Connect with us

Metro

Truck crushes man to death on Lagos-Ibadan Expressway

Published

on


A yet-to-be-identified man has been killed in a suspected hit-and-run crash along the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, near the OPIC corridor in Ogun State.

The incident occurred shortly before 1 pm on Wednesday when the victim, said to be a young adult, was reportedly attempting to cross the expressway from the Lagos-bound carriageway towards the roadside around the OPIC area.

Witnesses said a speeding truck struck the man and ran over him before the driver allegedly fled the scene.

The impact left the victim with fatal injuries, with parts of his body reportedly scattered across the carriageway, causing motorists to slow down and manoeuvre around the scene.

An eyewitness, identified as Nojeem, said the man was crossing the highway when the truck hit him.

Nojeem lamented the frequency of fatal incidents along the busy route and called for the construction of a pedestrian bridge to reduce the risk faced by people attempting to cross the expressway.

When the scene was visited shortly after 2 pm, the victim’s remains were still on the road.

Confirming the incident, the spokesperson for the Ogun State Traffic Compliance Agency, Babatunde Akinbiyi, said TRACE officials, alongside members of the Amotekun Corps, were deployed to control traffic following the crash.

Akinbiyi described the incident as a hit-and-run case at the OPIC bus stop on the Lagos-bound side of the expressway.

He said the crash had affected traffic movement, while efforts were underway to clear the remains from the carriageway and roadside.

In a later update issued around 6pm, Akinbiyi confirmed that the body had been removed from the road by officials of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) and taken to Olabisi Onabanjo University Teaching Hospital, Sagamu.

He added that the evacuation had been completed and normal vehicular movement had been restored along the affected section of the expressway.



Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro

Benue: Police bust vehicle theft gang, recover two motorcycles, car

Published

on

By


Operatives of the Benue State Police Command have arrested five suspects allegedly linked to a vehicle theft syndicate operating in Benue and neighbouring states, recovering two Bajaj motorcycles and a Toyota Corolla.

This was confirmed in a statement signed by the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Orchia Peter Aondongu, on behalf of the Commissioner of Police, Benue State Command, on August 18, 2026.

He said the operation followed a petition submitted to the Commissioner of Police by a resident of Gboko, who reported the alleged theft of his red Bajaj motorcycle valued at N1.34 million.

According to the Command, the motorcycle was allegedly obtained from the victim under false pretences after a suspect claimed he wanted to borrow it and promised to return it the following day.

Following the complaint, detectives attached to the Command Monitoring Unit launched an intelligence-led investigation, deploying advanced tracking techniques that eventually led to the arrest of the principal suspect.

Preliminary findings reportedly showed that the suspect was connected to the theft of other motorcycles and a Toyota Corolla, which were allegedly taken to Dan-Anacha in Gassol Local Government Area of Taraba State.

Acting on the information gathered, detectives proceeded to Taraba State, where an accomplice and three other suspects were arrested.

The police said two red Bajaj motorcycles and a Toyota Corolla were recovered during the operation and retained as exhibits.

The Command said efforts were ongoing to apprehend other members of the syndicate who were still at large, establish the full extent of their alleged activities and recover other stolen vehicles.

The Commissioner of Police urged residents to remain vigilant and report suspicious activities or suspected criminal conduct to the Police.

He reaffirmed the Command’s commitment to protecting lives and property and ensuring that those involved in criminal activities were brought to justice.

The police said the investigation into the case was still ongoing and that further updates would be made available to the public.



Continue Reading

Metro

NSCDC arrests three in Adamawa over alleged vandalism of 250 NNPC pipes

Published

on

By


The Adamawa State Command of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) has arrested three suspects in connection with the transportation of vandalised pipelines belonging to the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL).

The NSCDC Public Relations Officer in the state, DSC Amidu Nyako Baba, who disclosed this in a statement, said the suspects were apprehended by the Commandant’s Special Squad following credible intelligence on the movement of the vandalised pipes.

“They were intercepted at Jereng, Mayo-Belwa Local Government Area of Adamawa State, while conveying 250 pieces of metal pipes, each measuring approximately 8 to 10 feet in length,” the PRO stated.

He explained that the recovered pipes were concealed in bags of cassava in an attempt to disguise their true nature.

“Preliminary investigation indicates that the consignment was loaded at Namnai, Gassol Local Government Area of Taraba State, and was being transported to Kano State,” the NSCDC spokesman stated.

He added that the principal suspect, identified as Adamu Lawan, is currently at large, but efforts are being made to apprehend him.

The three arrested suspects are currently in custody and undergoing further investigation for possible prosecution.



Continue Reading

Metro

Police arrest suspect over attack on Plateau community

Published

on

By


The Plateau State Police Command has arrested a suspect in connection with the reported attack on Bin’per Community in Bwoi-Ruf District of Mangu Local Government Area.

The arrest followed credible intelligence obtained by the command during investigations into the incident.

According to the Police Public Relations Officer, SP Alfred Alabo in a statement issued on Thursday, the suspect was apprehended through the combined efforts of the Divisional Police Officers in Mangu and Bokkos.

“The suspect is currently in our custody while investigation is ongoing,” the statement said.

The command said it has intensified efforts to identify and arrest other individuals who may have been involved in the attack, adding that all available leads were being pursued to establish the circumstances surrounding the incident.

The Commissioner of Police in Plateau State, CP Ayodeji Faniyan, said the command would ensure that anyone found responsible for the attack, including those who may have sponsored, aided or abetted it, would face the law.

He said, “The Command, under my leadership, is doing everything within its constitutional powers to ensure that the perpetrators of the attack, including anyone found to have sponsored, aided, abetted or participated in the act, are identified, arrested and made to face the full weight of the law.”

The Commissioner urged residents, particularly those in affected and neighbouring communities, to remain vigilant and provide the Police with timely and credible information that could assist in preventing crime and apprehending offenders.

The command also appealed for continued public cooperation and reaffirmed its commitment to protecting lives and property and maintaining peace across Plateau State.

The Police further commended members of the media for their professionalism and cooperation in keeping residents informed.



Continue Reading

Trending