Metro
Man dies trapped inside Kano well while recovering mobile phone
A 45-year-old man, Yusuf Usman, has died after he became trapped inside a well in Kwa Town, Dawakin Tofa Local Government Area of Kano State, while attempting to retrieve his mobile phone.
The incident was contained in a statement issued by the Public Relations Officer of the Kano State Fire Service, Saminu Yusif Abdullahi.
The incident occurred on Wednesday at about 11:13 am, according to the statement.
The Fire Service said it received a distress call from one of its staff, Kabiru Tata, after which rescue officers were swiftly deployed to the scene.
“On arrival, the rescue team found the man inside a well that had been converted into a waste disposal pit,” the statement revealed.
The victim reportedly entered the well to retrieve his phone after it fell inside but was unable to find a way to climb out.
“The rescue team successfully brought him out of the well unconscious. He was later confirmed dead, reportedly due to oxygen depletion and heat inside the well,” the Fire Service said.
The body was handed over to the Ward Head of Kwa Town, Alhaji Mukhtar.
Metro
Adamawa man arraigned for stealing 27 pieces of women’s underwear
A 27-year-old man in Adamawa State, Muktar Shehu, has been arraigned over the alleged theft of 27 pieces of underwear belonging to a woman.
The charge against him is that he is a ritualist who allegedly obtained the underwear for ritual purposes.
The man, who is currently in custody after he was remanded by Chief Magistrate Court 3 in Yola following his arraignment by the Adamawa State Police Command, is from Zango Ward in Jimeta, Yola North Local Government Area.
He was taken to court by Police Prosecutor Danjuma Hamidu on charges of house trespass, theft and criminal charm.
The First Information Report tendered by the prosecutor stated that Muktar broke into the house of Halima Yakubu on August 6, 2026, and allegedly made away with 27 pieces of underwear.
According to the prosecutor, Muktar confessed to police investigators that he stole the underwear for ritual purposes.
Metro
Police arrest man for allegedly setting wife ablaze
The Kogi State Police Command has arrested a man, Jacob Irewa, for allegedly attempting to set his wife, Berida Irawo, ablaze during a domestic disagreement in Lokoja.
The command disclosed this in a statement issued on Sunday by its Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Saliu Afusat.
According to the statement, the incident reportedly occurred on Friday at about 8:30 pm at Oworo Estate, Felele, Lokoja.
“Operatives of the B Division Surveillance Team in Felele were alerted to the incident and quickly moved to the area, where they arrested the suspect,” the statement said.
The command said preliminary findings showed that the disagreement started after the victim allegedly burnt some of her husband’s clothes without his permission because she believed he was no longer using them.
The police alleged that the suspect became angry, threatened his wife, obtained petrol from his motorcycle and set her on fire.
The victim survived the attack and is currently receiving treatment at Honey Gold Hospital in Felele, Lokoja.
The police said the suspect admitted during a preliminary investigation that he had set his wife ablaze.
“The Command has commenced a comprehensive investigation to establish the circumstances surrounding the incident and gather further evidence,” the statement said.
The Commissioner of Police in Kogi State, CP Naziru Bello Kankarofi, condemned the incident and restated the command’s zero tolerance for violence, especially domestic violence.
He urged members of the public to resolve domestic disagreements through lawful means and avoid actions that could put lives at risk.
The police said the suspect would be charged to court after the completion of the investigation.
Metro
Police confirm herdsmen attack in Benue, deploy tactical teams
The Benue State Police Command has confirmed that suspected armed Fulani herdsmen attacked Aboajo Village, Mbateren Mbazum Council Ward, Ukum Local Government Area of the state, in the early hours of Sunday.
This was disclosed on Sunday in the official WhatsApp group of the Benue State Police Command by its spokesperson, DSP Orchia Aondogwu.
He said three people were killed in the attack, while four others sustained machete injuries and were taken to a medical facility for treatment.
Aondogwu said the command had deployed additional tactical and patrol teams to the area and was making concerted efforts to apprehend the perpetrators.
He said monitoring and security operations were ongoing.
-
Politics1 day ago
Osun Election Results 2026 LIVE: Polling unit-by-unit, LGA updates
-
Metro2 days agoOsun election: Police arrest officer over tear gas incident
-
Politics2 days agoOsun Decides: Live Updates, Results from Governorship Election
-
Sports2 days agoIslam Makhachev vs Ian Machado Garry Exact UK Start Time
-
Metro2 days agoKano police arrest armed robbery suspects, recover arms, stolen livestock
-
Sports2 days agoWhy Community Shield is Not at Wembley in 2026
-
Politics1 day agoOsun Decides: Accord heads for victory as Adeleke leads Oyebamiji by over 66,000 votes
-
Metro2 days agoPolice arrest 10 suspected human parts sellers in Oyo
