FIFA’s chief operating officer has been sacked, just weeks after he came out and criticised Gianni Infantino’s failed World Cup sell-off plan. Kevin Lamour’s departure, after holding a high-ranking role in football’s governing body, was confirmed in a statement on Monday night.
The focus on Infantino and FIFA’s handling of the World Cup has been under increased scrutiny since the tournament concluded last month, with Spain dethroning Argentina in a 1-0 win at MetLife Stadium. While controversy was already in the air over Donald Trump’s ability to phone his FIFA chief friend to help rescind USA’s Folarin Balogun’s red card, Infantino’s walls have been closing in even quicker over the last few weeks.
UEFA are among his biggest opponents after Infantino unveiled plans to get rich from World Cup stake sales, with Aleksander Ceferin leading discussions that have prompted major European nations, such as England, to withdraw their written support for him ahead of March’s important election.
And now, with opposition to his leadership continuing to grow, FIFA have sacked a rival within their organisation after a leaked letter to the rest of the governing body revealed their decision. In a statement, a FIFA spokesperson said, as per Sky News:
“FIFA can confirm that the working relationship between FIFA and Kevin Lamour as FIFA’s Chief Operating Officer has ended on 17 August 2026. FIFA thanks Kevin for his two years of service and wishes him the best of luck for the future.”
FIFA Sent Letter To Members After Kevin Lamour’s Exit
REUTERS/Jia Haocheng
Lamour’s exit fell on the same day that Infantino lost the support of the Scottish FA, though many other nations – including Argentina, Mexico, Morocco, and a handful of Arab countries – maintain their support for his leadership.
A letter sent to FIFA vice presidents and council members by Mattias Grafstrom, the FIFA secretary general, was also leaked, which revealed what the governing body had to say to other members about their decision to axe Lamour. The letter says: “Following recent discussions, FIFA and our Chief Operating Officer, Kevin Lamour have agreed to part ways.
“This decision was made after careful consideration and with great respect for Kevin, both personally and professionally. Kevin joined FIFA in November 2024 and in this time has overseen a period of significant change, including improved relationships with stakeholders and the delivery of several significant projects of joint interest, amongst many other key achievements.
“You will have seen Kevin present in each FIFA Council meeting since his appointment in 2024, and many of you will have had a regular working relationship with Kevin on projects of various kinds since his joining FIFA.”
You scored
out of 20
It concluded: “I felt it was important that I personally provide you this update and I would like to express my gratitude to Kevin for these contributions and for his work and commitment on behalf of FIFA on a daily basis. I wish Kevin all the best for the future.”
Lamour’s Criticism of Gianni Infantino’s Leadership
REUTERS/Brian Snyder
Infantino faced a revolt after his plan to sell stakes in the World Cup to private equity investors. He withdrew the $20bn (15bn) proposal after a furious backlash by global football officials, including UEFA, which warned of a boycott of all FIFA games and events.
Lamour, 45, wrote back in July that staff were “deceived” by Infantino’s lack of openness in planning the sale over recent months and “deserve better than contempt and intimidation”. His statement came hours after Infantino’s senior adviser Carlos Cordeiro resigned and urged other senior FIFA staff to speak out.
The sacked chief operating officer said he had a duty to his colleagues in the statement. “And if that means I lose my job then so be it,” the French official said. “I will understand and respect that decision. At least I’ll sleep well tonight.”
A change in drivers has been confirmed for Red Bull Racing ahead of the Dutch Grand Prix this weekend after Isack Hadjar picked up an injury.
The event, held at Circuit Zandvoort in North Holland, marks Formula One’s return from its summer break, but Hadjar won’t be racing. Alan Permane’s team, Racing Bulls, have confirmed to the New Zealand Herald that the substitution will go ahead.
Hadjar has been an immense signing for Red Bull so far, meaning his absence will be a huge blow for the upcoming Grand Prix. The 21-year-old has doubled the contribution of his replacement in just half a season, while also lapping within two-tenths of Max Verstappen on average.
Isack Hadjar’s Dutch Grand Prix Replacement Confirmed
As first reported by Dutch news outlet De Telegraaf, Hadjar picked up a wrist injury during the summer off-season. Replacing him this weekend will be Liam Lawson, who hasn’t raced for Red Bull since the start of the 2025 season.
While Hadjar’s injury isn’t believed to be serious, his team still think it’ll be a couple of weeks until the French-Algerian driver is back in action. It means Lawson will partner Verstappen for the time being, including at the Dutch GP.
The reshuffle also means Japanese driver Yuki Tsunoda has been drafted into the junior team to replace Lawson. Tsunoda or rookie Arvid Lindblad were the other options to be Verstappen’s temporary teammate, but Red Bull opted for Lawson.
