Connect with us

Metro

Businessman sells assets to finance N23m cocaine deal, arrested at Lagos airport

Published

on


A 48-year-old businessman, Nwankwo Innocent Onyebuchi, has been arrested by operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, NDLEA, at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, MMIA, Lagos, while allegedly attempting to travel to New Delhi, India, with 1.550 kilograms of cocaine concealed in his luggage.

Onyebuchi, who deals in marbles in Lagos, was arrested at the departure hall of Terminal II of the airport while preparing to board a Qatar Airways flight to New Delhi.

According to a statement by the NDLEA, the cocaine was cleverly concealed within the side walls and railings of his check-in bag. A search of the luggage led to the discovery of the 1.550kg consignment, which had been factory-fitted into the walls and railings of the bag.

The agency said the arrest was made as part of its operations against the illegal drug trade.

During interrogation, Onyebuchi reportedly disclosed that he had sold his marble business and every asset he owned to raise the sum of ₦23 million which he paid for the cocaine consignment.

He reportedly planned to sell the drugs in India for as much as ₦100 million.

However, his plan to make quick money from the illicit drug trade was cut short by his arrest. He remains in custody pending prosecution.

The NDLEA also reported the seizure of a large quantity of codeine-based syrup in another operation carried out in Lagos.

Operatives acting on credible intelligence raided a warehouse located within a residential compound at 20 Hakeem Dosumu Street, Ago Palace area of Okota, Lagos.

The operation, conducted between Friday, August 7 and Saturday, August 8, 2026, resulted in the seizure of 3,776 cartons containing 377,600 bottles of the controlled substance.

The recovered codeine-based syrup was valued at more than ₦2.6 billion.

In another intelligence-led operation in Lagos, NDLEA operatives raided the residence of a 55-year-old alleged drug kingpin, Shoremi Kayode, at 37 Ogundare Street, Ipaja Estate, Ipaja area of Lagos.

The raid, conducted on Wednesday, August 14, resulted in the recovery of 324 kilograms of Colorado, a synthetic strain of cannabis, with a street value of ₦972 million.

Operatives also recovered a Mercedes-Benz car and a Toyota Corolla car from the suspect.

In Kwara State, two suspects, Abubakar Adamu, 50, and Bilyaminu Nuhu, 30, were arrested at the Kam Wire area of Ilorin on Thursday, August 13.

The suspects were arrested with 55.96kg of skunk in a truck marked DKA 350 XL.

Also in Oyo State, NDLEA officers on patrol along the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway in Ibadan arrested two other suspects, 70-year-old Abdulfatai Oyelaran and Abdulrauf Ajadi, 50, on Wednesday, August 12.

A search of their Toyota Sienna vehicle, marked FFA-115KA, led to the recovery of 52,000 ampoules of pentazocine injection and 6,000 ampoules of tramadol injection.

In another operation along the Onitsha/Asaba Expressway on Thursday, August 13, NDLEA operatives arrested two suspects, Osaro Ikpoba, 43, and Samuel Godbless, 18.

The agency said the suspects were found with 124,100 pills of tramadol, 786 bottles of codeine syrup, 2,598 tablets of rohypnol, 4,800 tablets of diazepam, 470 ampoules of pentazocine injection and 200 ampoules of tramadol injection.

Another suspect, Emeka Tony, 50, was arrested along the Kwale/Ozoro Expressway on Wednesday, August 12.

NDLEA operatives recovered 1,244 pieces of cartridges and a monetary exhibit of ₦8 million from him.

In Plateau State, a Toyota Corolla car with registration number MKD 341 EA was intercepted along the Riyom/Jos Road, Jos.

The operation led to the recovery of 239,490 capsules of Tramaforce, a brand of tramadol, while a suspect identified as Kasum Sherif was arrested.

Meanwhile, six suspects were arrested by NDLEA operatives on patrol along the Zaria-Kano Road in Kano State on Monday, August 10.

They were identified as Okodili Ibeabuchi, 60; Onyeka Vincent, 47; Nwanko Wisdom, 36; Success Chigozie, 30; Emmanuel Jude, 27; and Chinedu Peter, 39.

According to the agency, large consignments of opioids were recovered from the suspects, including 728,958 pills of tramadol, rohypnol and other substances.

The operatives also recovered 360 grams of cocaine, 99.8 grams of methamphetamine, 50 bottles of codeine syrup and 2.7 kilograms of Loud, a synthetic strain of cannabis.

In another operation in Kano, NDLEA operatives on Friday, August 14, raided Zawaciki Gida Dubu in Kumbotso Local Government Area.

