Connect with us

Sports

‘Real Reason’ Max Verstappen Has Signed Contract Extension at Red Bull

Published

on


For months now, Max Verstappen‘s future at Red Bull has hung on a knife-edge, with the four-time world champion’s next move shrouded in uncertainty.

The Dutchman has been at the centre of intense speculation, with potential moves to Mercedes and McLaren discussed extensively, but walking away from the sport altogether was not out of the question either.

Yet, despite the uncertainty regarding his future at Red Bull and in F1 entirely, it seems that we have finally been given our answer to where Verstappen will be spending the next years of his career.

After months of conjecture, rumours, and every F1 fan having their say on where Verstappen will move to, the Dutchman has chosen to bring the speculation to an emphatic closure as he has chosen to extend his stay with Red Bull till 2030, extending his stay with the Milton Keynes outfit after previously being contracted until 2028.

Max Verstappen Commits His Future to Red Bull

Max Verstappen Bruna Casas via Reuters

One question floating around the F1 community this morning is why Verstappen has chosen to commit his future to his current team amid months of speculation and interest from other sides.

His previous deal contained clauses that could have allowed him to depart Red Bull at the end of the current season, making his decision to extend his stay all the more significant.

The exact terms of his new deal remain unclear, including whether similar exit clauses have been included.

But while a new contract with arguably the greatest F1 driver in the world has given Red Bull a ginormous boost, it is clear that the side that has fostered the likes of Verstappen and Sebastian Vettel – another driver who won four successive World Championships – is on a downward spiral.

With the Dutch Grand Prix taking place this Sunday, it presents Verstappen and Red Bull with an opportunity to remind the rest of the grid of their prowess and reignite a campaign that has so far fallen short of expectations.

Speaking about his new contract, Verstappen explained the importance of the people around him and the bond he has developed with the team, as well as revealing the real reason why he chose to stay put.

“We have the best people, and I’m excited to keep working together with everyone to get back to the top again,” said Verstappen. “This remains the ultimate goal that all of us have been working towards and will continue to pursue.

“I have always said it: the team is like a second family for me and I feel very at home. I came to the team hoping to be able to win races. What we went on to achieve together has been simply lovely, and we have shared many incredible moments and won four world championships.”

Verstappen’s Belief in Red Bull

Max Verstappen

Had Verstappen been offered a new deal a few months prior, this saga may have unfolded very differently.

The Dutchman has found renewed belief in the team’s direction since Laurent Mekies replaced the polarising Christian Horner as team principal last July.

Verstappen’s late-season charge last year came under Mekies’ stewardship, while the new Red Bull boss has seemingly given the driver further confidence in the project’s long-term ambitions.

“To continue this journey with the same team that I have been with my whole career is really special and something I have always wanted to do,” Verstappen added: “Getting to work with Laurent now for over a year has also been great. I see a clear vision he has for the team.

“Everyone in Milton Keynes believes in what we are building, and I am looking forward to the next chapter, fighting for more victories and competing for championships as we continue to shape the future of this team.”

Mekies also paid tribute to the Dutchman, praising his four World Championships and talking about his importance to the team.

“Very few partnerships in sport achieve what Max and this team have,” he said. “Since the very beginning, Max has embodied everything that makes Oracle Red Bull Racing special: uncompromising competitiveness, relentless determination, and the courage to challenge convention. His impact on our team and on Red Bull’s motorsport story has been transformational, and he has been fundamental to everything we have accomplished together.”

After months of speculation, Verstappen’s future is no longer shrouded in uncertainty. The question breaching the lips of every F1 fan now is, do Red Bull have what it takes to return to the summit?

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Romano Reveals Two More Signings Man Utd Signings Could Make After Baleba

Published

on

By


Manchester United could strengthen in two more positions once Carlos Baleba has joined from Brighton & Hove Albion, according to Fabrizio Romano.

The Red Devils are closing in on the signature of the Cameroon international as they look to give their midfield a complete refresh for the new term.

A priority position for the club in the transfer market, Andrey Santos was the first to join from Chelsea before Michael Carrick’s side struck a deal with Aston Villa for Youri Tielemans.

Baleba will help elevate United’s midfield to another level after catching the eye with a number of big performances for Brighton ever since his move from Lille in 2023.

United have been active in the transfer market this summer and it appears that the arrival of Baleba will not be their last deal before the window closes for business on September 1.

Speaking on GIVEMESPORT’s Market Madness podcast, the transfer expert spoke about the possibility of a new left-back and attacker signing on the dotted line at Old Trafford.

“And then I think United will also get a left back before the end of the window,” said Romano. “They are exploring options. I don’t think it’s going to be Lewis Hall because at the moment Newcastle are not opening the doors, so it’s not easy at all unless there is a big change before the deadline. It’s a very complicated one.