Tsunoda actually stepped in for Lawson last time he drove for Red Bull, after the New Zealander only lasted two races before being demoted. He also failed to meet expectations, however, and was subsequently dropped at the end of the 2025 season.
Hadjar’s Expected Return Date
After sitting out at Zandvoort this weekend, Hadjar will have two weeks to recover before the Italian Grand Prix, which will be held in Monza.
It’s been an impressive debut campaign for the 21-year-old, who was promoted after a strong rookie year with Racing Bulls. He’s expected to remain Verstappen’s partner for next season. As it stands, Hadjar is eighth in the drivers’ standings with 11 of 23 scheduled rounds complete. He’s 41 points back from his Dutch colleague in sixth.
He actually achieved his first podium for Red Bull at Zandvoort last year, so it will be a bitter blow to miss out this time around.
This article covers a developing story. Continue to check back with us as we will be adding more information as it becomes available.
Australian tennis star Nick Kyrgios has issued a statement after being banned from tennis following a drug test failure for cocaine earlier this summer.
The 31-year-old provided a sample during an ATP 250 event in Mallorca in June. The following month, a World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA)-accredited laboratory confirmed the presence of benzoylecgonine, a metabolite of cocaine.
Kyrgios took the decision to announce his ban during an extended post on Instagram during which he admitted making a “huge mistake”, telling his fans he wanted them “to hear this from me first.”
The former Wimbledon finalist was provisionally suspended by the International Tennis Integrity Agency on the 4th of August. Judging by the tone of his statement, he does not intend to appeal the decision.
He wrote: “I’m sorry to my fans, my family, my sponsors and everyone close to me. Above all, I’m sorry to the kids who follow me. I know the example this sets and I’m deeply disappointed in myself.”
Nick Kyrgios’ Statement Following Drug Test Failure
This article covers a developing story. Continue to check back with us as we will be adding more information as it becomes available.
Playing in the Premier League is what just about every club in England is striving to do. Reaching the top of the football pyramid is the end game and it’s the reward for hard work and success on the pitch. It’s not easy, though, and keeping hold of a spot in the top flight once you’re there is even harder.
Some teams have been very fortunate, spending the majority of their careers in the top flight, while others have only had a slight taste of what it feels like to be in the promised land. And then there are some teams in the football league right now who have never quite made it to the top. A recent study has revealed just how many seasons each of the 92 clubs in the football league right now has spent in the top flight of English football throughout history.
League Two
Action Images via Reuters/Craig Brough
There are two teams in League Two who have spent a considerable amount of time in the top flight.
Oldham Athletic, who were only recently promoted back into the Football League, and Grimsby Town have both spent 12 years in the first division. Swindon Town and Northampton Town are the only other teams in League Two to have spent anytime in the top flight at all. The Robins took part in just the second ever Premier League campaign, but finished dead last in the table and never returned.
Elsewhere, the likes of Accrington Stanley, Bristol Rovers and Crewe Alexandra have never played in the top flight and considering they’re currently three promotions away from the promised land, it will be a while before any of them rectify that.
How many top flight seasons every League Two club has had
League Two rank
Club
Number of top flight seasons
National rank
1
Oldham Athletic
12
45
2
Grimsby Town
12
47
3
Northampton Town
1
62
4
Swindon Town
1
63
N/A
Accrington Stanley
0
N/A
N/A
Barnet
0
N/A
N/A
Bristol Rovers
0
N/A
N/A
Cheltenham Town
0
N/A
N/A
Chesterfield
0
N/A
N/A
Colchester United
0
N/A
N/A
Crawley Town
0
N/A
N/A
Crewe Alexandra
0
N/A
N/A
Exeter City
0
N/A
N/A
Fleetwood Town
0
N/A
N/A
Gillingham
0
N/A
N/A
Newport County
0
N/A
N/A
Port Vale
0
N/A
N/A
Rochdale
0
N/A
N/A
Rotherham United
0
N/A
N/A
Salford City
0
N/A
N/A
Shrewsbury Town
0
N/A
N/A
Tranmere Rovers
0
N/A
N/A
Walsall
0
N/A
N/A
York City
0
N/A
League One
Action Images via Reuters/Carl Recine
Leicester City, who lifted the Premier League trophy in 2016 but are now in the third tier after suffering back-to-back relegations, have spent 56 years among the big boys. Only Sheffield Wednesday have spent more seasons in England’s top flight (66) than them.
There’s a sizeable gap between the Foxes and the next three teams, with Huddersfield Town, Notts County and Blackpool spending 32 years, 30 years and 28 years respectively in the top flight across their histories.
The 2023/24 campaign saw Luton Town embark on their first ever Premier League season, but it was far from their first rodeo at the top of the pyramid. They’ve actually spent 17 years in the first division.
