Metro
Son, 23, allegedly hacks mother, 60, to death in Ondo
Ore community, headquarters of Odigbo Local Government Area of Ondo State, has been engulfed in tension following the alleged killing of a 60-year-old woman, Olufunke Akuade, by his 23-year-old son, Samuel Akuade.
Samuel, on Sunday, allegedly used a cutlass to hack his mother to death in their residence at Powerline Axis, along Ore–Okitipupa Road.
With the motive behind Samuel’s action yet to be unraveled, sources in the area stated that the victim inflicted severe injuries on the deceased during the brutal attack.
While confirming the incident, the Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Abayomi Jimoh, disclosed that the suspect had been arrested and is currently in custody.
According to Jimoh, “The Command received a report that the deceased was found lying in a pool of blood at her residence. Preliminary information revealed that the victim had sustained deep machete cuts and was already dead when she was discovered.
“Following the report, police operatives from the Ore Division immediately mobilized to the scene, secured the area, and commenced a preliminary investigation. A machete suspected to have been used in the attack was recovered, while the scene was photographed and documented.
“The suspected assailant, initially identified simply as Samuel, was reported to have fled the scene before the arrival of the police. However, following sustained efforts by the operatives, Samuel Akoade was subsequently arrested and taken into police custody.
“The remains of the deceased have been deposited at the mortuary, while the suspect remains in custody. The case has been transferred to the State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID), Akure, for further investigation.
“The Commissioner of Police, Ondo State Command, CP Felix N. Ohagwu, psc, mnips, mspsp, has directed that the investigation be conducted thoroughly and professionally to establish the circumstances surrounding the killing and ensure that anyone found culpable is brought to justice.
“The Command also reassures residents of its commitment to protecting lives and property and urges members of the public to continue providing timely and useful information to the police, particularly on suspicious activities within their communities.”
Metro
Lakurawa fighters kill two, lead prayers in Sokoto mosque
Lakurawa fighters reportedly killed two people and led Friday prayers at the Izalah Central Mosque in Kaya village, Tambuwal Local Government Area of Sokoto State.
Bakatsine, a journalist covering conflicts in North-West Nigeria, disclosed this in a post on X on Monday.
According to him, the fighters arrived in the community around 11am and remained there for nearly seven hours, forcing residents to stay indoors while they moved from house to house and stole cattle.
He said the fighters later went to the mosque for Jumu’ah prayers, made the call to prayer and led the prayers, while most residents remained indoors out of fear.
Bakatsine added that the fighters subsequently looted shops and Point-of-Sale outlets, carting away goods and large sums of money before leaving the community around 5pm.
He wrote: “BREAKING: Lakurawa fighters reportedly killed two people, led the Friday prayers, at the Izalah Central Mosque in Kaya village, Tambuwal LGA, Sokoto State.
“A resident said they arrived around 11am and stayed for almost seven hours, forcing residents to remain inside their homes while they moved from house to house, stealing cattle.
“When it was time for Jumu’ah prayers, they went to the mosque, made the call to prayer and led the prayers, while most residents stayed indoors out of fear.
“They later looted shops and POS outlets, taking away goods and large sums of money before leaving the community around 5pm.”
Bakatsine described the incident as disturbing, questioning how armed fighters could occupy a community for hours, restrict residents’ movement, take over a mosque and loot businesses without intervention.
Metro
Four Almajiri die after suspected food poisoning in Kano
Four Almajiri (Quranic students) have reportedly died after consuming contaminated food in Kano.
The affected students were said to be from Malam Iliyasu Mai Tsangaya, Kadage Sharifai, in Ungogo Local Government Area of Kano Metropolitan Council.
A statement by the National Chairman of the Tsangaya Media Network, Alaramma Sani Musa Nuhu, made available to newsmen in Kano, explained that the affected students were taken to Malam Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital following the suspected food poisoning for medical attention.
Alaramma Sani Musa Nuhu stated that the students, however, reportedly died at the hospital on Sunday night, August 16.
The statement did not disclose the nature of the food consumed or the substance suspected to have caused the poisoning, leaving the exact circumstances surrounding the deaths unclear.
It further stated that the remains of the deceased were subsequently buried after approval was obtained from the District Head (Dagaci) and the area police officer.
As of press time, the police authorities were yet to issue a statement on the official circumstances surrounding the incident.
Metro
Woman allegedly steals newborn after deceiving husband over pregnancy in Kebbi
The Kebbi State Police Command has arrested a 19-year-old woman, Khadija Ibrahim, over the alleged theft of a newborn baby in Zuru Local Government Area of the state.
The command disclosed this in a statement issued on Sunday by its spokesperson, SP Bashir Usman, saying the suspect allegedly took the baby shortly after the mother, Fatima Muhammad, gave birth on July 23, 2025.
According to the statement, Ibrahim, a resident of Rikoto, had offered to help Muhammad fetch hot water after she delivered her baby but allegedly fled with the newborn.
Police said preliminary investigation indicated that the suspect had allegedly been under pressure over not having a child, particularly as some of her peers had already given birth.
The command alleged that Ibrahim had deceived her husband for about nine months into believing that she was pregnant. After Muhammad gave birth, she allegedly took the baby and presented the child to her husband as their own.
Following sustained investigation, the suspect was arrested on August 14, 2026, while the baby was recovered and reunited with the biological mother.
The police said Ibrahim remains in custody and would be charged to court after the completion of investigations.
The Commissioner of Police, CP Umar M. Hadejia, commended the officers involved in the investigation for their diligence and professionalism, particularly for ensuring the safe recovery of the child.
-
Politics2 days ago
Osun Election Results 2026 LIVE: Polling unit-by-unit, LGA updates
-
Politics2 days agoOsun Decides: Accord heads for victory as Adeleke leads Oyebamiji by over 66,000 votes
-
Sports2 days agoBayern Munich’s Saibari Praised For Actions as Jamal Musiala Collapses
-
Entertainment1 day agoAdemola Adeleke Wins Second Term as Osun Governor After Closely Fought Election
-
Sports2 days agoMo Salah’s Highlights From Trabzonspor Debut Spark Big Reaction
-
Politics2 days agoOsun Decides: Adeleke leads as INEC uploads results of 24 LGs
-
Politics2 days agoOsun Decides: INEC uploads over 80 per cent of election results to IReV
-
Politics2 days agoSowore blasts Davido over political position on Osun election
