Politics
Cross River Information Commissioner explains Eba’s removal as APC chairman
The newly appointed Commissioner for Information and Orientation in Cross River State, Pastor Ekpenyong Cobham, has given reasons for the removal of former chairman of the All Progressives Congress, APC, in the state, Mr Alphonsus Ogar Eba.
Cobham spoke during his maiden interaction with journalists in Calabar, where he said Eba’s removal followed allegations of financial impropriety, maladministration and failure to meet some obligations to members of the party’s State Working Committee.
Eba, who served as APC chairman during the administration of former Governor Ben Ayade and the first two years of the administration of Governor Bassey Otu, has since joined the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), where he is the running mate to the party’s governorship candidate.
The former APC chairman had recently criticised the Otu administration, alleging, among other things, that government contracts were being awarded to associates and family members and that funds were being paid to groups to prevent violence and other vices.
Responding to the allegations, Cobham questioned Eba’s credibility to make such accusations, citing allegations previously levelled against him during his time as Director-General of the state’s Due Process Office.
According to the commissioner, Eba allegedly failed to adhere to the principles guiding the office and was involved in transactions concerning public assets that he said raised questions about due process.
Cobham challenged critics of the administration to engage the government on its policies and performance, saying they should “call for a debate, try and raise the bar, educate themselves to the strata we are operating under.”
He also said Eba, as a lawyer, had the option of seeking legal redress if he believed his removal from office was unjustified.
“If he thinks he was pushed out of office wrongly, he is a lawyer. He should have gone to court,” Cobham said.
On Eba’s movement from the APC to the PDP and his emergence as a deputy governorship candidate, Cobham said the former APC chairman appeared to be celebrating his political fortunes prematurely, insisting that the outcome of the election would ultimately determine the strength of the claim.
dailypost.ng
Politics
2027: Kwankwaso submits NDC candidates’ name in 19 Northern states, FCT
The Vice-Presidential candidate of the Nigeria Democratic Congress, NDC, Rabi’u Kwankwaso, has submitted the names of the NDC candidates in the 19 Northern states, including the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, ahead of the 2027 general elections.
Kwankwaso made this known in a statement posted on his verified X handle on Thursday.
He thanked the leadership of the party and all the candidates for their cooperation and unwavering commitment.
The former Kano State governor described the move as another decisive step towards building a formidable NDC team capable of competing strongly at every level.
According to him, the task ahead is promising, and he expressed their readiness to go ahead.
“In a spirit of complete collaboration, support and solidarity, I led the coordination and formal submission of National Democratic Congress, NDC, candidates across the 19 Northern states and the Federal Capital Territory.
“Working closely with the National Working Committee, NWC, and candidates at all levels, the exercise was successfully concluded today, Thursday, 20th August 2026, with the formal presentation of all candidates’ names to the NDC National Leader, His Excellency Sen. Seriake Dickson,” he tweeted.
dailypost.ng
Politics
2027: We’ll retaliate, won’t allow anyone to ridicule Tinubu – Jibrin warns NDC
A member of the House of Representatives, Abdulmumini Jibrin, has said supporters of the All Progressives Congress, APC, in Kano will retaliate against any attack or provocation directed at President Bola Tinubu, the state governor or the party.
Jibrin made the remark while fielding questions on Channels Television’s Politics Today programme on Thursday.
His comment followed the burning of Tinubu’s signature cap and the APC broom by supporters of the Nigeria Democratic Congress, NDC, in Kano.
In retaliation, APC supporters in the state reportedly burned Kwankwansiya signature caps associated with NDC leader and former Kano State Governor, Rabiu Kwankwaso.
Jibrin said the APC supporters would not allow anyone to ridicule Tinubu, the governor or the party.
He said, “When somebody comes with a knife and he’s trying to cut off my neck, what do you want me to do? To hold it and push it back.
“We don’t create trouble in Kano. We don’t look for trouble. All we do is that we just campaign. We’re minding our business. We don’t throw abuses at them. We know them very well.
“We will retaliate because we will not allow anybody to ridicule our president or our governor or our party. We will never allow that. Never, we will not.
“So, what do you think we should do? We should allow them to continue to burn our caps?
“In politics, that is self-defence. Show me one place where we looked for trouble.”
dailypost.ng
Politics
Tinubu receives Adeleke at Aso Rock
President Bola Tinubu on Thursday held a closed-door meeting with Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
DAILY POST reports that Adeleke, who was re-elected on Saturday, August 15, arrived at the State House and proceeded straight to the president’s office for the meeting.
This came shortly after the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, issued certificate of return to Adeleke.
Adeleke, who contested on the platform of the Accord, secured 511,067 votes to defeat Bola Oyebamiji, the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate, who polled 444,815 votes.
dailypost.ng
-
Sports2 days agoCharlton Athletic Release Statement as Body Found at Stadium
-
Sports2 days agoTottenham Plotting Move for Illia Zabarnyi
-
Sports2 days agoNewcastle Make Lucas Bergvall Prime Target as Little-Known Transfer Rule Emerges
-
Sports1 day agoEx-Fantasy Premier League Champion Reveals Starting Squad For Gameweek 1
-
Sports2 days agoJamal Musiala Provides Health Update After Collapsing
-
Politics2 days ago2027: INEC lists challenges ahead of polls
-
Sports1 day agoF1 Driver Won’t Be Competing at the Dutch Grand Prix
-
Business2 days agoDangote Refinery IPO gets $1bn underwriting backing from Marob, Lilium
