Connect with us

Metro

Court jails two men for belonging to cult groups in Ogun

Published

on


A Special Anti-Cultism Court sitting in Isabo, Abeokuta, has sentenced two men to seven years’ imprisonment each for conspiracy and membership of unlawful societies.

The convicts, Moruf Okusanya, 40, and Babatunde Gafar, 33, were convicted on Wednesday on a four-count charge.

The court held that the prosecution proved its case beyond reasonable doubt.

Delivering judgment, Magistrate O.L. Oke sentenced both men to seven years each without an option of a fine.

DAILY POST gathered that Okusanya and Gafar were arrested during a violent cult clash at the Ikenne Town Hall.

The prosecutor, ASP Olaide Rawlings, told the court that the offences were committed on October 23, 2023.

Rawlings said the defendants conspired with others now at large to belong to an unlawful society.

According to her, Okusanya is a member of the Eiye Confraternity, while Gafar belongs to the Alora Confraternity.

She said the acts violated Sections 34, 36, 45(b) and 70 of the Prohibition of Forcible Entry and Occupation of Landed Properties, Armed Robbery, Cultism, Kidnapping and Other Anti-Violent and Related Offences Law of Ogun State, 2016.

The prosecutor told the court that the clash disrupted activities at the town hall and threatened public peace.

Magistrate Oke said the evidence presented by the prosecution was credible and sufficient to warrant conviction.



Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro

Anambra community title holder shot dead, indigenes suspect Igweship tussle as reason

Published

on

By


A traditional title holder in Nri Community, Anaocha Local Government Area of Anambra State, Oba Maduka Arubaluezeama, has been shot dead.

A source in the community told journalists that Arubaluezeama, who is popularly known by his title name, Oba Muozuluaru, was assassinated on Tuesday night at a building site where he went to supervise work on his ongoing project.

The community is currently pervaded by tension, especially as it is suspected that his killing may have to do with the current tussle in the community over who becomes the next traditional ruler.

The community’s traditional stool has been vacant for about eight years now, after the death of its traditional ruler, Eze Obidiegwu Onyeso.

Several attempts to crown a new king have not yielded fruit, as some indigenes have been engaged in a bitter battle over who the next king will be.

The source said Arubaluezeama was murdered at about 7 p.m. on Tuesday in Nise, wondering if his dispute with some other landowners around his property could be the problem or the kingship tussle, in which the deceased had remained vocal.

According to the source, “That estate where Oba Muozuluaru is building his house is also under dispute because there are other multi-millionaires who also purchased their own plots of land there to build their own houses, but most people are pointing their fingers at the controversy around the Nri traditional stool because a gang of suspected cultists had in the past attacked Chief Sunday Alike and inflicted severe machete cuts on him just as he was stepping out from Oba Muozuluaru’s house.

“Just last year too, the commander of Nri Central vigilante, Ogazi, was also assassinated in the evening, and many people are suspecting the controversy around the traditional stool as the cause of the unfortunate happenings.

“Also, members of the Nri Nze-na-Ozor traditional society were said to have been attacked a few years ago while they were holding their meeting at Agbadani village hall, and many fingers were pointed at the traditional stool controversy as the reason for the attack.”

It was gathered that the assassins confronted Arubaluezeama at his building site and ordered him to leave. As he made to enter his car, they shot at him, spilling his brains instantly.

DAILY POST learnt that the entire community has been thrown into mourning because of the popularity of the victim in the area. The source said the community is calling for an extensive investigation by the police.

Meanwhile, as at the time of filing this report, the police spokesperson in Anambra, SP Tochukwu Ikenga, denied knowledge of the incident.



Continue Reading

Metro

Ogun community boils as police allegedly shoot Oro festival celebrant dead

Published

on

By


Tension has gripped Ifonyintedo community in Ipokia Local Government Area of Ogun State after a young man identified as Owolabi Oniyiku was reportedly shot dead by police officers at a checkpoint.

DAILY POST gathered that the officers attached to the Idiroko Border Patrol Team allegedly fired a shot, hitting Oniyiku in the chest, on Wednesday.

An 18-second video of the lifeless body also went viral, with youths shouting, “Police officers in Idiroko have killed someone.”

It was learnt that a police patrol checkpoint had been set ablaze on Tuesday night. Reacting to the incident, the security operatives mounted a roadblock on Wednesday.

It was during that process that Oniyiku, who had returned home to celebrate the Oro festival with family and friends, ran into the police.

According to a source, he was on his way to the Ilashe garage when he was shot.

“After the festival, his friend decided to return to Sango-Ota on Wednesday, August 19, 2026. Oniyiku reportedly volunteered to take him on his motorcycle to Ilashe Garage.

“On their way, they met a blocked road in the Ifejido area where a police checkpoint had been affected by the earlier attack. Oniyiku reportedly saw some of his friends whose motorcycles had been seized.

“He stopped and began pleading with the officers to release one of the bikes. The situation degenerated into an argument. In the process, an officer allegedly shot Oniyiku in the chest. He died at the scene.”

DAILY POST reports that the killing led to a violent protest by youths against the security operatives.

They also reportedly burnt down a police station in the community and took the corpse to the Idiroko Area Command, demanding justice for the deceased.

Confirming the incident, the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Oluseyi Babaseyi, said the officers involved had been arrested and the Command was investigating the case.

Meanwhile, the National Youth Council of Nigeria, NYCN, Ipokia, in a statement signed by the Secretary, Babarinde Kofoworola, and Coordinator, Gbenasu Johnson, condemned the killing and called for an independent probe.

They also demanded a review of all checkpoints in the area, alleging that residents face daily harassment, repeated stops and demands for money at checkpoints.

“A security checkpoint should provide security. It should not become a source of fear,” the statement said.

They urged the IGP, Ogun CP, and Idiroko Area Command to release a clear account of what happened and identify all officers present, demanding action within seven days and a meeting with community leaders to end the tension.



Continue Reading

Metro

EFCC arraigns three suspects over alleged visa fraud in Ibadan

Published

on

By


The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has arraigned no fewer than three suspects over alleged visa fraud in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital.

The commission noted that the trio of Emmanuel Serah Motunrayo, Awotunde Olugbenga and Idowu Olugbemi Sunday were arraigned before Justice Olusola Adetujoye of the Oyo State High Court, sitting in Ibadan on Thursday.

Dele Oyewale, Head of Media and Publicity of the EFCC, made these assertions in a statement.

The statement was made available to DAILY POST in Ibadan.

Oyewale, in the statement, explained that the suspects were dragged to the court by the Ibadan Zonal Directorate of the commission.

Oyewale, in the statement, explained that counsel to the defendants, Jimoh Wasiu, informed the court that bail applications had been filed.

He then urged the court to admit the defendants to bail pending the hearing and determination of the charges against his clients.

But Justice Adetujoye thereafter adjourned the matter to August 26, 2026, for hearing of the bail application.

He ordered that the suspects be remanded at Agodi Correctional Facility.



Continue Reading

Trending