Connect with us

Metro

Abuja: Gunmen kill vigilante, abduct child, three Others in Kubwa

Published

on


Tension has again gripped residents of the Byazhin Across area of Kubwa in the Bwari Area Council of the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, following a fresh kidnapping incident that left a local vigilante member dead and four residents abducted.

DAILY POST gathered that the gunmen stormed the community behind the Catholic Church area around 1:00 a.m. on Thursday , June 4, firing several gunshots as residents panicked for safety.

Sources in the area said the attackers invaded several houses during the operation and abducted four residents, including an 11year old child.

Residents told our correspondent that a local vigilante member who sustained gunshot injuries during the attack was confirmed dead on arrival at the hospital.

According to eyewitnesses, the gunmen also carted away food items from some of the affected homes before fleeing the area.

The latest attack has heightened concerns among residents, who said the community has witnessed repeated security breaches in recent months.

One resident described the situation as alarming, saying the recurring attacks have left many families living in fear.

“This repeated attack on Byazhin Across is causing huge fear in us. Nowhere is safe. President Tinubu, even your FCT is not safe,” the resident said.

Another resident questioned the effectiveness of security measures in the area, alleging that attacks have continued despite patrols by security operatives.

“The Army only patrol and nothing is done. There’s repeated attack. This time the bandits came with a bus. We are not safe,” the resident said.



Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro

Police arraign five over Indian hemp possession in Ekiti

Published

on

By


The Ekiti Police Command on Thursday, arraigned five defendants at an Ado-Ekiti Chief Magistrates’ Court over alleged possession of Indian hemp.

The defendants – Omotoso Opeyemi, 29, Folorunso Emmanuel, 28, Lamidi Alaba, 42, Sanmi Ojo, 38, and Babatunde Abimbola, 26 – are facing a one-count charge of possession of Indian hemp.

The police prosecutor, Insp Elijah Adejare, told the court that the defendants committed the offence on Aug. 12 at about 8.00 a.m. in Ado-Ekiti.

He alleged that the defendants had in their possession weeds suspected to be Indian hemp and illicit drugs.

Adejare said that the offence contravened Section 5(b) of the Indian Hemp Act, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2004.

He urged the court to adjourn the case to enable him study the case file and present his witnesses.

The defendants, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge preferred against them.

Counsel to the defendants, Mr Adedayo Awe, urged the court to grant the defendants bail, with a promise that they would not jump bail.

In her ruling, the Chief Magistrate, Mrs Kehinde Awosika, granted the defendants bail in the sum of N20,000 each, with one surety each in like sum.

Awosika thereafter adjourned the case until October 15 for hearing.



Continue Reading

Metro

40 feared dead as boat carrying farmers capsizes in Sokoto

Published

on

By


About 40 people are feared dead after a boat carrying farmers and labourers to their rice farms capsized in Gorau town, Goronyo Local Government Area of Sokoto State.

The incident occurred when the victims were crossing a stream to access their farms.

Most of those on board were reportedly children aged between 10 and 15 years.

An eyewitness said more than 70 people were on the boat when it capsized shortly after departure.

The village head was also among the passengers but was reportedly rescued.

“So far, we have recovered about 40 bodies, while six people, including the village head, were rescued,” a local journalist who was at the scene, Sharhabilu Yahuza Kiliya, told our reporter.

Kiliya said the victims comprised farm owners and labourers engaged to harvest rice.

According to him, the canoe capsized shortly after taking off, prompting local divers to begin rescue operations.

“Rescue operations are still ongoing, with local divers searching for those still missing and recovering bodies,” he said.

The number of casualties could rise as the search for missing passengers continue.



Continue Reading

Metro

NAPTIP arrests three over alleged sale of babies in Rivers

Published

on

By


The National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) has sealed an illegal maternity facility in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, over the alleged sale of three babies linked to a suspected child trafficking syndicate.

The agency said the operation was carried out by its operatives in collaboration with the Rivers State Ministry of Health, leading to the arrest of the facility’s owner, an alleged facilitator in the transaction and another staff member.

In a statement issued on Thursday, NAPTIP said the facility, located in the Elelenwo area of Port Harcourt, was operating from a residential apartment and was allegedly being used to procure, sell and illegally transfer children.

“Our preliminary investigation showed that a Liberian woman resident in Belgium came into Nigeria without any evidence of pregnancy and allegedly took custody of three children within about one month.

“Investigators also uncovered evidence suggesting that about N13.5 million was paid in connection with the transfer of the three children,” the agency said.

NAPTIP said its officers from Abuja and Rivers State carried out a coordinated raid on the facility and sealed the premises to preserve evidence while investigations continue.

“We have commenced forensic and documentary investigations to establish the identities, whereabouts and welfare of the children, as well as determine their biological and legal parentage,” the agency said.

It added that investigators were also tracing those involved in the procurement and transfer of the children, following the money trail and examining the possible role of medical personnel and other individuals connected to the alleged trafficking network.

Reacting to the development, NAPTIP Director-General, Binta Adamu Bello, expressed concern that foreign nationals were allegedly coming to Nigeria to obtain children through illegal means.

She said the agency had expanded its investigation to identify and arrest everyone linked to the case.

“Anyone found culpable will face due process under the law, and the safety and welfare of the affected children will remain our top priority,” Bello said.



Continue Reading

Trending