strickland Held Nothing Back With X-Rated Tweet After UFC 330
UFC Middleweight Champion Sean Strickland unleashed a brutal x-rated rant after being left fuming by what he saw during this past weekend’s UFC 330 event in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
The card at the city’s Xfinity Mobile Arena was headlined by Islam Makhachev’s unanimous decision victory over Ireland’s Ian Machado Garry. Strickland, like millions of fans around the world, tuned in to catch one of the biggest fights of the summer.
However, it was the actions of veteran coach Din Thomas on the UFC 330 post-show that sent the 35-year-old American into a rage.
Thomas has been known to perform analyst duties for the UFC on big shows, but was primarily working as a cornerman on Saturday night, overseeing Gillian Robertson’s world title bid against defending UFC Strawweight Champion, Mackenzie Dern, in the co-main event.
A decorated fighter in his prime, Thomas holds victories over popular UFC legends such as Matt Serra, Jens Pulver and Clay Guida.
However, he was unable to help steer Robertson to a victory. Dern held off a late surge from the Canadian to win via unanimous decision, in what was the inaugural defense of her title.
It was ultimately a disappointing night for Robertson, who had been on a five-fight winning-streak prior to taking on Dern. The challenger was beaten comprehensively in the first three rounds of the fight, just about surviving an opening round deep rear-naked choke. She made a late bid to turn the tide in the fifth and final round, but it was never going to be enough to take the win.
Speaking on the post-show, Thomas couldn’t hide his disappointment at the result and shocked his colleagues at the broadcast desk by making a surprise announcement about his future as a cornerman.
“I told myself I would continue to do this until I took Gillian as far as she could go,” Thomas stated on the live UFC 330 broadcast. I think that might be as far as she can go, and I am officially retiring from cornering fighters tonight,” the 49-year-old added.
While Thomas was undoubtedly emotional about the result, as it appeared he was putting down his fighter when she was at her lowest moment following a tough defeat in the biggest fight of her career.
Sean Strickland’s X-Rated Tweet After Watching UFC 330
Among those to have a major issue with Thomas’ handling of the situation was Strickland, who took to social media to call out the comments, pointing out that he had suffered setbacks in his career before going on to achieve greatness in the Octagon.
“Din Thomas is a f****** c***. I’ve had my ass kicked in multiple weight classes through my career and won two titles. You’re a d*******. It’s probably better you retire. You’re a s*** coach,” Strickland declared.
“You only lose when you quit… Din sounds like you’re a f****** loser!”
In the wake of Strickland’s tweet, Thomas has apologized for his comments, admitting he was “ashamed and embarrassed” by them.
Speaking about the controversy on the Deep Waters podcast, Thomas issued a full apology to Robertson, during which he stated:
“I selfishly stole her moment that night, and instead of congratulating her on her run, I stole her moment. And I want to apologize to her for that because I stole her moment, and I was completely wrong.
“I’ve always had your back, and I want you to know that I’m always here for you,” he told Robertson. “I’m always going to support you, and whatever you need, I’m always here for you, the same way I’ve been for you the last seven years when it was just us.”
As of now, though, Thomas has yet to indicate that he will return to coaching.
Sports
Man Utd Injury Update on 8 Stars Ahead of Premier League Opener vs Hull
Manchester United are preparing for their Premier League opener for the 2026/27 season against Hull City on Saturday afternoon, and Michael Carrick already knows what players are likely to be available for the game.
The Red Devils completed their pre-season campaign with a 4-2 defeat to AC Milan, now managed by former boss Ruben Amorim, this past weekend, and all preparations will now turn towards their trip to the MKM Stadium.
After a summer World Cup which saw several Old Trafford stars unavailable for much of the pre-season clashes that saw them play in Sweden, Norway, Finland, and Norway, there have been question marks about the availability of certain players for the game. But the situation is now much clearer following the final pre-season game.
|
Man Utd Injuries |
||
|---|---|---|
|
Player |
Injury |
Potential Return Date |
|
Matthijs De Ligt |
Back |
06/09/2026 |
|
Benjamin Sesko |
Shin |
22/08/2026 |
|
Manuel Ugarte |
Knee |
01/03/2027 |
|
Mason Mount |
Ankle |
Unknown |
|
Kobbie Mainoo |
Back |
22/08/2026 |
|
Lisandro Martinez |
Thigh |
22/08/2026 |
|
Karl Darlow |
Surgery |
22/08/2026 |
|
Tom Heaton |
Hamstring |
Unknown |
Matthijs De Ligt
De Ligt suffered a back injury in November 2025 following a 2-1 win over Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park, and despite it initially being described minor, the Netherlands international hasn’t played since.
