Connect with us

Metro

Police relaunch Operation Velvet to enforce road safety, traffic regulations in Benue

Published

on


The Benue State Police Command has relaunched Operation Velvet to enforce traffic regulations and disrupt the logistics networks of criminal syndicates using unregistered vehicles, in line with the directive of the Inspector-General of Police, IGP Tunji Disu.

This was contained in a statement issued on Thursday by the spokesman of the Benue State Police Command, DSP Orchia Aondogwu.

He said the operation aims to improve road safety, reduce traffic incidents and congestion, and promote responsible road use across the state.

Aondogwu said the exercise would enforce compliance with traffic laws among motorists, tricycle operators, motorcyclists and other road users.

According to him, key areas include compliance with traffic signs, one-way restrictions and speed limits, prevention of overloading, and possession of valid vehicle documents, including roadworthiness certificates.

Aondogwu said the command would also check for valid driver’s licences, proper vehicle registration, covered or obscured number plates, and ensure that plate number details correspond with vehicle documents.

He said the use of unauthorised tinted glass and other violations would also be addressed in accordance with the law.

Aondogwu said the Commissioner of Police, CP Cletus C. Nwadiogbu, had directed officers to carry out their duties professionally, respect human rights and engage appropriately with members of the public.

He also emphasised that enforcement must be accompanied by effective traffic management.

He further warned that extortion, harassment and intimidation of road users would not be tolerated, adding that officers had been directed to enforce the law firmly but professionally at all times.

Aondogwu said the command recognised that the goal of Operation Velvet was to promote compliance with road-use regulations and ensure safer roads, adding that offenders involved in serious traffic or criminal violations would be prosecuted.

He urged motorists and other road users to comply with traffic rules and ensure that all relevant documents were valid and up to date.

Aondogwu said the command reiterated that Operation Velvet was a safety and enforcement initiative, not a platform for harassment or extortion, and remained committed to ensuring safer roads across Benue State.



Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro

Living Christ Mission General Overseer ‘Daddy Hezekiah’ accused of sexual abuse

Published

on

By


The founder and General Overseer of the Living Christ Mission, Obiajunwa Onukogu, popularly known as Daddy Hezekiah, has been accused of sexually abusing two women when they were minors attending church programmes more than two decades ago.

In separate written testimonies, Kelechi Ibe, 39, and Onyekachi J. Eze, 40, recently made the allegations.

The alleged victims said they are finally speaking publicly about their ordeal after years of silence.

The women alleged that the incidents occurred in the 1990s when they belonged to the “Princess of Daddy Hezekiah,” a church group for young girls participating in programmes in Port Harcourt, Onitsha and the church headquarters in Nkwerre, Imo State.

According to their testimonies, parents often left after the opening days of conventions, leaving their children in the care of church officials until the events ended.

The women alleged that they were repeatedly summoned to the cleric’s private quarters under the pretext of confirming that they had remained virgins, where they were subjected to inappropriate sexual touching while they were minors.

They further alleged that they were warned not to disclose the incidents to anyone, including their parents or fellow group members, leaving them too frightened to speak out for years.

Narrating her experience, Ibe said the alleged abuse began when she was about 12 or 13 years old and occurred repeatedly during church conventions. She said she eventually disclosed her experience after she and her sister, also a former member of the group, compared their experiences after leaving the church.

On her part, Eze alleged that the abuse began during a church visit to Onitsha and continued after she joined the same group in Port Harcourt.

The women said they later discovered similarities in their experiences and believed other former members of the group may have had similar encounters.

They identified some of those they said had come forward as Nkechi Nwofor, Angela Michael, Sopuruchukwu, Nkiru Arum, Vivian Nmezi and Ihegboro Chibuzo.

The women said the experiences had long-lasting emotional effects and that they hoped their testimonies would encourage other survivors to come forward.

Meanwhile, Onukogu and Living Christ Mission had yet to officially respond to the accusations at the time of this report.



