Metro
Troops rescue 14 kidnapped victims in Katsina
Troops of Operation Fansan Yamma have rescued 14 people after confronting terrorists who were moving with kidnapped victims in Sabuwa Local Government Area of Katsina State.
The operation took place on Tuesday, August 18, 2026, around Madaci Forest after the troops received information about the terrorists’ movement.
The Media Information Officer for Operation Fansan Yamma, Lieutenant Colonel Aliyu Danja, said the troops quickly moved to the area and engaged the terrorists.
“The troops swiftly mobilised to the area and made contact with the terrorists, engaging them and compelling them to abandon their captives and flee into the surrounding bushes,” Danja said.
He said the troops later searched the area and rescued 14 victims, comprising six males and eight females.
According to him, initial findings showed that the victims had been kidnapped from different locations around Dandume, Bakori and Funtua in Katsina State.
The rescued victims were handed over to the relevant local authorities for further assistance and reunification with their families.
Danja said the rescue demonstrated the determination of the troops to protect residents and prevent terrorists from carrying out criminal activities in the area.
“The Theatre Command reassures the public that troops will continue to sustain pressure on terrorist elements and intensify operations to safeguard communities across the North-West,” he said.
He also urged residents to continue providing security agencies with useful and timely information that could assist ongoing military operations
Metro
Plateau killings: Attackers went from house to house killing our people – Survivors
Survivors of the deadly attack on Bin-Per community in Kombun District of Mangu Local Government Area of Plateau State, where more than 25 people were killed on Tuesday, have narrated how the attackers went from house to house, killing their victims, who were mostly women, children and the elderly.
In a video shared on social media platforms on Thursday, some of the victims explained that the heavily armed militants, numbering more than 100, seemed to know their way around the community.
The victims said the attackers went from house to house, bringing out people whom they slaughtered in cold blood while also setting the houses ablaze.
Here is what some of the victims said in the video:
Shadrach Danladi:
“We had just retired for the night when the attackers invaded our village. There were more than 100 of them, and all of them were carrying sophisticated weapons like AK-47s. It was as if there was a war. I just managed to escape before they started the killings.
“They went from house to house, brought out people who could not escape and killed them in cold blood. After killing the people, they would set the house on fire before moving to the next house. This is one incident that will live with me for the rest of my life.”
Grace Mureng:
“What happened in Bin-Per community of Kombun on Tuesday night is something I will not forget for the rest of my life. I am married to a man from the community, and I have lived there for over 20 years, but I have never seen such violence in all my life.
“The attackers, who spoke the Fulani language, seemed to know exactly where they were going because we heard that they mentioned some names and households they wanted to attack.
“They would enter a house, call the names of the people they wanted, and if the people were not around, they would go in, bring out whoever was inside and kill them. Most of their victims were women, children and elderly people who could not escape in time. Personally, I lost six members of my husband’s family.”
Talatu Solomon:
“I lost my husband, his two brothers and three of their cousins in the attack. They were all inside sleeping when the killers set the house on fire. I was lucky that night because my younger sister was not well, and I had gone to her place in Panyam to tend to her. It’s only God who will console the people.”
Metro
Benue: Police bust vehicle theft gang, recover two motorcycles, car
Operatives of the Benue State Police Command have arrested five suspects allegedly linked to a vehicle theft syndicate operating in Benue and neighbouring states, recovering two Bajaj motorcycles and a Toyota Corolla.
This was confirmed in a statement signed by the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Orchia Peter Aondongu, on behalf of the Commissioner of Police, Benue State Command, on August 18, 2026.
He said the operation followed a petition submitted to the Commissioner of Police by a resident of Gboko, who reported the alleged theft of his red Bajaj motorcycle valued at N1.34 million.
According to the Command, the motorcycle was allegedly obtained from the victim under false pretences after a suspect claimed he wanted to borrow it and promised to return it the following day.
Following the complaint, detectives attached to the Command Monitoring Unit launched an intelligence-led investigation, deploying advanced tracking techniques that eventually led to the arrest of the principal suspect.
Preliminary findings reportedly showed that the suspect was connected to the theft of other motorcycles and a Toyota Corolla, which were allegedly taken to Dan-Anacha in Gassol Local Government Area of Taraba State.
Acting on the information gathered, detectives proceeded to Taraba State, where an accomplice and three other suspects were arrested.
The police said two red Bajaj motorcycles and a Toyota Corolla were recovered during the operation and retained as exhibits.
The Command said efforts were ongoing to apprehend other members of the syndicate who were still at large, establish the full extent of their alleged activities and recover other stolen vehicles.
The Commissioner of Police urged residents to remain vigilant and report suspicious activities or suspected criminal conduct to the Police.
He reaffirmed the Command’s commitment to protecting lives and property and ensuring that those involved in criminal activities were brought to justice.
The police said the investigation into the case was still ongoing and that further updates would be made available to the public.
Metro
NSCDC arrests three in Adamawa over alleged vandalism of 250 NNPC pipes
The Adamawa State Command of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) has arrested three suspects in connection with the transportation of vandalised pipelines belonging to the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL).
The NSCDC Public Relations Officer in the state, DSC Amidu Nyako Baba, who disclosed this in a statement, said the suspects were apprehended by the Commandant’s Special Squad following credible intelligence on the movement of the vandalised pipes.
“They were intercepted at Jereng, Mayo-Belwa Local Government Area of Adamawa State, while conveying 250 pieces of metal pipes, each measuring approximately 8 to 10 feet in length,” the PRO stated.
He explained that the recovered pipes were concealed in bags of cassava in an attempt to disguise their true nature.
“Preliminary investigation indicates that the consignment was loaded at Namnai, Gassol Local Government Area of Taraba State, and was being transported to Kano State,” the NSCDC spokesman stated.
He added that the principal suspect, identified as Adamu Lawan, is currently at large, but efforts are being made to apprehend him.
The three arrested suspects are currently in custody and undergoing further investigation for possible prosecution.
-
Metro2 days agoNDLEA arrests Lagos socialite KC Luxury, seizes cocaine worth N39bn
-
Sports2 days agoNewcastle Discuss Move to Sign Carlos Baleba Ahead of Man Utd
-
Sports1 day agoTottenham Plotting Move for Illia Zabarnyi
-
Sports2 days agoNewcastle Make Lucas Bergvall Prime Target as Little-Known Transfer Rule Emerges
-
Sports2 days agoCharlton Athletic Release Statement as Body Found at Stadium
-
Metro2 days agoSuspected gunmen kill 20, injure others in Plateau
-
Sports2 days agoJamal Musiala Provides Health Update After Collapsing
-
Sports2 days agoAston Villa Table Bid to Sign West Ham Star Aaron Wan-Bissaka