The raid resulted in the recovery of 171 blocks of skunk weighing 106.8kg.

Two suspects, Mustapha Iliya, 30, and Abdulwahab Abdulrashid, 24, were arrested in connection with the seizure.

In Edo State, NDLEA operatives destroyed a total of 4,628.9775kg of skunk found on two cannabis farms measuring 1.851591 hectares at Ugboku/Igbanke forest in Orhionmwon Local Government Area.

A suspect, Agholor Elebojie, 40, was arrested in one of the farms during a raid carried out by NDLEA operatives on Wednesday, August 12.

Also in Edo, another suspect, Kingsley Anigala, 28, was arrested during a raid on drug joints in the Oluku area of Benin City on Friday, August 14.

The agency said 25.857kg of Loud and 93 grams of methamphetamine were recovered from him.

The Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of the NDLEA, Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (Rtd), commended the officers, men and women of the MMIA, Lagos, Kano, Kwara, Edo, Plateau, Oyo and Delta Commands for the arrests and seizures recorded during the week.

Marwa also praised personnel of other commands across the country for maintaining what he described as a fair balance between efforts to reduce the supply of illicit drugs and efforts to reduce demand for them.

“Chairman/Chief Executive Officer of NDLEA, Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (Rtd) also praised their counterparts in all the commands across the country for pursuing a fair balance between their drug supply reduction and drug demand reduction efforts,” the statement said.



Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro

NDLEA destroys N329bn worth of illicit drugs in Lagos

Published

on

By


The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, NDLEA, has destroyed 329,865.585 kilogrammes of assorted illicit substances with an estimated street value of N301.058 billion in Lagos.

The court-authorised destruction exercise, conducted on Monday at Navy Town, Ojo, followed orders issued by the Federal High Court, Lagos Judicial Division, and involved narcotics from concluded uncontested cases as well as abandoned seizures.

According to a statement by the NDLEA spokesperson, Femi Babafemi, 246,864.535kg of the drugs were seized by the agency’s Lagos Strategic Command between April 2025 and May 2026.

The remaining 83,001.05kg were recovered by the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Tincan and Apapa Strategic Commands, Marine Command and a Special Operations Unit operating within Lagos.

The substances destroyed included cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine, various strains of cannabis such as Canadian Loud and skunk, ephedrine, tramadol, codeine syrup, other opioids and khat leaves.

Speaking at the exercise, the NDLEA Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (retd.), described the destruction as a demonstration of the country’s determination to prevent illicit drugs from fuelling criminal activities and undermining society.

Marwa noted that every quantity of narcotics removed from circulation represented a potential threat to individuals, families and communities.

He said the impact of drug trafficking extended beyond addiction, as illicit substances could weaken the workforce, increase pressure on healthcare services, discourage investment and divert public resources that could otherwise be used for education, healthcare and infrastructure.

The NDLEA chairman commended President Bola Tinubu for supporting the agency’s mandate, while also acknowledging the contributions of the judiciary, Lagos State Government, military, other security agencies, international partners, civil society organisations, traditional institutions, the media and members of the public.

He also praised NDLEA officers across the country, particularly personnel operating in Lagos, for their sacrifices and commitment to combating drug trafficking.

Marwa warned drug barons, traffickers, financiers, distributors and dealers that the agency would intensify efforts to dismantle their networks.

“Wherever you hide, whoever sponsors you and however sophisticated your network may be, the long arm of the law will reach you,” he said.

He urged Nigerians, including parents, schools, religious and traditional leaders and media organisations, to actively support efforts to curb drug abuse and trafficking, stressing that the fight could not be won by the NDLEA alone.

Sanwo-Olu: Destruction exposes scale of drug threat

Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu said the quantity of narcotics destroyed underscored the seriousness of the drug problem confronting the country.

The governor, represented by the Secretary to the State Government, Bimbola Salu-Hundeyin, described the exercise as both a warning about the scale of the threat and evidence of what could be achieved through cooperation among law enforcement agencies, the judiciary and government.

“The scale of what has been destroyed today, about 300 tons of narcotics and psychotropic substances, is a huge and sobering reminder of the enormity of the threat that illicit drugs pose to our communities, our young people, and our collective future,” Sanwo-Olu said.

He assured that Lagos would remain committed to tackling drug abuse and trafficking.

“Lagos State is unwavering in its resolve to confront drug abuse and trafficking, and we will not relent in our efforts to do this,” he said.

Customs: Drug seizures will hurt criminal networks

The Comptroller-General of the Nigeria Customs Service, Bashir Adewale Adeniyi, commended the NDLEA for what he described as its sustained efforts against drug trafficking.

