Connect with us

Politics

2027 Polls: Ebonyi APGA Reps candidate demands probe into murder of supporter

Published

on


The All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) candidate for Ebonyi/Ohaukwu Federal Constituency in the 2027 general election, Barrister Tochukwu Ogalagu, has called for a thorough investigation into the murder of Elder Onwe Ubochi, after his participation in a rally organised by the party in  Ohaukwu Local Government Area of Ebonyi State.

Ubochi, a resident of Osege Village, Umuogudu Oshia Ngbo, Ohaukwu LGA, was reportedly found dead after participating in a prayer session and backing of APGA candidates on Monday, August 17, 2026.

Ogalagu, in a statement made available to journalists in Abakaliki on Wednesday, described the incident as “gruesome and dastardly”, urging the police and other relevant security agencies to investigate the circumstances surrounding the death and ensure that anyone found culpable is brought to justice.

According to the APGA candidate, Ubochi was hale and hearty when he attended the gathering and participated in the traditional activities associated with the event.

He said the deceased later left the venue for his residence alone but was subsequently reported missing, prompting members of his family to search for him throughout the night.

Ogalagu alleged that Ubochi was waylaid while returning home and killed, adding that his body was later reportedly discovered in a stream some distance from the road leading to his residence.

“My dear brothers and sisters, it is with a deep sense of personal loss that I hereby condemn the gruesome murder of Elder Onwe Ubochi,” he said.

Ogalagu disclosed that the police had been informed of the incident and that the deceased’s remains had been deposited in a mortuary.

He expressed confidence that the security agencies would conduct a professional investigation capable of establishing the circumstances surrounding the death.

“No stone will be left unturned in the investigation of this dastardly murder, and the person or persons involved will surely face the law,” Ogalagu said.

He urged his supporters and other residents of the constituency to remain calm and law-abiding, warning against any action that could lead to reprisal attacks or further escalation of tension.

The APGA candidate alleged that the incident could be connected to political threats reportedly issued in the constituency ahead of the 2027 general elections, but stressed that the responsibility for determining the cause and circumstances of the death rested with the relevant security agencies.

“The killing of Elder Onwe Ubochi is clearly a fulfilment of the threats issued by expiring political actors in Ebonyi/Ohaukwu Federal Constituency,” he alleged.

Ogalagu called on security agencies to investigate not only the death but also any reported threats against residents for supporting opposition political parties or candidates.

He urged APGA supporters not to be intimidated by what he described as threats, intimidation and political conspiracy, insisting that the democratic process must be allowed to thrive without violence.

“No amount of threats, intimidation, political conspiracy or shedding of innocent blood will be enough to stop an idea whose time has come for fulfilment,” he declared.

The development comes against the backdrop of intensified political activities in Ebonyi State ahead of the 2027 general elections, with political parties and their candidates stepping up consultations, grassroots mobilisation and campaigns for support.

Meanwhile, a report circulating on social media has alleged that some political stakeholders in Ohaukwu warned residents against supporting opposition candidates ahead of the 2027 elections.

The report also alleged that the deceased was killed after endorsing the APGA candidate.

However, the claim has not been independently verified, and there is currently no established evidence conclusively linking Ubochi’s death to his political activities or the endorsement event.

Several political figures were also mentioned in the social media report in connection with an APC rally held at 135 Ezzamgbo, the Ohaukwu LGA headquarters, on Tuesday, 18th August 2026, warning residents of the council area against supporting any candidate of the opposition parties in every election.

Ogalagu condoled with the deceased’s family and urged them to remain strong, assuring them that justice must be pursued through lawful means.

He also prayed for the peaceful repose of the deceased’s soul, while calling on political actors across the constituency to uphold peace, tolerance and respect for the rule of law as preparations for the 2027 elections gather momentum.




dailypost.ng

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

Osun APC alleges post-election attacks on members

Published

on

By


The Osun State chapter of the All Progressives Congress, APC, has condemned alleged attacks on its members and supporters in Iree, Boripe Local Government Area, following the declaration of Governor Ademola Adeleke as winner of the August 15 governorship election.

The party, in a statement signed by its Director of Media and Information, Kola Olabisi, on Wednesday, alleged that suspected members of the Accord attacked APC supporters in the community.

📱 Continue reading on the Daily Post app →
Free • No sign-up • Read the full story in the app




dailypost.ng

Continue Reading

Politics

‘She’s demoralised’ – Bashir reacts as Aisha Yesufu says she won’t follow Obi to campaigns

Published

on

By


Former presidential media aide, Bashir Ahmad has suggested that a chieftain of the Nigerian Democratic Congress, NDC, Aisha Yesufu may have been demoralised following her inability to secure the party’s ticket to contest for the FCT Senate in 2027.

Bashir’s Reaction followed a comment by Aisha, who said she will not be accompanying the NDC presidential candidate, Peter Obi during the 2027 campaign tour.

She said, “Yes, I will still campaign with Peter Obi when necessary, but you might not see me travelling around with him as much as possible.”

Reacting, Bashir, an All Progressives Congress, APC chieftain said Aisha Yesufu has the right to be demoralised, stating that the NDC presidential candidate failed to “stand up for her to secure the senatorial ticket.”

In a post on his official X handle, Bashir wrote, “Aisha Yusuf has every reason to feel demoralised and she has announced that she will not be campaigning for Peter Obi state by state as she did in 2023.

“It is a well known fact that Mr Peter, her principal, could not stand up for her to secure the senatorial ticket, despite the fact that she has consistently stood by him since joining his team.

“When it mattered most, he appears to have chosen to protect his own presidential ticket rather than stand up for someone who had stood up for him. In politics, loyalty should be reciprocal.

“Something his deputy, Senator Rabiu Kwankwaso, would never do. In Kano, he went as far as ensuring that his own son secured the deputy governorship ticket. That is what standing by your people looks like.”




dailypost.ng

Continue Reading

Politics

Osun election: Adeleke won through inducement — AAC candidate, Esan alleges

Published

on

By


The African Action Congress, AAC, governorship candidate in the just concluded election in Osun State, Olajide Esan, has attributed the victory of the incumbent governor, Ademola Adeleke, to financial inducement.

Esan made this allegation on Wednesday during a live appearance in an interview on Arise Television’s ‘Morning Show’.

📱 Continue reading on the Daily Post app →
Free • No sign-up • Read the full story in the app




dailypost.ng

Continue Reading

Trending