Connect with us

Metro

Truck crushes man to death on Lagos-Ibadan Expressway

Published

on


A yet-to-be-identified man has been killed in a suspected hit-and-run crash along the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, near the OPIC corridor in Ogun State.

The incident occurred shortly before 1 pm on Wednesday when the victim, said to be a young adult, was reportedly attempting to cross the expressway from the Lagos-bound carriageway towards the roadside around the OPIC area.

Witnesses said a speeding truck struck the man and ran over him before the driver allegedly fled the scene.

The impact left the victim with fatal injuries, with parts of his body reportedly scattered across the carriageway, causing motorists to slow down and manoeuvre around the scene.

An eyewitness, identified as Nojeem, said the man was crossing the highway when the truck hit him.

Nojeem lamented the frequency of fatal incidents along the busy route and called for the construction of a pedestrian bridge to reduce the risk faced by people attempting to cross the expressway.

When the scene was visited shortly after 2 pm, the victim’s remains were still on the road.

Confirming the incident, the spokesperson for the Ogun State Traffic Compliance Agency, Babatunde Akinbiyi, said TRACE officials, alongside members of the Amotekun Corps, were deployed to control traffic following the crash.

Akinbiyi described the incident as a hit-and-run case at the OPIC bus stop on the Lagos-bound side of the expressway.

He said the crash had affected traffic movement, while efforts were underway to clear the remains from the carriageway and roadside.

In a later update issued around 6pm, Akinbiyi confirmed that the body had been removed from the road by officials of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) and taken to Olabisi Onabanjo University Teaching Hospital, Sagamu.

He added that the evacuation had been completed and normal vehicular movement had been restored along the affected section of the expressway.



Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro

Millitary, CJTF overrun ISWAP terrorist camp in Borno [Video]

Published

on

By


Nigerian troops, alongside members of the Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF), have reportedly overrun an ISWAP terrorist camp in the Damboa area of Borno State.

A video showing the troops and CJTF members at the location has emerged following the reported operation.

The video was shared on X by BSN, an investigative news channel.

Several insurgents reportedly fled the camp, abandoning weapons, equipment and other materials.

DAILY POST reports that Borno State remains one of the areas worst affected by the Boko Haram insurgency and ISWAP activities in Nigeria’s Northeast.

The military, in collaboration with local security groups, including the CJTF, has continued to conduct operations aimed at dismantling terrorist camps, disrupting their activities and restoring security to affected communities.

Watch video:



Continue Reading

Metro

Police arrest six over viral video of motorists’ harassment in Lagos

Published

on

By


The Lagos State Police Command has arrested six suspects following the emergence of a viral video showing suspected miscreants allegedly harassing motorists on a Lagos road.

The command’s spokesperson, SP Abimbola Adebisi, confirmed the arrests in a post on her X handle on Thursday while responding to the footage.

The video showed suspected miscreants allegedly attempting to damage the side mirror of a vehicle, prompting concerns among members of the public.

Adebisi said the police had been monitoring the activities of individuals involved in such acts and had taken steps to address the problem before the video gained attention online.

She said six suspects were subsequently arrested along the same road in connection with the incident.

“The command wishes to clarify that it had already been on the lookout for, and taking proactive measures against, miscreants involved in such activities even before the said video surfaced online.

“Following the incident, six suspects have been arrested on the same road, and an investigation is ongoing,” she said.

The police spokesperson added that additional officers had been strategically deployed to the area to strengthen surveillance and deter further incidents.

She commended members of the public for drawing the command’s attention to the incident and urged residents to continue providing credible and timely information that could aid police operations.

Adebisi reaffirmed the command’s commitment to protecting motorists and other residents while tackling criminal activities across Lagos State.



Continue Reading

Metro

DSS arrests three suspected kidnappers, rescues victim in Nasarawa

Published

on

By


Operatives of the Department of State Services (DSS) have arrested three suspected kidnappers in Nasarawa State and rescued a victim.

One suspect was apprehended at the criminals’ hideout in Atabula, Duduguru community, Jenkwe Development Area, while the other two were tracked down and arrested at a hotel in Lafia, the state capital.

The security operatives also burnt down the makeshift camp used by the criminals and recovered cash, five mobile phones and other items during the raid.

In a statement issued on Thursday by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Ibrahim Addra, Governor Abdullahi Sule described the arrest as a demonstration of the effectiveness and dedication of the security agencies.

Governor Sule commended the security agencies for their vigilance and commitment to tackling crime and criminality in the state.

He urged them to sustain the momentum and remain resolute in the fight against criminal elements in all parts of the state.

The governor assured the security agencies of the continued support of his administration in the discharge of their responsibilities.

Governor Sule also appealed to citizens to remain vigilant and provide timely, credible and useful information to security agencies.

“Collective vigilance and cooperation are essential to maintaining peace and security in the state,” he said.



Continue Reading

Trending