Connect with us

Metro

Eight okada riders arrested over alleged attack on security operatives in Lagos

Published

on


Eight commercial motorcycle operators, popularly known as Okada riders, have been arrested by operatives of the Lagos State Environmental and Special Offences Enforcement Unit, also known as the Task Force, following an alleged attack on security personnel during an operation in the Apongbon-Marina area.

The suspects were reportedly part of a group of motorcycle operators who resisted the seizure of their motorcycles and allegedly confronted enforcement personnel with dangerous weapons, including broken bottles, machetes and cutlasses.

The incident occurred in Apongbon and adjoining areas while Task Force operatives were enforcing restrictions on motorcycle operations along designated routes.

The agency said some other individuals suspected of involvement in criminal activities were also apprehended during the operation.

The arrested suspects were identified as Buba Umar, 40; Musa Usman, 30; Gambo Dauda, 32; Shagari Bulba, 42; Auwalu Mohammed, 30; Idris Hassan, 25; Wale Yusuf, 43, also known as Babalawo; Ohnosi Osaseti; and Sagiru Asiru.

The Task Force said the suspects were apprehended during a confrontation that reportedly broke out when they attempted to recover motorcycles seized by enforcement officers.

One of the suspects allegedly told investigators that motorcycle operators had been mobilised to resist government efforts to enforce restrictions on Okada operations along prohibited highways.

The agency further said some of those arrested acknowledged that their motorcycles had previously been impounded during enforcement exercises but continued to operate on restricted routes because of the financial returns from the business.

During questioning, Yusuf allegedly disclosed that the group intended to mount stronger resistance against future enforcement operations targeting commercial motorcycles.

The Chairman of the Task Force, CSP Adetayo Akerele said the suspects had been placed under surveillance following repeated complaints concerning alleged attacks on uniformed personnel after enforcement operations in the area.

Akerele said residents, including elderly members of the community, had raised concerns about the activities of some Okada operators and their alleged confrontations with security personnel.

“I received complaints from residents and senior citizens alleging that Okada operators forming an esprit de corps, if allowed unchecked, could pose a serious threat to residents, pedestrians and schoolchildren. I immediately put strategies in place to track them down,” he said.

The Task Force chairman assured that those arrested would face prosecution in accordance with the law, stressing that the action would serve as a deterrent to individuals who resort to violence to frustrate legitimate government enforcement.

Akerele also warned that enforcement against motorcycles operating on restricted routes would continue across Lagos.

He added that efforts were underway to identify and apprehend other suspects who allegedly escaped from the scene during the confrontation.

“I urge members of the public to continue reporting suspicious activities through our official feedback channels for prompt action.

“We will not retreat or surrender in our drive to make the state’s roads free of recalcitrant Okada operators, who are generally seen as a threat to our collective security,” he said.



Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro

Plateau killings: Attackers went from house to house killing our people – Survivors

Published

on

By


Survivors of the deadly attack on Bin-Per community in Kombun District of Mangu Local Government Area of Plateau State, where more than 25 people were killed on Tuesday, have narrated how the attackers went from house to house, killing their victims, who were mostly women, children and the elderly.

In a video shared on social media platforms on Thursday, some of the victims explained that the heavily armed militants, numbering more than 100, seemed to know their way around the community.

The victims said the attackers went from house to house, bringing out people whom they slaughtered in cold blood while also setting the houses ablaze.

Here is what some of the victims said in the video:

Shadrach Danladi:

“We had just retired for the night when the attackers invaded our village. There were more than 100 of them, and all of them were carrying sophisticated weapons like AK-47s. It was as if there was a war. I just managed to escape before they started the killings.

“They went from house to house, brought out people who could not escape and killed them in cold blood. After killing the people, they would set the house on fire before moving to the next house. This is one incident that will live with me for the rest of my life.”

Grace Mureng:

“What happened in Bin-Per community of Kombun on Tuesday night is something I will not forget for the rest of my life. I am married to a man from the community, and I have lived there for over 20 years, but I have never seen such violence in all my life.

“The attackers, who spoke the Fulani language, seemed to know exactly where they were going because we heard that they mentioned some names and households they wanted to attack.

“They would enter a house, call the names of the people they wanted, and if the people were not around, they would go in, bring out whoever was inside and kill them. Most of their victims were women, children and elderly people who could not escape in time. Personally, I lost six members of my husband’s family.”

Talatu Solomon:

“I lost my husband, his two brothers and three of their cousins in the attack. They were all inside sleeping when the killers set the house on fire. I was lucky that night because my younger sister was not well, and I had gone to her place in Panyam to tend to her. It’s only God who will console the people.”



Continue Reading

Metro

Benue: Police bust vehicle theft gang, recover two motorcycles, car

Published

on

By


Operatives of the Benue State Police Command have arrested five suspects allegedly linked to a vehicle theft syndicate operating in Benue and neighbouring states, recovering two Bajaj motorcycles and a Toyota Corolla.

This was confirmed in a statement signed by the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Orchia Peter Aondongu, on behalf of the Commissioner of Police, Benue State Command, on August 18, 2026.

He said the operation followed a petition submitted to the Commissioner of Police by a resident of Gboko, who reported the alleged theft of his red Bajaj motorcycle valued at N1.34 million.

According to the Command, the motorcycle was allegedly obtained from the victim under false pretences after a suspect claimed he wanted to borrow it and promised to return it the following day.

Following the complaint, detectives attached to the Command Monitoring Unit launched an intelligence-led investigation, deploying advanced tracking techniques that eventually led to the arrest of the principal suspect.

Preliminary findings reportedly showed that the suspect was connected to the theft of other motorcycles and a Toyota Corolla, which were allegedly taken to Dan-Anacha in Gassol Local Government Area of Taraba State.

Acting on the information gathered, detectives proceeded to Taraba State, where an accomplice and three other suspects were arrested.

The police said two red Bajaj motorcycles and a Toyota Corolla were recovered during the operation and retained as exhibits.

The Command said efforts were ongoing to apprehend other members of the syndicate who were still at large, establish the full extent of their alleged activities and recover other stolen vehicles.

The Commissioner of Police urged residents to remain vigilant and report suspicious activities or suspected criminal conduct to the Police.

He reaffirmed the Command’s commitment to protecting lives and property and ensuring that those involved in criminal activities were brought to justice.

The police said the investigation into the case was still ongoing and that further updates would be made available to the public.



Continue Reading

Metro

NSCDC arrests three in Adamawa over alleged vandalism of 250 NNPC pipes

Published

on

By


The Adamawa State Command of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) has arrested three suspects in connection with the transportation of vandalised pipelines belonging to the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL).

The NSCDC Public Relations Officer in the state, DSC Amidu Nyako Baba, who disclosed this in a statement, said the suspects were apprehended by the Commandant’s Special Squad following credible intelligence on the movement of the vandalised pipes.

“They were intercepted at Jereng, Mayo-Belwa Local Government Area of Adamawa State, while conveying 250 pieces of metal pipes, each measuring approximately 8 to 10 feet in length,” the PRO stated.

He explained that the recovered pipes were concealed in bags of cassava in an attempt to disguise their true nature.

“Preliminary investigation indicates that the consignment was loaded at Namnai, Gassol Local Government Area of Taraba State, and was being transported to Kano State,” the NSCDC spokesman stated.

He added that the principal suspect, identified as Adamu Lawan, is currently at large, but efforts are being made to apprehend him.

The three arrested suspects are currently in custody and undergoing further investigation for possible prosecution.



Continue Reading

Trending