Politics
2027: INEC has no candidate, favours no party –Prof Amupitan
The Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, Professor Josiah Amupitan, has assured political parties and Nigerians that the commission will remain neutral in the 2027 elections.
Amupitan gave the assurance on Tuesday at the National Peace Accord ahead of the 2027 presidential election.
“INEC has no interest in who wins or loses any election. The commission does not have a candidate, nor does it favour any political platform,” Amupitan said.
The INEC chairman also urged political parties and candidates to focus on issues during the 2027 campaign rather than turning the election into a contest of violence and personal attacks.
“Let the 2027 election campaign be a marketplace of ideas, not a theatre of war,” he said.
Amupitan said Nigerians were more interested in practical solutions to their challenges and urged political actors to present clear and measurable programmes.
“Nigerians do not want insults; they want solutions. They deserve to hear clear, concrete, and measurable manifestos,” he said.
He also assured Nigerians that the commission was building on previous preparations to deliver a credible election in 2027.
Amupitan said INEC’s preparations were progressing, adding that the commission was expanding its logistics to handle the large number of personnel required for the nationwide exercise.
“I am pleased to report that our preparations for the 2027 elections are progressing with absolute precision. We are scaling our operational logistics to manage a massive nationwide ad hoc workforce of 1.4 million personnel across over 176,000 polling units,” he said.
dailypost.ng
Politics
‘I’m Obidient’ – Heavy blow on APC as Onjeh dumps Tinubu, Alia, meets Kwankwaso [VIDEO]
Ahead of the 2027 general elections, an All Progressives Congress, APC, aspirant for the Benue South Senatorial District, Daniel Onjeh, has withdrawn his support for President Bola Tinubu and Benue State Governor Hyacinth Alia.
Onjeh announced his decision on Thursday while sharing footage of his recent meeting with the vice-presidential candidate of the Nigerian Democratic Congress, NDC, Rabiu Kwankwaso.
The former President of the National Association of Nigerian Students, NANS, also declared his support for the NDC presidential candidate, Peter Obi, stating that he is “humbly Obidient”.
In a post accompanying the footage, Onjeh said his principles had been misunderstood by the APC leaders, adding that he had now embraced the Obidient movement.
He wrote, “They misconstrued my principles as stubbornness. Now, I’m humbly Obidient. You go where you’re valued.”
Although Onjeh did not disclose the reason for his decision, the development may not be unconnected to his failure to secure the APC senatorial ticket ahead of the January election.
Onjeh had been a strong supporter of President Tinubu and Governor Alia before the APC primary election held in May 2026.
dailypost.ng
Politics
PDP demands prosecution of Imo council boss over alleged inciting remarks against opposition
The Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, in Imo State has called for the prosecution of Orlu LGA Chairman, Chris Mbarie, over what it described as inciting remarks against opposition members in the state, alleging that APC ‘s act of intimidating opposition parties and the electorate will no longer be tolerated.
The party, in a press statement issued by its spokesperson, Lancelot Obiaku, condemned the alleged remarks attributed to the Council boss, who was accused of saying that opposition political parties would not be allowed to operate freely in Orlu LGA ahead of the 2027 general elections.
According to Obiaku, a video of the statement was circulated on social media even as he pointed out that the language used by the Council Chairman is not only disturbing but borders on political intimidation and incitement.
The PDP spokesperson asserted that the remarks have raised serious concerns about public safety, electoral freedom and the integrity of the democratic process.
“The party therefore calls on the Nigeria Police Force and the Department of State Services, DSS, to immediately investigate the statement, its context and the intention behind it, and where the investigation establishes criminal culpability, arrest should be made, and prosecution should be followed in accordance with the law,” he said.
Obiaku averred that it is unacceptable for a public official to suggest that any part of the state can be declared a political no-go area for opposition parties, pointing out that Council Areas belong to the people and not to the APC or any political office holder.
The party maintained that no Chairman, Governor or political party has the constitutional authority to prevent citizens from freely associating, assembling, campaigning or supporting the political party of their choice.
