Politics
Adeleke visits Tinubu in Aso Villa, presents Certificate of Return
By Johnbosco Agbakwuru, ABUJA
President Bola Tinubu on Thursday recieved Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, where Adeleke has presented his Certificate of Return to the President following his re-election.
Adeleke, who won his re-election on Saturday, August 15 on the platform of Accord party, arrived at the forecourt of the Villa at exactly 5:25pm.
After the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC had declared Governor Adeleke winner of the governorship election, after polling 511,067 votes to defeat his closest rival, Bola Oyebamiji of the All Progressives Congress (APC), who scored 444,815 votes.
President Tinubu personally called to congratulate him on his victory.
The President described the outcome as “a fitting assurance that democracy will continue to flourish in our country” and urging the governor to unite Osun residents regardless of their political choices in the election.
Four other officials from Osun State that were spotted arriving at the State House at 5:40 include the Director-General of Adeleke Campaign Council, Senator Lere Oyewumi; member of the Council, Mr Sunday Bisi; Chief of Staff to the Governor of Osun State, Akinleye Kazeem, and Member of the House of Representatives representing the Ede North/Ede South/Egbedore/Ejigbo Federal Constituency of Osun State, Bamidele Salam.
Adeleke won the August 15 governorship election under Accord Party, by a margin of 66,252 votes.
The governor won in 19 of the state’s 30 local government areas, while Oyebamiji secured 11, in what was a keenly contested election that attracted significant political attention across the state.
Adeleke’s victory marked a significant development in Osun politics, particularly following his decision to seek re-election on the platform of the Accord Party after the state chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) adopted his candidacy and directed its structures to support his re-election bid.
His meeting with Tinubu is therefore attracting considerable political interest, coming at a time when political realignments are intensifying ahead of the 2027 general elections.
The engagement is also taking place against the backdrop of the President’s recent meetings with political leaders and senior government officials as preparations for the 2027 political season gather momentum.
www.vanguardngr.com
Politics
Why I left Kwara APC for PDP — Mustapha
By Juliet Umeh
Senator Saliu Mustapha, representing Kwara Central Senatorial District in the National Assembly, has explained his decision to quit the All Progressives Congress, APC, for the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, saying his defection was not a rejection of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.
Mustapha, who recently emerged as the PDP candidate for Kwara Central through a substitution process, said he left the APC because of what he described as lack of consultation, internal democracy and sense of belonging under the leadership of Governor Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq.
Speaking on Channels Television, Mustapha said: “I have not dumped President Tinubu. Like the Honourable Minister of FCT said, this Rainbow Coalition has extended to Kwara too.
“That is why it was deliberate to pick the PDP as our platform. It is not just Senator Saliu Mustapha. It is as a result of the coalition of the Otoge Progressives, the G15 and the Elder Caucus.”
According to him, members of the groups became alienated by the manner in which the APC was being managed in the state.
He said: “We have all felt alienated from the way and manner Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq is running the APC in Kwara.”
Mustapha said his decision was also informed by the failure of the party leadership to adequately consult stakeholders ahead of the recent primaries.
“If there had been proper management and proper sense of belonging or consultation, we wouldn’t have gotten to this level,” he said.
The senator alleged that the APC primary process was flawed, describing it as a “sham”.
He said: “You announced that the primaries will start after the Jumu’ah prayers, and the results were announced by 4pm. How fast can they bring the results? When would the agents have arrived for them to do the coalition? It was a sham.”
Mustapha insisted that his movement to the PDP was not motivated by personal disappointment over the APC ticket.
“This is not a Saliu Mustapha decision. The entire group, the Otoge Progressives, had an agreement, a meeting and sharing formula with the PDP,” he said.
He also maintained that the coalition remained committed to President Tinubu’s 2027 ambition.
“I have not dumped President Tinubu,” Mustapha reiterated. “We are all supporting President Tinubu.”
On his expectations in the 2027 election, the senator expressed confidence that the coalition would defeat the APC in Kwara.
“I can assure you that in this election we are going for, we would have defeated Abdulrahman Abdurazaq by 12 o’clock,” he declared.
Mustapha said his ultimate objective was to “reset the political mood in Kwara” and restore wider consultation and inclusiveness in the state’s politics.
www.vanguardngr.com
Politics
ADC demands investigation into attack on member’s family home in Rivers
The African Democratic Congress, ADC, in Rivers State has called for justice and a thorough investigation into the attack and burning of the family home of one of its members in Ikwerre Local Government Area, Isaiah Thomas.
The party made the demand after visiting the family residence of Thomas at Omuoko, Aluu, on Wednesday, following the early-morning attack.
The incident occurred barely 24 hours after campaigns officially began for the presidential and National Assembly elections.
The attackers, who are yet to be identified, allegedly arrived at the family compound in large numbers, armed with guns, and set some buildings on fire.
Thomas’ mother, Uchechi Thomas, alleged that household property was also destroyed during the attack.
She said the attackers appeared to be searching for her son, who had hosted a meeting of ADC members at the family compound on Tuesday.
Speaking during the visit to the scene, the ADC governorship candidate in Rivers State, Gabriel Pidomson, condemned the attack, describing it as unacceptable and contrary to the principles of democratic participation.
He urged politicians and their supporters to embrace tolerance and conduct their activities within the law.
The ADC governorship candidate called on security agencies to “carry out a thorough and impartial investigation, identify those responsible and ensure that anyone found culpable is brought to justice.”
Pidomson also appealed for calm among residents and ADC supporters, saying political differences should be resolved “through dialogue and lawful means, rather than actions that could endanger lives and property.”
Similarly, the ADC State Chairman, Chukwudi Dimkpa, appealed to the Rivers State Commissioner of Police to ensure a comprehensive investigation and justice for those affected.
The ADC leadership reaffirmed its commitment to peaceful political participation, democratic values and the rule of law, while urging political stakeholders to work towards maintaining peace and security across Rivers State.
dailypost.ng
Politics
My village people were attacked today, talk to your people – Osun APC candidate tells Adeleke
The All Progressives Congress, APC, governorship candidate in the recently concluded governorship election in Osun State, Bola Oyebamiji, has urged Governor Ademola Adeleke to caution his supporters against attacking unsuspecting citizens of the state.
Oyebamiji told journalists at the Presidential Villa shortly after meeting with President Bola Tinubu that about five people were attacked in his village on Friday morning.
“I want to advise the governor that it is important to talk to his people. Violence kills our people and it’s not too good.
“He should talk to them so that all of us will be on the same page. Even this morning, about four or five people were attacked in my village. We have informed the security operatives.”
On the outcome of the election, Oyebamiji stressed that the party is currently reviewing the results and will make its decision known to the public soon.
DAILY POST reports that Oyebamiji lost the Saturday gubernatorial election to Governor Adeleke of the Accord Party.
dailypost.ng
-
Sports2 days agoErling Haaland Reacts to Real Madrid’s Bizarre Bernardo Silva Video
-
Metro2 days agoLagos: EFCC arraigns two over alleged sale of bank credentials for $15,000
-
Sports2 days agoEx-WWE Superstar Dawn Marie Reveals Real Reason She’s Making Adult Content
-
Sports2 days agoRomano Reveals Two More Signings Man Utd Signings Could Make After Baleba
-
Sports1 day agoMan Utd in Talks to Sign Barcelona Star Alejandro Balde
-
Politics2 days ago2027: I pity Tinubu because they’ll say he rigged after he wins - Sowunmi
-
Politics2 days ago‘Obasanjo has no electoral value’ – Atiku
-
Sports2 days agoRoy Keane Tips Bruno Fernandes For 2026-27 Premier League Award
