Connect with us

Metro

Benue: Police bust vehicle theft gang, recover two motorcycles, car

Published

on


Operatives of the Benue State Police Command have arrested five suspects allegedly linked to a vehicle theft syndicate operating in Benue and neighbouring states, recovering two Bajaj motorcycles and a Toyota Corolla.

This was confirmed in a statement signed by the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Orchia Peter Aondongu, on behalf of the Commissioner of Police, Benue State Command, on August 18, 2026.

He said the operation followed a petition submitted to the Commissioner of Police by a resident of Gboko, who reported the alleged theft of his red Bajaj motorcycle valued at N1.34 million.

According to the Command, the motorcycle was allegedly obtained from the victim under false pretences after a suspect claimed he wanted to borrow it and promised to return it the following day.

Following the complaint, detectives attached to the Command Monitoring Unit launched an intelligence-led investigation, deploying advanced tracking techniques that eventually led to the arrest of the principal suspect.

Preliminary findings reportedly showed that the suspect was connected to the theft of other motorcycles and a Toyota Corolla, which were allegedly taken to Dan-Anacha in Gassol Local Government Area of Taraba State.

Acting on the information gathered, detectives proceeded to Taraba State, where an accomplice and three other suspects were arrested.

The police said two red Bajaj motorcycles and a Toyota Corolla were recovered during the operation and retained as exhibits.

The Command said efforts were ongoing to apprehend other members of the syndicate who were still at large, establish the full extent of their alleged activities and recover other stolen vehicles.

The Commissioner of Police urged residents to remain vigilant and report suspicious activities or suspected criminal conduct to the Police.

He reaffirmed the Command’s commitment to protecting lives and property and ensuring that those involved in criminal activities were brought to justice.

The police said the investigation into the case was still ongoing and that further updates would be made available to the public.



Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro

Anambra man hires assassins to kill friend after duping him in fake land deal

Published

on

By


The Anambra State Police Command has uncovered the circumstances surrounding the gruesome murder of a 56-year old man, Mr Kelechi Madu, in Awkuzu, Oyi Local Government Area of the state. 

The man had been declared missing some days back, but was later discovered dead, with police investigation showing that his death was plotted by his friend in connivance with others, after duping him of money for an inexistent property.

A press release by the state police command’s spokesperson, Tochukwu Ikenga, said the revelation was after the arrest of the deceased’s friend, Mr Ifeanyi Nwankwo, 32 years old, who allegedly confessed to plotting the murder and engaging two others to execute the act.

Ikenga said, “Following the report, on the 18th of August 2026 from the wife of the deceased, that her husband had gone out on the evening of 17th August 2026 and had not returned home.

“Police operatives, in collaboration with members of the local vigilante group and the deceased’s family, immediately commenced inquiries and a search operation to establish his whereabouts.

“In the evening of the same day, however, the wife returned to the station in distress and reported that her husband had been found dead in a nearby bush at Umuobi, Awkuzu.”

Ikenga said police operatives immediately mobilised to the scene, where the deceased was found lying lifeless with a deep axe cut to his head. 

He said in the course of the investigation, the Command arrested Mr Ifeanyi Nwankwo, a friend of the deceased, who confessed to his involvement in the planning and killing of Mr Kelechi Madu. 

“Preliminary investigation revealed that the suspect allegedly obtained money fraudulently from the deceased under the guise of assisting him to acquire a piece of land. In an attempt to conceal the alleged fraudulent transaction and suppress the money obtained from the deceased, the suspect reportedly hired two other persons to murder him.

“The Commissioner of Police, Anambra State Command, CP Nnanna Oji Ama, psc, mnips, has directed that the investigation be intensified to identify and arrest all persons involved in the conspiracy and murder. 

“The Command is determined to ensure that every person connected to the crime is brought to justice. The Command further assures the people of Anambra State that it will continue to strengthen intelligence-led policing and community partnership to prevent violent crimes, unravel criminal activities and ensure that perpetrators face the full weight of the law,” the release stated.



Continue Reading

Metro

Millitary, CJTF overrun ISWAP terrorist camp in Borno [Video]

Published

on

By


Nigerian troops, alongside members of the Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF), have reportedly overrun an ISWAP terrorist camp in the Damboa area of Borno State.

A video showing the troops and CJTF members at the location has emerged following the reported operation.

The video was shared on X by BSN, an investigative news channel.

Several insurgents reportedly fled the camp, abandoning weapons, equipment and other materials.

DAILY POST reports that Borno State remains one of the areas worst affected by the Boko Haram insurgency and ISWAP activities in Nigeria’s Northeast.

The military, in collaboration with local security groups, including the CJTF, has continued to conduct operations aimed at dismantling terrorist camps, disrupting their activities and restoring security to affected communities.

Watch video:



Continue Reading

Metro

Police arrest six over viral video of motorists’ harassment in Lagos

Published

on

By


The Lagos State Police Command has arrested six suspects following the emergence of a viral video showing suspected miscreants allegedly harassing motorists on a Lagos road.

The command’s spokesperson, SP Abimbola Adebisi, confirmed the arrests in a post on her X handle on Thursday while responding to the footage.

The video showed suspected miscreants allegedly attempting to damage the side mirror of a vehicle, prompting concerns among members of the public.

Adebisi said the police had been monitoring the activities of individuals involved in such acts and had taken steps to address the problem before the video gained attention online.

She said six suspects were subsequently arrested along the same road in connection with the incident.

“The command wishes to clarify that it had already been on the lookout for, and taking proactive measures against, miscreants involved in such activities even before the said video surfaced online.

“Following the incident, six suspects have been arrested on the same road, and an investigation is ongoing,” she said.

The police spokesperson added that additional officers had been strategically deployed to the area to strengthen surveillance and deter further incidents.

She commended members of the public for drawing the command’s attention to the incident and urged residents to continue providing credible and timely information that could aid police operations.

Adebisi reaffirmed the command’s commitment to protecting motorists and other residents while tackling criminal activities across Lagos State.



Continue Reading

Trending