Let’s see what happens also up front because in case of a good proposal for Joshua Zirkzee, there could be some movement. So I think it could be a busy end of the window for United, definitely.

Lewis Hall alternative

lewis hall england via Reuters

With Hall now set to remain at Newcastle United, the Red Devils will have to explore alternative options when it comes to a new left-back as they plan for the future.

Jorge Salinas of Racing Santander has been linked with a move to Old Trafford following his performances that saw the Spanish club promoted to LaLiga.

The 19-year-old, who has been linked with a transfer to Barcelona, registered seven assists in 34 games in all competitions last term and it does appear that he will move on at some point in the future if he continues to excel.

While Racing want to keep him for the years ahead, sporting director Chema Aragon knows they will be powerless if a footballing “giant” makes their move.

“There’s little you can do if a giant appears,” Aragan said. “We value the assets we have, we consider them important. For the club, at this time, there is no other option than to try to strengthen the team and not weaken it by losing stars. The reality is that the club that wants him has to come along with an offer.”

Continue Reading

Sports

Biggest Sports Franchise Sales in North America

Published

on

By


The cost of owning a piece of American sport has skyrocketed in the past few years; a decade ago, $2 billion for a franchise was a major headline, now it might only secure a small percentage.

Every single entry on this list has landed since 2022, and four of them in 2026 alone. The driving reason behind it is simple: media rights money, legalised gambling, private equity money entering the leagues, and a fixed supply of assets.

The Los Angeles Lakers now occupies the top two positions after being sold twice in 14 months as the country’s biggest franchise names continue to show considerable growth over recent years. Interestingly, a large proportion of this list was bought and sold for incredible returns — displaying North American sport’s expansion from a financial perspective.

With that in mind, here are the 11 biggest sales in North American sports history, in reverse order.

11

Charlotte Hornets

$3 billion (2023)

Brandon Miller Charlotte Hornets

The end of Michael Jordan‘s 13 years as an NBA owner. A group fronted by Gabe Plotkin and Rick Schnall took majority control in July 2023 in a deal valuing the Charlotte Hornets at $3 billion. Jordan had paid $275 million for the franchise — then the Bobcats — in March 2010, turning a return of nearly 11x on a team that reached the playoffs twice under his watch.

10

Dallas Mavericks

$3.5 billion (2023)

Dallas Mavericks Utah Jazz

Mark Cuban sold a majority stake to Miriam Adelson and her family in December 2023 at a $3.5 billion valuation, having bought the Dallas Mavericks for $285 million in 2000. Cuban retained a minority holding and basketball operations influence, but the relationship soured quickly.

9

San Diego Padres

$3.9 billion (2026)

San Diego Padres Reuters

This was an MLB record, and a huge one — the previous high was $2.4 billion. José E. Feliciano and Kwanza Jones agreed in May 2026 to buy the San Diego Padres from the ownership group that took over in 2012 for $800 million. The deal required approval from 22 of 29 owners and cleared its final vote in August. Feliciano and Jones inherit an expensive, aging roster and a payroll problem.

8

Phoenix Suns & Mercury

$4 billion (2023)

Bradley Beal Phoenix Suns-1

Mortgage lending billionaire Mat Ishbia and his brother Justin bought majority control of the Phoenix Suns and WNBA’s Mercury in February 2023 at a $4 billion valuation. The sale was effectively forced: Robert Sarver had been suspended for a year following the NBA’s investigation into workplace culture. Sarver paid $401 million for both teams in 2004 — a tenfold return in under two decades.

7

Portland Trail Blazers

$4.25 billion (2026)

Jerami Grant, Anfernee Simons of the Portland Trail Blazers talk on the court. Photo by Dustin Satloff/Getty Images

Carolina Hurricanes owner Tom Dundon completed his move into the NBA in March 2026, buying the Portland Trail Blazers from Paul Allen’s estate at $4.25 billion. Allen had paid $70 million in 1988. Dundon’s tenure has been abrasive from the start — he cut the team’s long-serving broadcast staff in July 2026 as part of wider cost-cutting, and found himself in a public fight with Portland’s city council over arena funding.

6

Denver Broncos

$4.65 billion (2022)

Tim Patrick Fantasy Football Sleeper Denver Broncos

© Ron Chenoy-USA TODAY Sports

The deal that reset the NFL market. The Walton-Penner group, fronted by Walmart heir Rob Walton, bought the Denver Broncos in August 2022 for $4.65 billion from the trust that had run the club since 2014. Pat Bowlen bought Denver from Edgar Kaiser for $78 million in 1984 and relinquished control in 2014 as Alzheimer’s advanced. He died in 2019, four years before the sale completed.

