Connect with us

Metro

Eight okada riders arrested over alleged attack on security operatives in Lagos

Published

on


Eight commercial motorcycle operators, popularly known as Okada riders, have been arrested by operatives of the Lagos State Environmental and Special Offences Enforcement Unit, also known as the Task Force, following an alleged attack on security personnel during an operation in the Apongbon-Marina area.

The suspects were reportedly part of a group of motorcycle operators who resisted the seizure of their motorcycles and allegedly confronted enforcement personnel with dangerous weapons, including broken bottles, machetes and cutlasses.

The incident occurred in Apongbon and adjoining areas while Task Force operatives were enforcing restrictions on motorcycle operations along designated routes.

The agency said some other individuals suspected of involvement in criminal activities were also apprehended during the operation.

The arrested suspects were identified as Buba Umar, 40; Musa Usman, 30; Gambo Dauda, 32; Shagari Bulba, 42; Auwalu Mohammed, 30; Idris Hassan, 25; Wale Yusuf, 43, also known as Babalawo; Ohnosi Osaseti; and Sagiru Asiru.

The Task Force said the suspects were apprehended during a confrontation that reportedly broke out when they attempted to recover motorcycles seized by enforcement officers.

One of the suspects allegedly told investigators that motorcycle operators had been mobilised to resist government efforts to enforce restrictions on Okada operations along prohibited highways.

The agency further said some of those arrested acknowledged that their motorcycles had previously been impounded during enforcement exercises but continued to operate on restricted routes because of the financial returns from the business.

During questioning, Yusuf allegedly disclosed that the group intended to mount stronger resistance against future enforcement operations targeting commercial motorcycles.

The Chairman of the Task Force, CSP Adetayo Akerele said the suspects had been placed under surveillance following repeated complaints concerning alleged attacks on uniformed personnel after enforcement operations in the area.

Akerele said residents, including elderly members of the community, had raised concerns about the activities of some Okada operators and their alleged confrontations with security personnel.

“I received complaints from residents and senior citizens alleging that Okada operators forming an esprit de corps, if allowed unchecked, could pose a serious threat to residents, pedestrians and schoolchildren. I immediately put strategies in place to track them down,” he said.

The Task Force chairman assured that those arrested would face prosecution in accordance with the law, stressing that the action would serve as a deterrent to individuals who resort to violence to frustrate legitimate government enforcement.

Akerele also warned that enforcement against motorcycles operating on restricted routes would continue across Lagos.

He added that efforts were underway to identify and apprehend other suspects who allegedly escaped from the scene during the confrontation.

“I urge members of the public to continue reporting suspicious activities through our official feedback channels for prompt action.

“We will not retreat or surrender in our drive to make the state’s roads free of recalcitrant Okada operators, who are generally seen as a threat to our collective security,” he said.



Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro

Kidnapped Kebbi High Court judge recounts ordeal in bandits’ captivity

Published

on

By


Justice Faruk Hassan Bunza of the Kebbi State High Court has recounted his experience in captivity, detailing how he was abducted from his residence, taken to a bandits’ camp and eventually escaped after days in captivity.

The account was disclosed on Tuesday by a conflict reporter covering the North-West region, Bakastine, in a post on his X handle.

According to the report, five armed men abducted the judge from his residence in Bunza Local Government Area and forced him to trek about 25 kilometres barefoot to the Dutsen Bandan camp.

Bunza said he met two other kidnapped Fulani men at the camp.

The following day, the bandits showed him photographs of himself and the Chairman of Bungudu Local Government Area of Zamfara State, Nura Umar Abdullahi.

He said the abductors told him they had been instructed to kidnap both men but did not disclose who had given the order.

The judge also recounted how the bandits showed him newspaper reports about his abduction and told him they were aware of reports that N200 million had been earmarked for his release.

He said no fewer than 20 bandits were operating from the camp and that they relied on informants who supplied information from surrounding communities, while also maintaining contact with their families.

Bunza said the bandits remained constantly alert despite being heavily armed, noting that they once warned him against coughing because they feared he might draw attention to their location.

DAILY POST gathered that the judge’s family eventually paid N50 million to secure his release, after which most of the bandits left the camp, leaving two men behind to guard him.

Bunza said he later overheard the two remaining abductors arguing, with one suggesting that he should be killed, before he realised at about 5 pm that he had been left alone.

He said he removed the covering over his face and escaped on foot, eventually reaching a village where he boarded a commercial motorcycle.

Bunza was abducted from his residence on July 26 and regained his freedom on August 3 after about eight days in captivity.

His release was subsequently confirmed by the Kebbi State Police Command, his family and the state Ministry of Justice.

Reflecting on the experience, Bunza said the ordeal would not deter him from carrying out his duties.

“My kidnapping can never deter me from my work. I swear to Almighty Allah, nothing on this earth can change my attitude to work. It will motivate me to double my effort,” he said.



Continue Reading

Metro

Troops rescue 14 kidnapped victims in Katsina

Published

on

By


Troops of Operation Fansan Yamma have rescued 14 people after confronting terrorists who were moving with kidnapped victims in Sabuwa Local Government Area of Katsina State.

The operation took place on Tuesday, August 18, 2026, around Madaci Forest after the troops received information about the terrorists’ movement.

The Media Information Officer for Operation Fansan Yamma, Lieutenant Colonel Aliyu Danja, said the troops quickly moved to the area and engaged the terrorists.

“The troops swiftly mobilised to the area and made contact with the terrorists, engaging them and compelling them to abandon their captives and flee into the surrounding bushes,” Danja said.

He said the troops later searched the area and rescued 14 victims, comprising six males and eight females.

According to him, initial findings showed that the victims had been kidnapped from different locations around Dandume, Bakori and Funtua in Katsina State.

The rescued victims were handed over to the relevant local authorities for further assistance and reunification with their families.

Danja said the rescue demonstrated the determination of the troops to protect residents and prevent terrorists from carrying out criminal activities in the area.

“The Theatre Command reassures the public that troops will continue to sustain pressure on terrorist elements and intensify operations to safeguard communities across the North-West,” he said.

He also urged residents to continue providing security agencies with useful and timely information that could assist ongoing military operations



Continue Reading

Metro

Police recover vandalised railway sleepers, arrest suspect in Bauchi

Published

on

By


The Bauchi State Police Command has recovered a consignment of vandalised railway sleepers in Doya Quarters, Bauchi, and arrested a suspected member of a syndicate allegedly involved in the theft of public infrastructure.

According to a press release signed by the Police Public Relations Officer, SP Nafiu Habib, the command received credible intelligence at about 12:30 am on August 17, 2026, concerning the vandalism of railway properties within the Bauchi metropolis.

The statement said operatives attached to the A Division Township swiftly acted on the information and traced the stolen railway materials to a residential building in Doya Quarters.

The command explained that the discovery was unexpected, as the operatives had anticipated that the stolen items might have been concealed in a warehouse or government facility.

According to the release, the entire consignment of vandalised railway sleepers was recovered and evacuated to the police station, while the operation was concluded at about 3:30 am on August 18, with the arrest of a male suspect identified as Abubakar Sanusi.

The command said the investigation was ongoing to identify and arrest other members of the syndicate allegedly involved in the crime.

The command urged residents to remain vigilant and report suspicious activities to the nearest police station, stressing that the protection of national assets required the collective effort of security agencies and members of the public.



Continue Reading

Trending