Connect with us

Metro

Police remand home lesson teacher, father for alleged defilement of pupil, daughter in Edo

Published

on


A 52-year-old home lesson teacher identified as Daniel Erumudonmoh Okhuilegbe has been remanded at Oko Correctional Centre, Benin City, for alleged defilement of his  13-year old pupil.

The suspect was alleged to have committed the offence on August 5, 2026.

The Edo State Commissioner of Police, Patrick Daaor, made this known to newsmen while parading some arrested criminals in Benin.

Daaor said the complainant alleged that the suspect was engaged as a home lesson teacher but allegedly abused the trust placed in him and sexually assaulted the child.

He said following the conclusion of the investigation, the suspect was charged before the Benin High Court on 14 August 2026 and subsequently remanded at Oko Correctional Centre, Benin.

The Commissioner also disclosed that a 42-year-old father who allegedly raped his 15-year-old girl has been remanded at the Benin Correctional Centre.

He said the suspect committed the crime on August 6, 2026, at Iyahmo in Etsako West Local Government Area of the state.

He explained that following discreet investigation upon transfer to the state headquarters, the suspect was charged to court on 14 August 2026 and remanded at the Benin Correctional Centre, pending further proceedings.

The Commissioner also disclosed the arrest of a 26-year-old man for alleged defilement of a 14-year-old girl.

He said the suspect named Otaru Jonathan committed the offence on August 12, 2026, in Afokpella community in Etsako East Local Government Area of Edo State.

He posited that preliminary investigation revealed that the 26-year-old man, Otaru Jonathan, took the child on a motorcycle to an uncompleted building at Afokpella, where he allegedly had unlawful sexual intercourse with her and subsequently gave her N2,000.

“The survivor was taken to the Hospital for medical evaluation and attention. The suspect was arrested and remains in custody.

“Preliminary investigation is ongoing, after which the suspect will be arraigned in court”, he stated.



Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro

Borno: Four ISWAP fighters surrender, expose terrorist enclave

Published

on

By


Four members of the Islamic State West Africa Province, ISWAP, have surrendered to Nigerian troops in Borno State, providing information on the activities and structure of a terrorist enclave in Marte Local Government Area.

The development was contained in information obtained by security analyst and counter-insurgency expert, Zagazola Makama.

The four individuals, comprising two adults and two minors, reportedly told investigators that they had been abducted and forced into the terrorist group at different locations in Borno State.

They were identified as Isha Bukar, 19, from Gamboru Ngala; Abubakar Alkali, 25, from Monguno; Tijani Mele, 15, from Dikwa; and Abubakar Mohammed Mairiga, 24, from Damboa.

Bukar said he was abducted about a year ago by his elder brother, who was an ISWAP member, and taken to the Arinna Chiki terrorist camp in Marte.

Alkali said ISWAP fighters abducted him while he was working on his farm at Buluwa village in Marte, while Mele said he was abducted by his brother while fetching firewood around the Gudunbali General Area in Guzamala.

Mairiga, a fisherman from Damboa, reportedly said he was abducted by ISWAP fighters while fishing at Dowoshi in Kukawa Local Government Area.

The four later escaped from the camp and surrendered to Nigerian troops, with military sources attributing their decision partly to sustained airstrikes and psychological operations that had disrupted activities within the enclave.

According to the sources, the military pressure had worsened conditions inside the camp, leaving some members increasingly disillusioned with the group.

“Survival in such condition was nearly impossible,” one of the former members reportedly said.

According to the information provided by the former ISWAP members, Arinna Chiki in Marte is a major terrorist enclave, with the camp’s leadership, internal structure and operations also disclosed to investigators.

The camp is reportedly headed by individuals identified as Abu Salim and Abu Riana, alongside other commanders, and comprises several settlements, including Gari Ba’amfani, Mujiza, Guzuma, Sabon Tumbu, Yates Kura and Latimer.

Investigators were also told that weapons are issued to fighters before operations and returned to the leadership afterwards. The group reportedly conducts attacks in parts of Borno, including Monguno, Marte, Ngoshe and Gamboru Ngala, as well as across the border in Cameroon.

