Connect with us

Metro

Goods worth millions of naira destroyed as fire ravages Ibadan market

Published

on


Goods worth millions of naira have been destroyed in a fire that gutted a section of Gbagi Market in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital.

The incident occurred at 348 ZI/E Milo Zone, Bola Ige International Market, Gbagi, Ibadan.

The fire started around noon on Monday before it was eventually extinguished.

DAILY POST gathered that some shops within the market were affected by the inferno, with goods worth millions of naira were destroyed.

No life was lost in the incident.

Chairman of the Oyo State Fire Service, Hon. Maroof Akinwande, confirmed the incident.

He added that an investigation was ongoing to unravel the cause of the fire.

Akinwande, in a statement made available to DAILY POST on Tuesday morning, said, “on arrival, it was discovered that two out of a row of nine lock-up shops were engulfed in flames.

“The fire crew immediately commenced firefighting operations, preventing the fire from spreading to the nearby shops and properties.

“No casualty was recorded. The post-fire investigation is ongoing to determine the root cause of the fire incident.”



Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro

Suspected gunmen kill 20, injure others in Plateau

Published

on

By


Suspected gunmen have attacked Binper community in Bwai District of Mangu Local Government Area of Plateau State, killing over 20 people.

The attack reportedly occurred around midnight and continued into the early hours of Tuesday, with the assailants moving from house to house and attacking residents while they were asleep.

The incident came less than a week after three people were killed amid tensions between Fulani and Mwaghavul communities, which had accused each other of arson.

The National President of the Mwaghavul Development Association (MDA), Bulus Dabit, said the attackers stormed the community in large numbers and were armed with sophisticated weapons.

He said the assailants forced their way into homes, opened the doors of sleeping residents and attacked them.

“The attackers in their numbers and with sophisticated weapons, moved from house to house, forcing their way in and attacking residents in their sleep, resulting in the casualty of those killed and others wounded,” Dabit said.

He said the community came under attack last night and in the early hours of Tuesday, adding that the attackers moved from house to house and killed residents.

Dabit said more than 20 deaths had been confirmed as of Tuesday morning, while several others sustained various degrees of injuries.

He added that some residents were still missing and their whereabouts remained unknown.

The spokesperson for the Plateau State Police Command, SP Alfred Alabo, confirmed the attack to DAILY POST but said he could not provide details because the police were still conducting operations in the area.

He said the command was yet to conclude its assessment of the situation.



Continue Reading

Metro

Police nab two ‘one chance’ suspects in Abeokuta, foil robbery attempt

Published

on

By


Operatives of the Violent Crime Response Unit, VCRU, of the Ogun State Police Command have arrested two suspects belonging to a notorious ‘one chance’ robbery syndicate operating within the Abeokuta metropolis.

The suspects, identified as Olajide Rasaq, 42, and Bidemi Tijani, 29, were apprehended following an intelligence-led operation on Saturday.

DAILY POST learnt that the command had received actionable intelligence revealing that members of the syndicate, who routinely disguise themselves as commercial taxi operators to dispossess unsuspecting passengers of their mobile phones, cash and other valuables, had been sighted in a taxi heading towards the Ita-Oshin area of Abeokuta.

Acting promptly on the tip-off, tactical operatives of the VCRU chased the fleeing robbers, intercepted the vehicle and apprehended the two suspects.

Confirming the arrest to DAILY POST on Tuesday, the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Oluseyi Babaseyi said both suspects, during interrogation, confessed to being active members of the ‘one chance’ robbery syndicate terrorising commuters within the Abeokuta metropolis.

Babaseyi stated that efforts were ongoing to track down and apprehend other fleeing members of the syndicate, establish the full extent of their activities and recover exhibits.

He quoted the State Commissioner of Police, Bode Ojajuni as commending the operatives for their swift response, operational vigilance and tactical professionalism.

Ojajuni reiterated the command’s firm commitment to purging the state of criminal elements, warning that perpetrators of crime would find no safe haven in Ogun State.

The CP also urged residents and commuters to remain vigilant and report suspicious persons or criminal activities through the Gateway Shield or the police emergency lines.



Continue Reading

Metro

Bauchi police arrest two suspected thugs, rescue three victims in Ningi

Published

on

By


The Bauchi State Police Command has arrested two suspected thugs and rescued three victims following an attack in Bununu Town, Ningi Local Government Area of the state.

The incident occurred on Monday, August 17, 2026, when police operatives conducting routine patrol in the town reportedly sighted a group of hoodlums attacking three residents.

According to the command, the victims, aged 30, 31 and 28, all males and residents of Bununu, sustained injuries to their heads and other parts of their bodies during the attack.

The patrol team intervened promptly, leading to the arrest of two alleged members of the group.

The suspects were identified as Ibrahim Hassan, 23, and Bilal Hassan, 22, both residents of Bununu Town.

The command said other members of the gang fled the scene following the arrival of the police.

Police operatives also recovered a sharp knife and a sharp-edged animal horn, locally known as “kaho”, from the suspects.

“The timely intervention of the Police patrol team led to the arrest of two of the attackers, while other members of the gang fled the scene,” the command said in a statement signed by its Police Public Relations Officer, SP Nafiu Habib.

The three injured victims were immediately evacuated to the General Hospital, Bununu, where they received medical attention. The command said they are currently in stable condition.

The suspects reportedly confessed to the crime during interrogation, while the police have commenced a thorough investigation into the incident.

The Commissioner of Police, Sani-Omolori Aliyu, ordered a comprehensive investigation with a view to prosecuting the suspects in court.

The commissioner also warned that the command would not tolerate thuggery, hooliganism or any form of violent conduct capable of threatening peace and public safety in the state.

“The Command will not condone any act of thuggery, hooliganism or violent conduct capable of threatening public peace,” he warned.

Meanwhile, the police said the situation in Bununu has returned to normal, with additional personnel deployed to the area to strengthen security, monitor developments and prevent any further breakdown of law and order.

The command urged residents to remain vigilant and promptly report suspicious activities to the nearest police station.



Continue Reading

Trending