Connect with us

Politics

Osun election: ‘Empty boast’ – Dele Momodu replies Wike

Published

on


A chieftain of the African Democratic Congress, ADC, Dele Momodu, has replied to a statement made by the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, Nyesom Wike, on the recently concluded Osun State governorship election.

Speaking during an interview on News Central Television on Wednesday, Momodu described the statement as “an empty boast.”

The minister had said he would have been in Osun State to help secure victory for the All Progressives Congress, APC, if President Bola Tinubu had wanted the party to win the election.

Replying, Momodu said Wike’s influence could not be greater than that of the Senate President and several governors who were unable to secure the desired result in Osun State.

The publisher of Ovation Magazine slammed the statement, describing it as unfortunate, and warned that the minister’s rhetoric suggested a strategy of enforcement to ensure APC victories in the 2027 general elections.

“I think it was a very unusual, uncommon and unfortunate statement for a minister of the Federal Republic of Nigeria to make, but nothing is beyond our friend, Wike, the FCT Minister.

“When I listened to him, I had to respond instantly because I knew that was an empty boast. If he had been in Osun, he would not have achieved anything.

“He is not bigger than the Senate President and all the governors who carried themselves to Osun to try to deliver Osun to the APC. But the danger in his statement must be noted, especially as we approach January 2027.

“The only way the APC can win the next presidential election and all the governorship elections is very simple. They will need to repeat what they attempted in Osun and failed woefully.

“I need to also remind Wike, in case he has already forgotten, that five of them abandoned the PDP in the last election, and three of them were from Abia, Enugu and Benue states.

“The then governors, three of the G-5 governors, attempted to win senatorial seats in their respective states and also failed spectacularly. So, that is to tell you that governors don’t have the power of life and death.

“Wike would have to divide himself into 36 states plus Abuja for him to perform the kind of magic he thinks he can perform,” Momodu said.




dailypost.ng

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

2027: I pity Tinubu because they’ll say he rigged after he wins - Sowunmi

Published

on

By


Segun Sowunmi during his visit with President Bola Tinubu.

Former Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) spokesperson, Segun Sowunmi, has expressed concern over the controversy he believes could follow the 2027 presidential election, saying President Bola Tinubu may face allegations of electoral manipulation even if he secures victory.

Sowunmi spoke on Channels Television’s Politics Today on Wednesday while discussing Tinubu’s prospects in the 2027 presidential race.

The PDP chieftain said the outcome of the election itself would not be the only issue confronting the country, arguing that the reaction of defeated candidates and their supporters could have greater implications for national stability.

“I pity him (Tinubu) because after he wins, they’re going to start saying he rigged,” Sowunmi said.

He maintained that the ability of political parties and their supporters to accept the result of the election would be critical to maintaining peace after the poll.

According to him, the electorate has the power to determine who governs them, and politicians must be willing to respect that choice even when the result favours their opponents.

“The biggest challenge for the stability of this country going forward is not so much who will win or who will lose, but how they will accept outcomes,” he said.

Sowunmi said an election could produce a result different from the expectations of a candidate, stressing that such an outcome should not automatically become a basis for claims of wrongdoing or attempts to destabilise the country.

“Because if you do an election and people can vote for you, they can vote for your rival,” he said.

He added that continued rejection of an electoral outcome after an opponent has been declared winner could create a situation where the person who received the people’s votes becomes the target of accusations and agitation.

“And if they do happen to vote for your rival and he wins, if you insist that all you are going to be doing is screaming up and down and instigating the society, how does the winner become the victim of the votes people gave him?” Sowunmi asked.

He urged political actors to place the stability of Nigeria above partisan interests by accepting the decision of voters and pursuing legitimate channels to challenge disputed results.


www.vanguardngr.com

Continue Reading

Politics

‘Obasanjo has no electoral value’ – Atiku

Published

on

By


The African Democratic Congress, ADC, presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, has said that former President Olusegun Obasanjo does not have any political value.

Speaking to newsmen on Wednesday, Atiku said he was not bothered by Obasanjo’s refusal to endorse him.

“In 1999, he could not even win his own state or the Southwest; it was Arewa that made him President. He possesses no electoral value,” Atiku said.

Recall that the duo have not been on good terms since they left office in 2007 after completing their second term of eight years as President and Vice President, respectively.

Atiku had revealed that he opposed Obasanjo’s third-term bid to defend Nigeria’s Constitution and democracy rather than out of personal loyalty.

Speaking on the 2027 general elections, Atiku said that as Vice President of Nigeria he gave many young Nigerians the opportunity to serve in government.

According to him, some of them are now governors, ministers, directors and holders of other important positions, adding that if he becomes President, young Nigerians will continue to be given opportunities to serve and lead.




dailypost.ng

Continue Reading

Politics

2027: I’ll return fuel subsidy if elected President – Atiku

Published

on

By


Former Vice President and 2027 presidential candidate of the African Democratic Congress, ADC, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, has pledged to reinstate the fuel subsidy regime if he is elected president of Nigeria in 2027.

Atiku argued that the removal of the fuel subsidy by President Bola Tinubu’s administration has not yielded any benefit for Nigeria.

Tinubu announced the removal of the subsidy during his inaugural presidential address in May 2023, a decision that immediately exacerbated the economic difficulties faced by citizens, with the prices of goods and services soaring to unprecedented levels.

Nevertheless, the current administration maintains that it has since increased monthly allocations to states and initiated infrastructure projects across the nation.

Despite having previously endorsed the removal of the fuel subsidy, Atiku Abubakar contends that it has not served the interests of the populace.

“I initially did not oppose the removal of the fuel subsidy. But now that it has been removed, where is the money? Where has the subsidy money gone? Has it been used to improve healthcare, education or security?” He said in an interview on social media.

“If I win the presidential election, I will restore the subsidy. And anyone who stole Nigeria’s subsidy funds must return the money,” he added.

Atiku is hoping to defeat the incumbent President and candidate of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Bola Tinubu, and his former vice-presidential candidate, Peter Obi, who is the flag bearer of the Nigeria Democratic Congress, NDC.




dailypost.ng

Continue Reading

Trending