5

Washington Commanders

$6.05 billion (2023)

Washington Commanders helmet Brad Mills-Imagn Images

Josh Harris, already owner of the Philadelphia 76ers and New Jersey Devils, led the group that paid $6.05 billion in May 2023 to remove Daniel Snyder from the NFL. Snyder had bought the club for $800 million in 1999 from the estate of Jack Kent Cooke, and left amid congressional scrutiny and multiple workplace investigations. The sale was as much an exorcism as a transaction.

4

Boston Celtics

$6.1 billion (2025)

Jrue Holiday Boston Celtics

For roughly two months in spring 2025, this was the biggest sale in North American sports history. Bill Chisholm, managing partner of Symphony Technology Group, bought the Boston Celtics from the Grousbeck family, who had paid $360 million in 2002 and delivered two championships. The scale of the shift since is captured in one number: the Lakers deal announced in 2026 was, shockingly, more than double it.

3

Seattle Seahawks

$9.612 billion (2026)

Lumen Field home of the Seattle Seahawks

An NFL record, struck in July 2026 with the Seattle Seahawks fresh off a Super Bowl win. The Paul Allen estate sold to a group led by the Khosla family, previously minority holders in the San Francisco 49ers — a stake they must now divest. Allen bought the Seahawks for around $200 million in 1997, partly to block a prospective buyer’s plan to relocate the team to Anaheim.

2

Los Angeles Lakers

$10 billion (2025)

Los Angeles Lakers D'Angelo Russell Rui Hachimura

This was the sale that ended one of sport’s great dynasties. Mark Walter bought the Los Angeles Lakers from the Buss family in June 2025 at a $10 billion valuation, breaking the Celtics record set weeks earlier. Jerry Buss had bought the club from Jack Kent Cooke for around $68 million in 1979 and built it into the Showtime era; the family ran it alone until Walter arrived, retaining 15% and Jeanie Buss as governor.

Continue Reading

Sports

Romano Issues New Mbaye and Barcola Liverpool Transfer Update

Published

on

By


Liverpool have held talks with Ibrahim Mbaye’s agent regarding a summer transfer to Anfield but a move depends on Paris Saint-Germain’s transfer valuation, according to Fabrizio Romano.

The Reds have been rather quiet in the transfer market this summer for new boss Andoni Iraola despite such a poor 2025/26 campaign on Merseyside.

Agreeing a deal with Rennes for centre-back Jeremy Jacquet back in February, Liverpool have also completed the signing of Spanish winger Victor Munoz from Osasuna.

Further reinforcements are needed in attack, especially following Mohamed Salah’s exit, Hugo Ekitike’s injury and the possibility of Cody Gakpo heading to Tottenham before the summer window closes for business.

Liverpool are keen on signing Bradley Barcola from Paris Saint-Germain to upgrade their attack but agreeing on a fee has proved problematic so far with the French side valuing their winger at £130m.

Mbaye of PSG is also a target, with conversations with Jorge Mendes, the youngster’s agent, taking place.

Speaking on GIVEMESPORT’s Market Madness podcast, Romano issued a fresh update on Liverpool’s move for Mbaye and also claimed that the Reds do have more options on their transfer list ahead of the deadline.

“I expect also Liverpool to add one more winger to the squad, especially if Cody Gakpo goes to Tottenham,” said Romano.

“Mbaye is one of the names. It’s true. They had conversations with the agent of the player, Jorge Mendes, but at the moment it depends on the valuation.

I don’t see Liverpool paying €200m (£170m) to Paris Saint-Germain for Barcola and Mbaye. So, the price [needs to] come down for both players, or Barcola top priority and, eventually, Mbaye. But Liverpool also have more options on the list.

Mbaye’s 2025/26 campaign in numbers:

Ligue 1

Appearances: 24

Minutes: 998

Starts: 10

Goals: 3

Assists: 2

Champions League

Appearances: 4

Minutes: 101

Starts: 1

Goals: 0

Assists: 0

Ibrahim Mbaye via Reuters

If he does indeed secure a move to Anfield before the transfer deadline, Senegal winger Mbaye will be looking to follow in the footsteps of Sadio Mane at Liverpool.

Mane was a huge success on Merseyside as he contributed 120 goals and 46 assists in 269 games for the Reds as he helped them win multiple honours.

Mane knows that Mbaye is extremely talented, labelling him as an “exceptional player” during their time together at the Africa Cup of Nations at the start of the year.

“Seventeen years old and at this level, I think it’s impressive. He has a bright future ahead of him,” said Mane after Mbaye assisted him in a 1-1 draw with DR Congo.

“We will try to help him find the right rhythm so that he can help us even more, because he is an exceptional player.”

After the roles were reversed and Mane assisted Mbaye for a goal against Sudan in the round of 16, he said: “It’s a pleasure to give him a pass. I think we know each other very well.

“When I saw him, his speed was incredible. I just had to put it in front of him. He capitalised on the defender’s mistake. He scored the goal. We’re all happy for him.”

Continue Reading

Trending