Connect with us

Politics

INEC clears four political parties for Ondo South Senatorial bye-election

Published

on


The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, has disclosed that only four political parties, comprising the All Progressives Congress, APC, Allied Peoples’ Movement, APM, Action Peoples Party, APP and Boot Party, will participate in the bye-election in Ondo South Senatorial District, which takes place on Saturday, June 20, 2026.

The Commission also revealed that a total of 673,446 registered voters are expected to participate in the by-election across the 1,354 Polling Units and 66 Registration Areas (Wards) in the district.

This disclosure was contained in the keynote address delivered by the INEC Resident Electoral Commissioner for Ondo State, Dr Mutiu Agboke, at the stakeholders’ meeting on the conduct of the Ondo South Senatorial District bye-election held on Tuesday in Okitipupa.

Agboke said the bye-election became necessary following the appointment of former Ondo South Senator, Senator Jimoh Ibrahim, as Nigeria’s Permanent Representative to the United Nations by President Bola Tinubu.

According to him, “the Senate formally declared the seat vacant on April 28, 2026, during plenary and directed INEC to conduct a bye-election in line with constitutional provisions governing legislative vacancies.

“To this end and in compliance with its constitutional mandate under Section 76 of the 1999 Constitution and the Electoral Act 2026, the Independent National Electoral Commission has swiftly moved to fill this legislative vacuum. Hence, the Commission has fixed Saturday, 20th June, 2026 the date for the Ondo South Senatorial District Bye-Election.” 

The REC noted that the election would be conducted alongside other bye-elections in Enugu, Nasarawa, Rivers and Kano States, as well as the Ekiti State governorship election.

Providing details of voter distribution, Agboke said, “Odigbo Local Government Area has the highest number of registered voters with 154,382, followed by Ilaje with 147,209, while Ese-Odo has 84,888 voters.”

He added that a total of 5,416 poll officials would be deployed for the exercise and stated that only voters who registered before the commencement of the ongoing Continuous Voter Registration, CVR, exercise and possess valid Permanent Voter Cards, PVCs, would be eligible to vote, stressing that the existing voter register would be used for the election.

“The Bimodal Voter Accreditation System, BVAS, will be deployed for voter accreditation at all polling units, ensuring the integrity of the accreditation process,” Agboke said.

The REC disclosed that 1,359 BVAS machines had been received, tested and certified for deployment, while an additional 264 backup devices had been set aside to address possible technical challenges on election day. 

He added that sensitive materials were already being stored in INEC’s secure vault in Akure.

On security arrangements, Agboke said INEC had activated the Inter-Agency Consultative Committee on Election Security and was working closely with security agencies to ensure a peaceful process. 

“We shall not allow Ondo South to be a theatre of violence and impunity,” he stated.

He identified the participating political parties and candidates as APC’s Prof. Dayo Faduyilemi, APM’s Adeolu Akinwumi, APP’s Adesanya Olaoluwa and Boot Party’s Nejo Funso Clement. 

Agboke added that campaigns would run from June 10 to June 18 in accordance with the Electoral Act 2026 and urged parties, supporters and stakeholders to conduct themselves peacefully before, during and after the election.




dailypost.ng

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

Osun Election: 20 of our members killed, 30 receiving treatment – Accord

Published

on

By


The Osun State chapter of Accord Party has denied allegations that its members attacked supporters of the All Progressives Congress, APC, after the August 15, 2026 governorship election.

The party, in a statement issued on Tuesday by its state chairman, Pastor Victor Akande, described the allegation as a concoction of lies and propaganda.

📱 Continue reading on the Daily Post app →
Free • No sign-up • Read the full story in the app




dailypost.ng

Continue Reading

Politics

Osun Election: ‘I had no electoral deal’ — Adeleke denies alliance with ADC

Published

on

By


Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, has clarified that he had no electoral agreement or partnership with the African Democratic Congress, ADC, prior to, during, or after the state’s recent governorship election.

The governor spoke in a statement he released on Tuesday.

📱 Continue reading on the Daily Post app →
Free • No sign-up • Read the full story in the app




dailypost.ng

Continue Reading

Politics

Osun Election: Dangote, Akpabio called me to delete my tweet – Davido

Published

on

By


Afrobeats singer, Davido, has claimed that Senate President Godswill Akpabio and business mogul, Aliko Dangote, called him to delete one of his tweets during the just-concluded Osun State governorship election.

Davido made the claim while speaking on News Central Television, days after he mounted pressure on the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, the All Progressives Congress, APC, and the Federal Government over the conduct of the election.

The singer, who openly supported his uncle, Governor Ademola Adeleke, during the election, also alleged that large amounts of money were brought to the state in an attempt to influence the outcome of the poll.

“If you saw the cash these people brought to the election that day, if they had gotten away with that election, Nigeria would have been finished by now because the blueprint of Nigerian election would have been violence and vote buying,” Davido said.

He further claimed that his camp did not spend money on election day, despite what he described as widespread attempts at vote-buying.

“We didn’t spend a dime on the election day. Akpabio and Aliko Dangote called me to delete my tweet,” he said.

Davido also urged his uncle to serve as an example to other governors, saying Governor Adeleke’s victory came despite what he described as overwhelming odds against him.

“My uncle should be an example to other governors. With all odds against us, my uncle still won,” he said.

The singer added that his father, Adedeji Adeleke, also supported the governor throughout the election period.

“Even my dad was praying and fasting seven times a day for my uncle,” he said.

Davido had, during the election, posted a series of tweets on X criticising the APC, INEC and the Federal Government over developments surrounding the poll.

Adeleke, the candidate of the Accord Party, was eventually declared winner of the election by INEC after polling 511,067 votes to defeat the APC candidate, Bola Oyebamiji, who scored 444,815 votes.




dailypost.ng

Continue Reading

Trending