Connect with us

Politics

2027: Tinubu will defeat Kwankwaso in Kano — Abdulmumin Jibrin

Published

on


The member representing Kiru/Bebeji Federal Constituency of Kano State, Abdulmumin Jibrin, has expressed confidence that President Bola Tinubu will defeat former Kano State Governor, Rabiu Kwankwaso, in the state during the 2027 presidential election.

Jibrin made the prediction on Channels Television’s Politics Today on Thursday, while discussing the political contest in Kano ahead of the 2027 election.

Kwankwaso, a former two-term governor of the state, is the running mate to former Anambra State Governor Peter Obi on the ticket of the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC).

Jibrin, who previously worked closely with Kwankwaso but is now a member of Tinubu’s All Progressives Congress (APC), said his knowledge of the former governor’s political structure and strategies would help the APC counter his influence at the polls.

Asked whether Tinubu could defeat Kwankwaso in Kano, Jibrin said, “He will because many of us know the dynamics, his strategies, how he operates, the Kwankwasiyya movement, their strengths, their weaknesses, we are all here and we know how we will be able to deal with that situation.”

The lawmaker, however, acknowledged that Kwankwaso remained a formidable political force in the state, warning that the contest would not be an easy one for the APC.

“We know him very, very well, we know his strategy, he is still influential, he has supporter base in Kano. Whoever tells you he doesn’t have supporter base is not telling you the truth. So, it’s going to be a tough battle,” he said.

Jibrin argued that the configuration of the 2027 presidential contest would work in Tinubu’s favour because Kwankwaso would be contesting as a vice-presidential candidate rather than seeking the presidency himself.

“There is a difference between Kwankwaso being on the ballot as a presidential candidate and being on the ballot as a running mate. There is a sharp difference, there are completely two different things,” he said.

According to him, Kwankwaso’s presence as a presidential candidate could have significantly altered the political dynamics in Kano.

“If Kwankwaso were on the ballot as a presidential candidate, the dynamics in Kano might be different, but he is not the presidential candidate,” Jibrin added.

The lawmaker also addressed his political relationship with Kwankwaso, saying his decision to oppose his former ally was not motivated by personal animosity.

Jibrin said he remained grateful for the support Kwankwaso gave him when he was building his political career.

“Of course he gave me a push in politics and I appreciate everything and I have said repeatedly, I will continue to respect him and I will never join issues with him,” he said.

He noted that both politicians had changed political allegiances over time.

“We all changed parties and loyalties, he himself has changed party,” Jibrin added.


www.vanguardngr.com

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

2027 polls: Ideyi emerges ADC candidate for Ebonyi South Senatorial zone

Published

on

By


The opposition African Democratic Congress, ADC, Ebonyi State chapter, has held a fresh primary election for the Ebonyi South Senatorial District, with Dr Ideyi Prince Gamax emerging as the party’s candidate ahead of the 2027 general elections.

He stood as the sole aspirant in the primary, polling a total of 450 votes to emerge as the winner.

The Returning Officer and Deputy Chairman of the ADC in Ebonyi State, Dr Victor Uduma, who announced the result, stated that party members from the Ebonyi South Senatorial District participated in the primary.

Uduma said, “We had the only candidate here, Dr Ideyi Gamax, who had a total of 450 votes.

“Party members from Ebonyi South Senatorial District were particularly enthusiastic and happy and have given him the mandate to represent them in the forthcoming 2027 general election as the ADC candidate.”

Speaking after his emergence, Gamax explained that the substitution primary was conducted as part of the party’s administrative process following an earlier primary held on April 22, 2026, where he also emerged as the senatorial candidate.

Expressing confidence that the ADC would win the 2027 senatorial election in Ebonyi South, he said consultations across the district indicated that the people were eager for a change in representation.

Gamax said the people of Ebonyi South were looking towards the ADC as a vehicle for change and effective representation, as well as the delivery of the dividends of democracy.

“I am very hopeful. Our people are eager for change, and they are looking at ADC as a vehicle to bring about this change and give us the kind of representation that will benefit our people,” he said.

Dr Jennifer Adibe-Nwafor, the ADC state chairman, described the primary as peaceful and well monitored by security agencies, the media and officials of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, in the state.

She explained that the substitution primary became necessary following an alteration in the party’s earlier process, adding that the national leadership directed the state chapter to conduct a substitution primary.

According to her, the exercise, held at the ADC state secretariat on Thursday, August 20, 2026, was the authentic substitution primary recognised by the state chapter and would be forwarded to the national leadership.

Adibe-Nwafor also dismissed reports of another ongoing primary, saying she was not aware of any parallel exercise.

“If there should be any primaries, I should be the one in charge of the primaries. I am not aware of any other primaries going on anywhere,” she said.

The ADC chairman further disclosed that the party would participate in the Ebonyi State local government elections scheduled for August 22, 2026.

She expressed optimism that the party would record a strong performance in the elections.




dailypost.ng

Continue Reading

Politics

Osun election: Sowore attacks Davido over meeting with Wike 

Published

on

By


Popular Nigerian activist, Omoyele Sowore has criticised Afrobeats singer, David Adeleke, also known as Davido, over the latter’s recent outing with the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, Nyesom Wike.

DAILY POST reports that the singer and his uncle, Governor Ademola Adeleke of Osun State, visited Wike at his residence in Abuja on Thursday.

In a 16-second video currently making the rounds on social media, Davido was captured having a light conversation with Wike about the outcome of Saturday’s governorship election in Osun State.

Reacting, Sowore described them as political hustlers, wondering why the singer was “genuflecting before Nyesom Wike” despite the killing of Osun residents during the election period.

In a post on his X handle, Sowore wrote:

“Nigerian political hustlers will deceive the public, and the gullible will swallow the deception whole.

“Here is the loud and lousy @davido genuflecting before Nyesom Wike @GovWike, barely a week after their ‘agreement is agreement’ election politics in Osun, a contest marred by deadly violence and the loss of scores of lives.

“Behind all the public grandstanding, insults, and manufactured outrage, these political actors know exactly where their interests converge.

“Dissemblers. Gerrymanderers. Carpetbaggers. Political hustlers. Lying machines. When their interests are at stake, the masks come off.”

There were reports that supporters of both the All Progressives Congress, APC, and the Accord Party were murdered before and during Saturday’s election.




dailypost.ng

Continue Reading

Politics

2027: ‘Atiku a voodoo economist, not leading candidate’ – Wike

Published

on

By


Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, Nyesom Wike, has described the African Democratic Congress, ADC, presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, as a voodoo economist.

Wike made the remark while insisting that Atiku is not a leading contender in the 2027 presidential election.

He spoke in Abuja while addressing journalists in reaction to Atiku’s claim that he would not remove the fuel subsidy if elected president in 2027.

In a Facebook live session, Atiku said he would not remove the fuel subsidy because the scheme was shrouded in fraud.

He charged the Nigerian government to reveal the amount realised from the removal of the fuel subsidy and where the money was spent.

However, Wike said: “I disagree that Atiku is one of the leading presidential candidates. We have only one leading candidate, and that is Bola Tinubu.

“I have people who really deserve elections, and why did I say so? Elections are not merely about parties presenting their candidates.

“2027 is gone because we don’t have any opposition that wants to wrestle power from the government.

“Atiku, who is a voodoo economist, will say anything just to be president. This was a man who was going to remove the fuel subsidy in 2022.

“Now, in 2026, he is not going to remove the fuel subsidy. Is he going back to the fraud which he alleged the fuel subsidy was? We should be consistent in what we send to our people.”




dailypost.ng

Continue Reading

Trending