In fact, the centre-back was forced to undergo surgery during the summer, and while he has now returned to first-team training, he is not expected to be available to play for a little while longer.
De Ligt didn’t feature at all during pre-season and will need to build up some minutes before being ready for the first-team, which may come after the international break.
Tom Heaton
The veteran goalkeeper signed a new one-year extension at the club this summer to stay as part of the squad, but he suffered a hamstring injury during the recent pre-season friendly clash against PSG.
Heaton was highly unlikely to play in the Premier League anyway, having never appeared in the competition before for the club, but he is now unlikely to be available for a period of time as a result of the injury. Senne Lammens will be first-choice, and should start against Hull.
Benjamin Sesko
A successful first season with Man Utd for Sesko was ended abruptly after he was forced off injury in the 3-2 win over Liverpool at Old Trafford in May with a shin injury.
It was expected that the issue was relatively minor, but Sesko has been unable to recover over the summer and is yet to feature at all during pre-season. The Slovenia international is now highly unlikely to be fit to start against Hull as a result, although he could potentially return and claim a spot on the substitutes bench.
Manuel Ugarte
Manuel Ugarte wasn’t expected to be a Man Utd player this summer with the club looking to move him on two summers after his arrival from PSG, but the Uruguay international suffered a serious knee injury at the World Cup and that move was called off.
Now the midfielder faces a long rehabilitation phase as he recovers from surgery on his ACL, and he won’t be available for the rest of the year, with a return in February or March looking most likely.
Mason Mount
Mount has had an injury-hit spell at Old Trafford since joining from Chelsea three years ago, but looked set to have a new role under Carrick this season after being deployed in a deeper midfield role during pre-season.
His performances were impressive and had him in line for a start, before he suffered an injury in the first-half of the draw with PSG, which has caused him to miss the following two games against Leeds and AC Milan.
The club have said that it’s a minor injury and him missing those games was a precaution, but his injury record suggests it could end up being more, and he should be considered a doubt for the Premier League opener.
Kobbie Mainoo
Mainoo returned to Man Utd following a disappointing World Cup where he didn’t play a single minute for Thomas Tuchel, and he missed the third-place playoff win over France due to a minor injury.
But the midfield sensation is now fit and made his first appearance of pre-season during the defeat to AC Milan as a second-half substitute. He’s available to play, but a lack of preparation so far this season means he could start on the bench, with summer signings Andrey Santos and Youri Tielemans more likely to get the nod.
Fees correct prior to summer 2026
All 10 found — excellent!
Lisandro Martinez
Lisandro Martinez returned from a serious knee injury last season and became a key member of the team under Carrick in the second half of the campaign. He was then key for Argentina as they reached a second consecutive World Cup final, before being forced off with an injury during the defeat to Spain.
But Martinez’s thigh problem was minor and the defender played 30 minutes in the pre-season clash with AC Milan at the weekend. He’s fit and available to play should Carrick pick him, but Ayden Heaven has impressed throughout pre-season and seems more likely to get the nod at this stage.
Karl Darlow
Darlow joined on a free transfer from Leeds this summer, but after undergoing a minor surgery at the end of the last campaign he has yet to don the shirt of his new employer.
The expectation is that he will be fit to be part of the squad in the near future, but much like Heaton, he isn’t expected to be picked before Senne Lammens anyway, so his absence isn’t a huge blow while the Belgian is fit and available.
-
Politics2 days agoOsun Decides: Accord heads for victory as Adeleke leads Oyebamiji by over 66,000 votes
-
Entertainment1 day agoAdemola Adeleke Wins Second Term as Osun Governor After Closely Fought Election
-
Politics2 days agoSowore blasts Davido over political position on Osun election
-
Politics2 days agoOsun Decides: Adeleke leads as INEC uploads results of 24 LGs
-
Sports2 days agoMo Salah’s Highlights From Trabzonspor Debut Spark Big Reaction
-
Politics2 days agoOsun Decides: INEC uploads over 80 per cent of election results to IReV
-
Metro1 day agoFire agency recovers two bodies as tanker summersaults in Ibadan [PHOTO]
-
Politics2 days agoOsun Election Live Updates: INEC begins collation, announcement of results
