Metro
Gunmen kill police inspector, seven others in Adamawa
Gunmen suspected to be members of Boko Haram have killed eight people, including a police inspector.
The gunmen also abducted four girls after raiding Gaya-Dlang, near Fa’agaya, in Hong Local Government Area of Adamawa State.
Sources said on Tuesday that the attack occurred on the evening of Monday, August 17, when the attackers also burnt houses and carted away food items.
Communities in Hong LGA have been frequently attacked in the past couple of months. The most recent incident occurred last month when a similar attack was launched on the Zah community in the Yadul District, where a forest guard and three other residents were killed and a woman abducted.
Confirming the latest attack, the chairman of Hong LGA, Dr Aliyu Yerima Hong, said there were eight casualties, including the police officer.
He expressed regret that, apart from the eight people killed in the latest incident, several others sustained injuries.
“There is serious fear because 80 per cent of our peasant farmers who are farming in that area have abandoned their farms,” the council chairman lamented.
He assured, however, that his council would continue to assist the military and other security agencies, as well as hunters and vigilante members, in providing security across the entire local government area.
Metro
Nigerian Navy destroys three illegal refining sites, recover 85,000 litres diesel in Rivers
The Nigerian Navy said that it has continued to exert operational pressure against crude oil theft and illegal refining activities as part of its Operation Delta Sentinel.
It said that this includes the disruption of three illegal refining sites and the recovery of around 85,000 litres of products believed to be illegally refined Automotive Gas Oil, AGO, in Rivers State.
A statement issued by Captain Abiodun Folorunsho, the Director of Naval Information, indicated that the recent operation was carried out by personnel from the Nigerian Navy Ship, NNS, Pathfinder in the Egbema area of Ogba-Egbema-Ndoni Local Government Area of Rivers State.
It said the operation was initiated following credible intelligence regarding the ongoing activities of criminal elements in the region.
The Nigerian Navy said the operation resulted in the identification of three illegal refining sites, which included eight dugout pits, sacks, and reservoirs filled with approximately 85,000 litres of products suspected to be illegally refined AGO.
It said the illegal refining sites and the recovered products were subsequently managed in accordance with established anti-crude oil theft protocols.
“This latest achievement comes just two weeks after NNS PATHFINDER disrupted two illegal refining sites in the same vicinity on 3 August 2026. The ongoing disruption of illegal refining activities in this area underscores the Nigerian Navy’s persistent efforts to prevent criminal elements from re-establishing operational bases and reconstructing illicit refining infrastructure,” the statement noted.
“The sustained operational pressure is also producing favourable outcomes, evidenced by a reduction in the reactivation of illegal refining sites in the region. This illustrates the increasing effectiveness of continuous naval operations in undermining the activities of crude oil theft and illegal refining networks.
The Nigerian Navy said it remains committed to maintaining Operation Delta Sentinel to safeguard critical national assets, disrupt illegal petroleum supply chains, and support the Federal Government’s initiatives to enhance Nigeria’s oil and gas sector while protecting national economic interests.
Metro
Suspected gunmen kill 20, injure others in Plateau
Suspected gunmen have attacked Binper community in Bwai District of Mangu Local Government Area of Plateau State, killing over 20 people.
The attack reportedly occurred around midnight and continued into the early hours of Tuesday, with the assailants moving from house to house and attacking residents while they were asleep.
The incident came less than a week after three people were killed amid tensions between Fulani and Mwaghavul communities, which had accused each other of arson.
The National President of the Mwaghavul Development Association (MDA), Bulus Dabit, said the attackers stormed the community in large numbers and were armed with sophisticated weapons.
He said the assailants forced their way into homes, opened the doors of sleeping residents and attacked them.
“The attackers in their numbers and with sophisticated weapons, moved from house to house, forcing their way in and attacking residents in their sleep, resulting in the casualty of those killed and others wounded,” Dabit said.
He said the community came under attack last night and in the early hours of Tuesday, adding that the attackers moved from house to house and killed residents.
Dabit said more than 20 deaths had been confirmed as of Tuesday morning, while several others sustained various degrees of injuries.
He added that some residents were still missing and their whereabouts remained unknown.
The spokesperson for the Plateau State Police Command, SP Alfred Alabo, confirmed the attack to DAILY POST but said he could not provide details because the police were still conducting operations in the area.
He said the command was yet to conclude its assessment of the situation.
Metro
Goods worth millions of naira destroyed as fire ravages Ibadan market
Goods worth millions of naira have been destroyed in a fire that gutted a section of Gbagi Market in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital.
The incident occurred at 348 ZI/E Milo Zone, Bola Ige International Market, Gbagi, Ibadan.
The fire started around noon on Monday before it was eventually extinguished.
DAILY POST gathered that some shops within the market were affected by the inferno, with goods worth millions of naira were destroyed.
No life was lost in the incident.
Chairman of the Oyo State Fire Service, Hon. Maroof Akinwande, confirmed the incident.
He added that an investigation was ongoing to unravel the cause of the fire.
Akinwande, in a statement made available to DAILY POST on Tuesday morning, said, “on arrival, it was discovered that two out of a row of nine lock-up shops were engulfed in flames.
“The fire crew immediately commenced firefighting operations, preventing the fire from spreading to the nearby shops and properties.
“No casualty was recorded. The post-fire investigation is ongoing to determine the root cause of the fire incident.”
-
Sports1 day agoArsenal Fans Left Heartbroken By Duo’s Actions During Community Shield Celebrations
-
Sports1 day agoJeff Bezos Liverpool Deal: Amazon Billionaire’s Involvement Explained
-
Sports1 day agoData Analysts Calculate Every Club’s Chance of Winning 26/27 Premier League
-
Sports22 hours agoMan Utd Injury Update on 8 Stars Ahead of Premier League Opener vs Hull
-
Sports20 hours agoPaul Scholes Predicts Final 2026-27 Premier League Top 6
-
Politics2 days agoOsun election: ADC’s Najeem Salaam congratulates Adeleke, urges respect for people’s mandate
-
Sports1 day agoTottenham Agree Guglielmo Vicario Deal With Juventus
-
Business2 days agoIndia-Nigeria trade hits $9bn as firms deepen local production