ISWAP also reportedly relies on attacks against civilians, commuters and farming activities to obtain supplies and sustain its operations.

Following their surrender, the four individuals were taken to Headquarters Sector 3 for processing and further interrogation.

The development comes amid sustained military operations involving ground offensives, airstrikes and psychological operations aimed at degrading terrorist networks in the North-East and encouraging fighters and their associates to abandon the insurgency.



Continue Reading

Metro

Police kill suspected kidnapper, armed robber, recover arms in Anambra 

Published

on

By


Operatives of the Anambra State Police Command have killed two suspected criminals terrorizing parts of the state, recovering arms from them.

A statement by the spokesperson of the command, SP Tochukwu Ikenga, stated that the incident happened in Eziowelle community, Idemili North Local Government Area.

The statement said, “In the early morning of today, 19th August 2026, operatives of the command attached to the Rapid Response Squad, Awkuzu received credible information that a group of suspected armed robbers/kidnappers had been sighted along Eziowelle Road.

“The Police operatives swiftly mobilized to the area and on sighting the Police team, the hoodlums opened fire on them, leading to a gun duel.

“During the ensuing encounter, two of the suspects sustained fatal gunshot injuries, while other members of the gang fled the scene with varying degrees of gunshot wounds.

“The operatives recovered one AK-47 rifle with a magazine containing four live rounds of ammunition, one pump-action gun and five live cartridges from the scene.”

The command described the incident as a breakthrough in its ongoing intelligence-led operations against kidnapping, armed robbery and other violent crimes across the state.

The statement added that the command, under the leadership of CP Nnanna Oji Ama, remains resolute in its determination to sustain intelligence-led and proactive operations aimed at dismantling criminal networks and ensuring the safety and security of residents.

The command said it has commenced further investigations into the matter and intensified efforts to track down the fleeing members of the gang.



Continue Reading

Metro

Insecurity: 11,000 arms recovered by police submitted for destruction

Published

on

By


The Nigeria Police Force has remitted over 11,000 recovered arms to the National Centre for the Control of Small Arms and Light Weapons, NCCSALW, for destruction.

The Centre’s Director-General, DIG Johnson Babatunde Kokumo (rtd), disclosed this on Wednesday.

Kokumo made the disclosure  when he paid a courtesy visit to the Niger State Commissioner of Police, CP Adamu Abdullahi Elleman, at the Command Headquarters in Minna.

The NCCSALW boss said the transfer and destruction of recovered weapons was aimed at preventing their possible recirculation into the hands of criminal elements, particularly as illicit small arms and light weapons continue to fuel banditry and other violent crimes.

He commended the Inspector-General of Police, IGP, Olatunji Rilwan Disu, for directing state police commands to transfer recovered arms and ammunition to the Centre after investigations and other necessary procedures.

Kokumo called for stronger collaboration and information sharing between the Niger Police Command and the Centre, stressing that effective inter-agency cooperation remained critical to tackling the proliferation of illicit weapons.

He said the Federal Government established NCCSALW to coordinate efforts against illicit small arms and light weapons, with zonal structures across the six geopolitical zones and plans for state-level offices to strengthen its operations nationwide.

The Director-General, who was accompanied by the Centre’s North-Central Zonal Director, Abdullahi Adamu Eneche, also commended the existing relationship between the Niger Police Command and the Centre.

Kokumo described his meeting with CP Elleman as both official and symbolic, recalling their professional relationship while in active service.

Responding, CP Elleman described Kokumo as a distinguished retired senior police officer, mentor and seasoned professional, and assured him of the command’s continued support for NCCSALW.

He pledged that arms and ammunition recovered by the Niger State Police Command would be remitted to the Centre through the appropriate channels after investigations and other required procedures are concluded.

The CP said the move was in line with existing directives and would help ensure that recovered weapons were taken out of circulation rather than potentially finding their way back into criminal hands.

The meeting comes as security agencies continue efforts to curb the proliferation of illicit weapons, which remains a major concern in the fight against banditry, kidnapping and other violent crimes in the North-Central.



Continue Reading

Trending