Connect with us

Metro

Police arraign five over Indian hemp possession in Ekiti

Published

on


The Ekiti Police Command on Thursday, arraigned five defendants at an Ado-Ekiti Chief Magistrates’ Court over alleged possession of Indian hemp.

The defendants – Omotoso Opeyemi, 29, Folorunso Emmanuel, 28, Lamidi Alaba, 42, Sanmi Ojo, 38, and Babatunde Abimbola, 26 – are facing a one-count charge of possession of Indian hemp.

The police prosecutor, Insp Elijah Adejare, told the court that the defendants committed the offence on Aug. 12 at about 8.00 a.m. in Ado-Ekiti.

He alleged that the defendants had in their possession weeds suspected to be Indian hemp and illicit drugs.

Adejare said that the offence contravened Section 5(b) of the Indian Hemp Act, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2004.

He urged the court to adjourn the case to enable him study the case file and present his witnesses.

The defendants, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge preferred against them.

Counsel to the defendants, Mr Adedayo Awe, urged the court to grant the defendants bail, with a promise that they would not jump bail.

In her ruling, the Chief Magistrate, Mrs Kehinde Awosika, granted the defendants bail in the sum of N20,000 each, with one surety each in like sum.

Awosika thereafter adjourned the case until October 15 for hearing.



Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro

40 feared dead as boat carrying farmers capsizes in Sokoto

Published

on

By


About 40 people are feared dead after a boat carrying farmers and labourers to their rice farms capsized in Gorau town, Goronyo Local Government Area of Sokoto State.

The incident occurred when the victims were crossing a stream to access their farms.

Most of those on board were reportedly children aged between 10 and 15 years.

An eyewitness said more than 70 people were on the boat when it capsized shortly after departure.

The village head was also among the passengers but was reportedly rescued.

“So far, we have recovered about 40 bodies, while six people, including the village head, were rescued,” a local journalist who was at the scene, Sharhabilu Yahuza Kiliya, told our reporter.

Kiliya said the victims comprised farm owners and labourers engaged to harvest rice.

According to him, the canoe capsized shortly after taking off, prompting local divers to begin rescue operations.

“Rescue operations are still ongoing, with local divers searching for those still missing and recovering bodies,” he said.

The number of casualties could rise as the search for missing passengers continue.



Continue Reading

Metro

NAPTIP arrests three over alleged sale of babies in Rivers

Published

on

By


The National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) has sealed an illegal maternity facility in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, over the alleged sale of three babies linked to a suspected child trafficking syndicate.

The agency said the operation was carried out by its operatives in collaboration with the Rivers State Ministry of Health, leading to the arrest of the facility’s owner, an alleged facilitator in the transaction and another staff member.

In a statement issued on Thursday, NAPTIP said the facility, located in the Elelenwo area of Port Harcourt, was operating from a residential apartment and was allegedly being used to procure, sell and illegally transfer children.

“Our preliminary investigation showed that a Liberian woman resident in Belgium came into Nigeria without any evidence of pregnancy and allegedly took custody of three children within about one month.

“Investigators also uncovered evidence suggesting that about N13.5 million was paid in connection with the transfer of the three children,” the agency said.

NAPTIP said its officers from Abuja and Rivers State carried out a coordinated raid on the facility and sealed the premises to preserve evidence while investigations continue.

“We have commenced forensic and documentary investigations to establish the identities, whereabouts and welfare of the children, as well as determine their biological and legal parentage,” the agency said.

It added that investigators were also tracing those involved in the procurement and transfer of the children, following the money trail and examining the possible role of medical personnel and other individuals connected to the alleged trafficking network.

Reacting to the development, NAPTIP Director-General, Binta Adamu Bello, expressed concern that foreign nationals were allegedly coming to Nigeria to obtain children through illegal means.

She said the agency had expanded its investigation to identify and arrest everyone linked to the case.

“Anyone found culpable will face due process under the law, and the safety and welfare of the affected children will remain our top priority,” Bello said.



Continue Reading

Metro

Chinese arrested in Lagos over alleged sexual assault, unwanted advances on Nigerian employee

Published

on

By


The Lagos State Police Command has detained a Chinese national, Bai Quang, following allegations of sexual assault and repeated unwanted advances towards his Nigerian employee, identified as Charles Nwafor.

Quang was reportedly taken into custody after Nwafor petitioned the police, alleging that his employer repeatedly made sexual advances towards him despite his objections and subsequently assaulted him after he rejected the advances.

According to a police source, one of the alleged incidents occurred when Quang allegedly pulled down Nwafor’s trousers and touched his private parts, among other alleged acts.

The source further alleged that the suspect later invited Nwafor to a hotel under the guise of discussing a business transaction, where he allegedly attempted to force him into unwanted sexual activity.

“The advances were allegedly made against Nwafor’s consent and were repeatedly rejected by the complainant.

“The suspect allegedly sexually assaulted Nwafor by pulling down his trousers and touching his private parts, among other alleged amorous acts,” the source said.

The alleged incident at the hotel was reportedly unsuccessful, prompting Nwafor to approach the police and formally report the matter.

The source also alleged that Quang subsequently threatened Nwafor and terminated his employment after the complainant refused to comply with his alleged demands.

Following the petition, the Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Fatai Tijani, reportedly directed that the case be transferred from the Hausa Police Station to the State Criminal Investigation Department, SCID, Yaba, for further investigation.

The investigation is being handled by the Diplomatic/Foreign Nationals Section of the SCID under the supervision of the Deputy Commissioner of Police in charge of the department, Dayo Akinbisehin.

The source said the Chinese Embassy was also being notified of Quang’s arrest and detention in accordance with established procedures for cases involving foreign nationals.

He said investigators were working to establish the facts surrounding the allegations and determine the appropriate legal action based on the outcome of the investigation.

“The suspect is in safe custody while investigation is ongoing,” the source said.

The case comes against the backdrop of the recent restructuring of the Lagos State SCID into specialised units and sections aimed at improving the command’s capacity to investigate emerging and specialised crimes.

As part of the restructuring, the Diplomatic/Foreign Nationals Crimes Section was created to handle criminal matters involving non-Nigerians in Lagos and facilitate greater coordination between the police and foreign diplomatic missions.

The police said the investigation into the allegations against Quang was continuing.



Continue Reading

Trending