Adeniyi said the seizures reflected the agency’s operations across the country’s seaports, airports and land borders, sending a strong message to traffickers operating within Nigeria.

“It is not just about the size of what we are seeing but about the scope of what has been taken from operations conducted in our seaports, at our airports, at our land borders. This therefore represents a very strong message to drug dealers that they are no longer welcome in Nigeria,” he said.

He also linked proceeds from illicit drug trafficking to the activities of violent non-state actors, including bandits, kidnappers, armed robbers, insurgents and terrorists.

According to him, disrupting the drug trade would deny such criminal groups an important source of funding.

“Bandits, kidnappers, armed robbers, insurgents, terrorists, this is their oxygen,” Adeniyi said, adding that the destruction of the seized substances would translate into significant financial losses for drug traffickers while limiting resources available to violent criminal groups.

He commended Marwa and NDLEA personnel involved in the operations leading to the seizures.

Also speaking, the Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abbas, represented by the Flag Officer Commanding, Western Naval Command, Rear Admiral Abdullahi Mustapha, reaffirmed the Nigerian Navy’s continued support for the country’s drug-control efforts coordinated by the NDLEA.



Continue Reading

Metro

Lakurawa fighters kill two, lead prayers in Sokoto mosque

Published

on

By


Lakurawa fighters reportedly killed two people and led Friday prayers at the Izalah Central Mosque in Kaya village, Tambuwal Local Government Area of Sokoto State.

Bakatsine, a journalist covering conflicts in North-West Nigeria, disclosed this in a post on X on Monday.

According to him, the fighters arrived in the community around 11am and remained there for nearly seven hours, forcing residents to stay indoors while they moved from house to house and stole cattle.

He said the fighters later went to the mosque for Jumu’ah prayers, made the call to prayer and led the prayers, while most residents remained indoors out of fear.

Bakatsine added that the fighters subsequently looted shops and Point-of-Sale outlets, carting away goods and large sums of money before leaving the community around 5pm.

He wrote: “BREAKING: Lakurawa fighters reportedly killed two people, led the Friday prayers, at the Izalah Central Mosque in Kaya village, Tambuwal LGA, Sokoto State.

“A resident said they arrived around 11am and stayed for almost seven hours, forcing residents to remain inside their homes while they moved from house to house, stealing cattle.

“When it was time for Jumu’ah prayers, they went to the mosque, made the call to prayer and led the prayers, while most residents stayed indoors out of fear.

“They later looted shops and POS outlets, taking away goods and large sums of money before leaving the community around 5pm.”

Bakatsine described the incident as disturbing, questioning how armed fighters could occupy a community for hours, restrict residents’ movement, take over a mosque and loot businesses without intervention.



Continue Reading

Metro

Son, 23, allegedly hacks mother, 60, to death in Ondo

Published

on

By


Ore community, headquarters of Odigbo Local Government Area of Ondo State, has been engulfed in tension following the alleged killing of a 60-year-old woman, Olufunke Akuade, by his 23-year-old son, Samuel Akuade.

Samuel, on Sunday, allegedly used a cutlass to hack his mother to death in their residence at Powerline Axis, along Ore–Okitipupa Road.

With the motive behind Samuel’s action yet to be unraveled, sources in the area stated that the victim inflicted severe injuries on the deceased during the brutal attack.

While confirming the incident, the Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Abayomi Jimoh, disclosed that the suspect had been arrested and is currently in custody.

According to Jimoh, “The Command received a report that the deceased was found lying in a pool of blood at her residence. Preliminary information revealed that the victim had sustained deep machete cuts and was already dead when she was discovered.

“Following the report, police operatives from the Ore Division immediately mobilized to the scene, secured the area, and commenced a preliminary investigation. A machete suspected to have been used in the attack was recovered, while the scene was photographed and documented.

“The suspected assailant, initially identified simply as Samuel, was reported to have fled the scene before the arrival of the police. However, following sustained efforts by the operatives, Samuel Akoade was subsequently arrested and taken into police custody.

“The remains of the deceased have been deposited at the mortuary, while the suspect remains in custody. The case has been transferred to the State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID), Akure, for further investigation.

“The Commissioner of Police, Ondo State Command, CP Felix N. Ohagwu, psc, mnips, mspsp, has directed that the investigation be conducted thoroughly and professionally to establish the circumstances surrounding the killing and ensure that anyone found culpable is brought to justice.

“The Command also reassures residents of its commitment to protecting lives and property and urges members of the public to continue providing timely and useful information to the police, particularly on suspicious activities within their communities.”



Continue Reading

Trending