The only other team in League One with double-digit experience in terms of years in the top flight is Bradford City. The Yorkshire-based side, who were promoted from League Two in 2025, have spent 12 years in the promised land over time. Wigan Athletic (8), Reading (3), Leyton Orient (1) and Barnsley (1) are the only other teams in League One who have ever made it to the top flight.
How many top flight seasons every League One club has had
League One rank
Club
Number of top flight seasons
National rank
1
Sheffield Wednesday
66
16
2
Leicester City
56
24
3
Huddersfield Town
32
31
4
Notts County
30
32
5
Blackpool
28
34
6
Luton Town
17
40
7
Bradford City
12
46
8
Wigan Athletic
8
52
9
Reading
3
56
10
Oxford United
3
57
11
Leyton Orient
1
57
12
Barnsley
1
58
N/A
AFC Wimbledon
0
N/A
N/A
Bromley
0
N/A
N/A
Burton Albion
0
N/A
N/A
Cambridge United
0
N/A
N/A
Doncaster Rovers
0
N/A
N/A
Mansfield Town
0
N/A
N/A
Milton Keynes Dons
0
N/A
N/A
Peterborough United
0
N/A
N/A
Plymouth Argyle
0
N/A
N/A
Stevenage
0
N/A
N/A
Stockport County
0
N/A
N/A
Wycombe Wanderers
0
N/A
Championship
via Reuters
Almost every club in the Championship has made it to the top flight in their history. The only teams to never make it to the big one are Wrexham and Lincoln City. Considering the Welsh side’s meteoric rise up the football pyramid in recent times, though, with three consecutive promotions, it might not be long before they realise that dream.
West Bromwich Albion, Bolton Wanderers and Blackburn Rovers have spent the most time in the top flight of anyone in the second tier. The Baggies have spent the majority of their history in the first division and rank 11th across the whole Football League. Blackburn are one of just two teams to win the Premier League who are no longer in the division. They’ve spent 72 years in the top flight, despite a now 14-year absence.
Wolverhampton Wanderers and West Ham United, who were both relegated from the Premier League in 2025/26, have spent 71 and 68 seasons in England’s top-flight respectively.
Millwall have spent just two seasons in England’s top-flight. They will be looking to make it to the Premier League for the first time after coming so close to promotion last time out.
How many top flight seasons every Championship club has had
Championship rank
Club
Number of top flight seasons
National rank
1
West Bromwich Albion
81
11
2
Bolton Wanderers
73
12
3
Blackburn Rovers
72
13
4
Wolverhampton Wanderers
71
14
5
West Ham United
68
15
6
Derby County
65
17
7
Sheffield United
63
18
8
Stoke City
62
19
9
Burnley
61
21
10
Middlesbrough
61
22
11
Birmingham City
57
23
12
Southampton
47
26
13
Preston North End
46
27
14
Portsmouth
33
29
15
Norwich City
27
36
16
Charlton Athletic
26
37
17
Queens Park Rangers
23
38
18
Cardiff City
17
41
19
Watford
14
43
20
Bristol City
9
50
21
Swansea City
9
51
22
Millwall
2
54
N/A
Wrexham
0
N/A
N/A
Lincoln City
0
N/A
Premier League
REUTERS/Ed Sykes
Surprisingly, none of the traditional big six in the Premier League have actually spent the most seasons in the top flight. That honour goes to Everton. The Toffees have spent just four seasons in their entire history outside the division. It’s an astonishing achievement, but one they have risked ruining in recent years as they came close to dropping to the Championship.
Second, 11 years behind Everton is Aston Villa. The Villans record would look even better if they hadn’t just spent several seasons in the Championship. One campaign behind them is Liverpool, who have won the top flight a record-tying 20 times. The rest of the big six then follows, with Arsenal (110), Manchester United (102), Manchester City (98), Tottenham Hotspur (92) and Chelsea (92) all also ranking in the top 10.
After another highly successful 2025/26 campaign, Bournemouth have solidified themselves as a top flight side. They’re still relatively new to the division, though, and have only spent 10 years within it. The only Premier League club that have spent fewer seasons than them in England’s top flight is Hull City (6).
How many top flight seasons every Premier League club has had
Premier League rank
Club
Number of top flight seasons
National rank
1
Everton
124
1
2
Aston Villa
113
2
3
Liverpool
112
3
4
Arsenal
110
4
5
Manchester United
102
5
6
Manchester City
98
6
7
Newcastle United
95
7
8
Tottenham Hotspur
92
8
9
Chelsea
92
9
10
Sunderland
88
10
11
Nottingham Forest
61
22
12
Leeds United
55
25
13
Coventry City
35
28
14
Fulham
32
31
15
Ipswich Town
28
33
16
Crystal Palace
27
35
17
Brighton & Hove Albion
14
42
18
Brentford
11
48
19
Bournemouth
10
49
20
Hull City
6
53
All statistics courtesy of Soccer Facts and accurate as of 19/08/2026