Connect with us

Politics

Osun election: APC, Accord at war over alleged attacks on members

Published

on


Osun State chapter of the All Progressives Congress, APC, and the ruling Accord Party have exchanged accusations over alleged attacks on their members following Saturday’s governorship election.

The APC alleged that supporters of the Accord Party launched attacks on its members and supporters after Governor Ademola Adeleke was declared the winner of the election by the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC.

Accord, however, rejected the allegation and accused the opposition party of being responsible for attacks on its own members.

In a statement issued on Tuesday, Osun APC Director of Media and Information, Kola Olabisi, condemned what he described as a growing wave of post-election violence allegedly perpetrated by Accord supporters across the state.

Olabisi claimed that incidents of attacks on APC members began shortly after Adeleke was declared the winner of the governorship poll on Sunday.

He also alleged that local government chairmen aligned with the ruling party had moved into various council secretariats despite what he described as their “illegal sit-at-home” status.

The APC spokesperson further alleged that some members of the state executive of the National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW) had used suspected thugs to gain access to motor parks across the state.

The party warned that the alleged attacks could undermine public peace and potentially trigger retaliatory violence if not brought under control.

The APC called on the Osun State Police Command to strengthen security measures and protect its members and supporters from further attacks.

However, Osun State Accord chairman, Victor Akande, dismissed the allegations, insisting that the party was committed to peaceful political engagement.

“Accord is not known for hooliganism,” Akande told journalists when contacted by telephone.

He instead alleged that APC supporters had been behind attacks on Accord members, claiming that the police had also been used to target members of the ruling party before, during and after the election.

According to him, several Accord supporters were allegedly attacked and unlawfully detained.

Akande described the APC’s allegations as propaganda and urged the public to disregard them.

“They are known for their propaganda. They are the ones attacking our members. I didn’t know any of our members attacking their members,” he alleged.

He maintained that Accord was a peace-loving party and attributed Governor Adeleke’s electoral victory to what he described as the overwhelming support of Osun residents.




dailypost.ng

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

APC governors are ‘tenants’ in govt houses – Baraje

Published

on

By


A former National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Alhaji Kawu Baraje, has described governors elected on the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC) as “tenants” in government houses, saying the ruling party has lost the confidence of Nigerians ahead of the 2027 general elections.

He stated this while speaking to journalists at the Dutse International Airport on his way to Azare, Bauchi State. 

Baraje noted that the PDP had overcome its internal crises and was now better positioned to regain power in states currently controlled by the APC. According to him, the APC’s previous electoral gains were largely facilitated by internal divisions within the opposition party.

“You see, the APC people who are occupying the government houses today are tenants,” he said.

He maintained that the PDP accepted the outcomes of the 2015 and 2023 elections in the interest of peace, despite having reservations over the results.

“But as you can see what is going on now, people are rejecting them totally and clamouring for the return of the PDP. So, it is some kind of revolution,” Baraje added.

The former PDP chairman expressed confidence that the party’s renewed unity and reconciliation would strengthen its prospects ahead of the 2027 polls, adding that Nigerians are increasingly demanding the return of the opposition. He predicted that the PDP would reclaim Bauchi, Jigawa, and other states currently governed by the APC in the next general elections.

Baraje’s comments come amid increasing political activities and realignments by major political parties ahead of the 2027 elections, with opposition parties seeking to regain ground in states controlled by the APC.




dailypost.ng

Continue Reading

Politics

2027: Kebbi ADC appoints former Deputy Speaker, Sani Tadurga as campaign DG

Published

on

By


The African Democratic Congress, ADC, in Kebbi State has appointed a former Deputy Speaker of the House of Assembly, Rt. Hon. Sani Tadurga, as Director-General of its Campaign Council ahead of the 2027 elections.

The appointment was approved by the party’s governorship candidate, Abubakar Malami, SAN, following consultations with stakeholders across the state.

Also appointed are three Deputy Directors-General representing the state’s three senatorial districts: Arch. Bala Sani Kangiwa for Kebbi North, Hon. Shehu Aliyu Sambawa for Kebbi Central and Alh. Aliyu Jibrin Bagaruwa for Kebbi South.

Barr Aminu Bunza was named Secretary of the Kebbi State Campaign Council.

According to the party, the appointments are aimed at strengthening its campaign structure and enhancing coordination ahead of the 2027 elections.

With the new structure, the party said its appointees are expected to deploy their leadership experience and grassroots networks to mobilise support and advance the ADC’s political objectives across the state.

It urged the new appointees to approach their responsibilities with commitment, unity and dedication as preparations for the 2027 polls intensify.




dailypost.ng

Continue Reading

Politics

‘God will shock you’ – Isaac Fayose fumes over Wike’s controversial remarks on Osun election

Published

on

By


Nigerian businessman and social commentator, Prince Isaac Fayose, has expressed sadness over the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike’s comment on the outcome of the recently concluded Osun State governorship election.

Wike, while speaking with journalists on Tuesday, claimed that the Federal Government did not deploy its influence against Governor Ademola Adeleke of the Accord Party during the election.

Wike claimed that President Bola Tinubu allowed the people of Osun State to freely elect their leader.

He added that if Tinubu had wanted the All Progressives Congress, APC, to win the election, he would have personally gone to the state during the exercise.

Wike’s remarks have continued to generate reactions, with some Nigerians accusing the minister of suggesting that elections could be influenced through federal might.

Reacting in a video shared on his official Facebook page on Tuesday, Fayose questioned Wike’s comments, arguing that the people of Osun State had already made up their minds before the election.

According to him, Osun State should not be compared with Rivers State where Wike previously served as governor.

Fayose said: “When I listen to Wike, my stomach rumbles. Look at the confidence with which he said if the President had wanted Osun, he would have been there.

“May God continue to save Nigeria from these kinds of people. God will shock him.

“Osun people are not Rivers. Osun people made up their minds, and one thousand of you cannot change it. You are dreaming.

“Thank God Atiku did not choose you as his vice president; this country would have been destroyed more than it is now.

“So, you wanted to change the will of Osun people as you usually do in Rivers? I feel sorry for Nigerians. How come people are still campaigning for this man?”




dailypost.ng

Continue Reading

Trending