“More importantly, any statement suggesting an intention to intimidate opposition parties or interfere with their activities ahead of an election must be treated with the seriousness it deserves. The security agencies must not wait until threats translate into violence before acting.
“Furthermore, Imo PDP notes that this is not the first time the APC is employing the antics of intimidation of voters in an election, as in the last governorship election in the state, the party went as far as brazenly using town criers in many communities to announce that anyone not voting for APC should not bother being at the polling unit. What a crime. It shall no longer stand,” the release added.
The party also warned that opposition parties in the state, especially the PDP, will not allow any individual or group within the ruling party to intimidate voters, suppress them or attempt to compromise the electoral process.
The PDP insisted that the era of political intimidation and impunity must end, saying that it will no longer be business as usual in Imo State.
Obiaku hinted that the PDP is out to defend the constitutional rights of its members and supporters to participate freely in the political process.
“We will document threats, report violations and pursue every lawful avenue to protect the people’s votes and democratic rights.
“We therefore call on INEC, civil society organisations, the media, election observers and the international community to take note of this disturbing development and closely monitor political activities in Orlu and other parts of the state ahead of the 2027 elections.
“If the APC and its officials truly enjoy the confidence of the people, they should go to the polls and earn their votes. Elections must be decided by the people, not by threats, intimidation or violence. But we are quite aware that the APC in Imo stands no chance at any election without electoral crimes,” the release further stated.
dailypost.ng
Politics
INEC announces date for Sakwa, Disina bye-elections in Bauchi
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has announced September 19, 2026, as the date for bye-elections to fill two vacant seats in the Bauchi State House of Assembly.
The polls will be held in Sakwa State Constituency, Zaki Local Government Area, and Disina State Constituency, Shira LGA.
The Bauchi State Resident Electoral Commissioner, Umar Ibrahim, announced the date on Wednesday at a meeting of the Inter-Agency Consultative Committee on Electoral Security in Bauchi.
He said the commission would issue the notice of election on August 20, ahead of political party primaries scheduled for August 21 to 25.
Ibrahim said the submission of nomination forms would open online on August 29 and end at 11:59 p.m. on September 2. The final list of candidates is expected to be published on September 8.
He added that parties had until September 10 to submit the names of their polling agents, while campaigns would close by midnight on September 17.
The REC disclosed that Sakwa Constituency has 100 polling units spread across five wards, while Disina has 95 polling units across five wards.
He called on political parties and candidates to adhere to the electoral guidelines and avoid actions capable of disrupting the exercise.
The Bauchi State Commissioner of Police, Sani-Omolori Aliyu, who co-chaired the meeting, assured stakeholders that the command would remain neutral and professional throughout the electoral process.
Aliyu asked political parties to provide their campaign schedules ahead of time to enable the police to make appropriate security arrangements.
DAILY POST recalls that the Sakwa seat became vacant following the death of its occupant, Wanzam Zaki, who also chaired the House Committee on Budget and Appropriation. He died on June 21, 2026.
In Disina, the vacancy followed the resignation of Saleh Hodi, the former representative of the constituency and Majority Leader of the House, to contest the Shira Local Government chairmanship election.
dailypost.ng
-
Metro2 days agoNDLEA arrests Lagos socialite KC Luxury, seizes cocaine worth N39bn
-
Sports1 day agoTottenham Plotting Move for Illia Zabarnyi
-
Sports2 days agoCharlton Athletic Release Statement as Body Found at Stadium
-
Sports2 days agoNewcastle Discuss Move to Sign Carlos Baleba Ahead of Man Utd
-
Sports2 days agoAston Villa Table Bid to Sign West Ham Star Aaron Wan-Bissaka
-
Sports2 days agoNewcastle Make Lucas Bergvall Prime Target as Little-Known Transfer Rule Emerges
-
Sports2 days agoTottenham Suffer New Savinho Transfer Blow After Jeremy Doku Injury
-
Sports1 day agoEx-Fantasy Premier League Champion Reveals Starting Squad For Gameweek 1
