Connect with us

Politics

Osun election: APC, Accord at war over alleged attacks on members

Published

on


Osun State chapter of the All Progressives Congress, APC, and the ruling Accord Party have exchanged accusations over alleged attacks on their members following Saturday’s governorship election.

The APC alleged that supporters of the Accord Party launched attacks on its members and supporters after Governor Ademola Adeleke was declared the winner of the election by the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC.

Accord, however, rejected the allegation and accused the opposition party of being responsible for attacks on its own members.

In a statement issued on Tuesday, Osun APC Director of Media and Information, Kola Olabisi, condemned what he described as a growing wave of post-election violence allegedly perpetrated by Accord supporters across the state.

Olabisi claimed that incidents of attacks on APC members began shortly after Adeleke was declared the winner of the governorship poll on Sunday.

He also alleged that local government chairmen aligned with the ruling party had moved into various council secretariats despite what he described as their “illegal sit-at-home” status.

The APC spokesperson further alleged that some members of the state executive of the National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW) had used suspected thugs to gain access to motor parks across the state.

The party warned that the alleged attacks could undermine public peace and potentially trigger retaliatory violence if not brought under control.

The APC called on the Osun State Police Command to strengthen security measures and protect its members and supporters from further attacks.

However, Osun State Accord chairman, Victor Akande, dismissed the allegations, insisting that the party was committed to peaceful political engagement.

“Accord is not known for hooliganism,” Akande told journalists when contacted by telephone.

He instead alleged that APC supporters had been behind attacks on Accord members, claiming that the police had also been used to target members of the ruling party before, during and after the election.

According to him, several Accord supporters were allegedly attacked and unlawfully detained.

Akande described the APC’s allegations as propaganda and urged the public to disregard them.

“They are known for their propaganda. They are the ones attacking our members. I didn’t know any of our members attacking their members,” he alleged.

He maintained that Accord was a peace-loving party and attributed Governor Adeleke’s electoral victory to what he described as the overwhelming support of Osun residents.




dailypost.ng

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

‘2027 my last election, Tinubu’s educational certificates forged’ – Atiku claims

Published

on

By


African Democratic Congress, ADC, presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, has declared that the 2027 election will be his last time contesting for the presidency.

Atiku, a former vice president, disclosed this during a Facebook live session.

The former vice president has pursued the presidency of Nigeria for decades, and has secured a ticket for another run in 2027.

His political journey includes serving as vice president from 1999 to 2007 and switching between various political parties.

However, Atiku said: “Whether I win or lose, 2027 will be my last time contesting for the presidency.”

The former vice president also alleged that President Bola Tinubu’s academic certificates are fake.

Atiku maintained that Nigeria’s president should not have questions surrounding his academic qualifications.

“I was the one who raised the issue surrounding President Bola Tinubu’s academic certificates, and I stand by my position that there was forgery.

“It is unacceptable for the President of Nigeria to have such questions surrounding his academic credentials,” he added.




dailypost.ng

Continue Reading

Politics

2027: OK Movement meets Peter Obi, reaffirms commitment to victory

Published

on

By


The National Executive Council of the OK Movement on Wednesday met with the Nigeria Democratic Congress, NDC, presidential candidate, Peter Obi, and reaffirmed its commitment to victory in the 2027 general elections.

Led by its Director-General, Hon. John Ughulu, the movement discussed its mobilisation efforts and its role in the 2027 presidential campaign.

Present at the meeting were key national and zonal leaders, including National Secretary Saadatu Mohammed Sanni, National Director of Administration and HR, Mrs Aisha Aliyu Abdulrahman and National Director of Operations, Hon. Francis Nnodi.

Others were the Director of Mobilisation and Outreach, Rev. Victor Ekam; and zonal coordinators Chris Elijah (South-South), Adefolaseye Adebayo (South-West), and Alhaji Sulaiman Abubakar (North-Central).

The National Exco and zonal coordinators reaffirmed their commitment to the Obi-Kwankwaso ticket and pledged to intensify grassroots mobilisation, coordination, and voter engagement across the country ahead of the 2027 elections.

They also expressed their determination to work tirelessly towards securing victory for Peter Obi and his running mate under the platform of the NDC.

“The mission is clear. The commitment is unwavering. NDC all the way,” they said.

DAILY POST reports that the OK Movement comprises supporters of Peter Obi and his running mate, Rabi’u Kwankwaso.




dailypost.ng

Continue Reading

Politics

2027: Vote for competence, not religion – Sheikh Daurawa counters Jingir

Published

on

By


A prominent Islamic scholar, Sheikh Aminu Ibrahim Daurawa, has urged Nigerians not to make elections a religious issue, saying voters should focus on electing leaders who can deliver good governance.

Daurawa made the remarks on Wednesday during an interview with DW, monitored by DAILY POST, while reacting to prominent Islamic cleric Sheikh Sani Jingir’s comments expressing support for the Muslim-Muslim presidential ticket ahead of the 2027 general elections.

According to him, politics should be about competence and service rather than the religious identity of candidates.

“It shouldn’t be about religion but who is going to work, what is the person capable of doing, and what has he done?” he said.

The cleric argued that Nigeria’s democratic system is not based on religion and that the country’s Constitution does not recognise any political party as either Islamic or Christian.

“Is there any party registered by INEC as an Islamic party or a Christian party or has any religious manifesto?” he said.

Daurawa said Nigerians should be free to vote for any candidate, whether the ticket is Muslim-Muslim, Christian-Christian, Christian-Muslim or Muslim-Christian.

He added that no one should insult or attack others because of the religious composition of a political ticket.

“Nigerians have sense. They should judge candidates by what they will do and what they have done, not by religion,” he said.

The scholar called on young people to reject drug abuse, stay away from violence and weapons, and participate peacefully in the electoral process.




dailypost.ng

Continue Reading

Trending