Continue Reading

Metro

Lagos: EFCC arraigns two over alleged sale of bank credentials for $15,000

Published

on

By


The Lagos Zonal Directorate 1 of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has arraigned two men before the Federal High Court in Ikoyi, Lagos, over allegations bordering on the unlawful disclosure and supply of bank access credentials.

The defendants, Gideon Bakpa Aghogho and Oscar Ebere Chukwuebuka, were brought before Justice F.N. Ogazi on Wednesday, August 19, 2026. They were arraigned alongside a third suspect, identified as Scott, who is currently at large.

The trio are facing an eight-count charge relating to the alleged unauthorised supply of credentials capable of granting access to a bank database.

The charges were filed under Sections 27 and 28(1)(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, Etc.) Act, 2015, as amended in 2024.

One of the counts alleged that Aghogho and Chukwuebuka, in collaboration with Scott, unlawfully supplied Aghogho access code for use on FCMB’s system between July 24 and 26, 2026, in Lagos.

The prosecution alleged that the access code, identified as a local Administrative Credential, ITSD, could provide entry into the FCMB Virtual Center Platform and was supplied with the intention of facilitating the commission of an offence.

Another count accused Aghogho of knowingly disclosing bank access credentials, including server IP and domain details, without authorisation between April and May 2025.

According to the charge, the credentials were allegedly disclosed to facilitate access to FCMB’s database in exchange for $15,000.

When the charges were read in court, Aghogho pleaded not guilty, while Chukwuebuka entered a guilty plea.

Following Aghogho’s plea, prosecution counsel, Bilkisu Buhari, requested a date for the commencement of trial and urged the court to order his remand in a correctional facility.

In Chukwuebuka’s case, the prosecution asked the court to allow it to review the facts of the case following his guilty plea.

Justice Ogazi subsequently adjourned the matter until August 27, 2026, for a review of the facts and further proceedings.

The court also ordered that the defendants be remanded in a correctional centre pending the next hearing.



Continue Reading

Metro

Plateau killings: Attackers went from house to house killing our people – Survivors

Published

on

By


Survivors of the deadly attack on Bin-Per community in Kombun District of Mangu Local Government Area of Plateau State, where more than 25 people were killed on Tuesday, have narrated how the attackers went from house to house, killing their victims, who were mostly women, children and the elderly.

In a video shared on social media platforms on Thursday, some of the victims explained that the heavily armed militants, numbering more than 100, seemed to know their way around the community.

The victims said the attackers went from house to house, bringing out people whom they slaughtered in cold blood while also setting the houses ablaze.

Here is what some of the victims said in the video:

Shadrach Danladi:

“We had just retired for the night when the attackers invaded our village. There were more than 100 of them, and all of them were carrying sophisticated weapons like AK-47s. It was as if there was a war. I just managed to escape before they started the killings.

“They went from house to house, brought out people who could not escape and killed them in cold blood. After killing the people, they would set the house on fire before moving to the next house. This is one incident that will live with me for the rest of my life.”

Grace Mureng:

“What happened in Bin-Per community of Kombun on Tuesday night is something I will not forget for the rest of my life. I am married to a man from the community, and I have lived there for over 20 years, but I have never seen such violence in all my life.

“The attackers, who spoke the Fulani language, seemed to know exactly where they were going because we heard that they mentioned some names and households they wanted to attack.

“They would enter a house, call the names of the people they wanted, and if the people were not around, they would go in, bring out whoever was inside and kill them. Most of their victims were women, children and elderly people who could not escape in time. Personally, I lost six members of my husband’s family.”

Talatu Solomon:

“I lost my husband, his two brothers and three of their cousins in the attack. They were all inside sleeping when the killers set the house on fire. I was lucky that night because my younger sister was not well, and I had gone to her place in Panyam to tend to her. It’s only God who will console the people.”



Continue Reading

Trending