Sports
Arsenal Make Call to Sign Pubill Before Completing Konsa Deal
Arsenal made contact with Atletico Madrid about a deal to sign Marc Pubill before completing a move for Ezri Konsa, Fabrizio Romano has told GIVEMESPORT’s Market Madness podcast.
The Gunners reached an agreement with Aston Villa on a deal worth £51m plus add-ons to sign England international Konsa on Wednesday afternoon, with the 28-year-old defender due to undergo a medical on Thursday before putting pen to paper on a long-term contract at the Emirates Stadium.
He will join Christos Tzolis, Illan Meslier, and Bruno Guimaraes as fellow signings in this window, as Mikel Arteta looks to defend the Premier League title they won last season.
But while a deal for Konsa is now on the brink of completion ahead of the new league season, Romano has revealed that the club have been looking at a number of options throughout the transfer window, including Spain and Atletico Madrid defender Pubill.
“I think, also, Arsenal are going to be busy, as you say,” he said.
“The Konsa [deal] is done. It’s verbally agreed for £50m plus add-ons, so everything is okay. He will have his medical in the next 48 hours, and then [it] will be official. So finally, the new defender.
“They also called Atletico Madrid in recent days for Marc Pubill, but the player was not for sale, and so Arsenal closed the deal for Konsa.”
Pubill moved to the Wanda Metropolitano Stadium last summer and became a regular under Diego Simeone, featuring 36 times in La Liga, earning himself a call-up to the Spain World Cup squad as they lifted the trophy for the second time.
His performances over the season have earned him the adoration of Simeone, and it’s very clear that they had zero intention of letting him leave before the deadline, which allowed Arsenal to make their move for Konsa more concrete.
|
Marc Pubill La Liga Stats 25/26 |
|
|---|---|
|
Appearances |
15(4) |
|
Minutes |
1383 |
|
Tackles (per 90) |
1.3 |
|
Interceptions (per 90) |
1.1 |
|
Clearances (per 90) |
4.5 |
|
Blocks (per 90) |
0.8 |
|
Statistics courtesy of WhoScored. |
|
Simeone Feels Pubill Can Be CB or RB
Part of the reason behind Konsa being Arsenal’s top defensive target in this window as the fact that he has great versatility, and is capable of playing at both right-back and centre-back to a high level.
The same can be said of Pubill, too, and Simeone has sung his praises in public previously about the potential that he has in the centre.
“He’s remained patient, continued working in that position where we’ve spent countless mornings trying to improve, because he knew we’d need him there. I hope he doesn’t buy the newspapers or listen to the radio,” he said.
“We worked on what I thought he could contribute from the right center-back position. Josema’s injury allowed him to train there in the summer. He hadn’t had opportunities because Le Normand was there, but he waited with humility and dedication, knowing that his qualities are important, and football rewards.
“He has speed, strength, aggression, aerial ability, good with his feet, and the ability to press with his back to goal.”
Sports
English Athletics Coach Jailed For Sexually Assaulting a Minor
An English athletics coach and former gold medalist who was thought to be missing is reportedly in prison after sexually assaulting a minor.
Three months ago, Leon Baptiste vanished, and UK Athletics and the sprinters he had been coaching had lost contact with him. This came after he sent a group of athletes a short message saying he wouldn’t be training them ‘for a while,’ and there had been no further communication since.
A brief email was sent to those individuals on behalf of Baptiste on Tuesday informing them that he had resigned from his position due to an unspecified health issue. This came after the media reported he was ‘missing’ and had disappeared in Morocco.
Leon Baptiste Jailed in Morocco as Details Emerge
An update on Baptiste has since emerged, and BBC Sport have revealed that the consultant sprinting coach is serving jail time in Morocco. They claim that a source at the Moroccan Ministry of Justice has confirmed that he was arrested in Marrakech back in May.
Baptiste was convicted and has been serving a custodial sentence in Al-Oudaya prison. He was originally sentenced to 10 months, but this was later reduced to eight months on appeal.
The source is quoted as saying: “In relation to the reports concerning the alleged ‘disappearance of Leon Baptiste’ – an English athletics coach reportedly missing in Morocco for more than two months under questionable circumstances – please note that the information published in this regard is inaccurate and does not reflect the facts of the case.”
“The foreign national concerned had not lost contact with his surroundings and was not subject to any disappearance or unexplained absence. He is currently being held at the local prison in Marrakech, where he is serving a custodial sentence following his conviction by the competent judicial authorities in connection with a misdemeanour case.”
In response to concerns over his health following his email, they claimed that the 41-year-old is “in good health.” Delving further into the reasoning behind his arrest and prison sentence, a spokesperson for the Morocco Public Prosecution Office explained:
“The British national is currently being held at the local prison in Marrakech, where he is serving a custodial sentence following a court judgment against him in connection with his involvement in a criminal case.”
In Morocco, misdemeanors are classified as medium-level offenses and carry sentences of around one to five years. A minor is deemed to be 18 in the northwest African country in which Baptiste is alleged to have carried out his crime.
At the height of his career, Baptiste won two gold medals at the Commonwealth Games in Delhi. Olympian Beth Dobbin is among the list of sprinters he has coached since retiring at the age of 28 due to a long-term knee injury.
UK Foreign Office on Baptiste Imprisonment
The UK Foreign Office have since responded to the confirmation of Baptiste’s whereabouts and a spokesperson has stated: “We are supporting a British national who is detained in Morocco and are in contact with the authorities.”
Baptiste is believed to have traveled to Maarkech with three former British athletes, and they have since returned to the UK. None of them have replied to the BBC for comment on the situation while his family are aware of his imprisonment.
Olympic bronze medalist Charlie Dobson and Paralympic silver medalist Zac Shaw were left without a designated coach before the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow earlier this summer and the European Championships in Birmingham, which concluded just three days ago.
Baptiste had been coaching the pair, but his absence meant that Adam Gemili and Martyn Rooney provided support to the affected athletes. His abrupt departure caused huge disruption for sprinters, with many ‘ill-prepared’ and ‘frustrated.’
BBC Sport claims that after speaking with individuals from British athletics, Baptiste’s confidants, the UK Foreign Office, and Moroccan authorities, they learned his whereabouts were known but being withheld. It was when they spoke to the Moroccan Public Prosecution Office that they were given details of the case.
Sports
How Carlos Baleba Slots Into Unstoppable Man Utd XI This Season
Manchester United manager Michael Carrick is set to be handed a luxury problem next season when picking his starting XI at Old Trafford.
The Red Devils were handed the unenviable task of replacing Brazilian superstar Casemiro this summer and have not held back when it comes to investing to beef up midfield options for a 2026/27 campaign that will include Champions League football.
Man Utd set about business early with around £85 million spent on Chelsea star Andrey Santos and Aston Villa man Youri Tielemans. It was no secret that transfer chiefs in the North West wanted a third addition and that is set to come in sought-after Brighton youngster Carlos Baleba.
United are said to be closing in on an agreement with the Seagulls after a verbal £65m offer, and this is how Baleba would slot into the ultimate Man Utd starting XI this season.
Man Utd ultimate starting XI after Carlos Baleba transfer
Senne Lammens has made the starting spot between the sticks his own at Old Trafford. Karl Darlow has arrived from Leeds United and will add competition, but the Belgian will be confident that he can keep the newcomer’s outings limited.
Michael Carrick is set to start the season without the services of Matthijs De Ligt, who has been sidelined since November with a serious back injury. The defender is back on the grass and, when fit again, he partners Harry Maguire at the heart of defence.
Diogo Dalot was consistent at right back last season and Carrick’s next big headache is set to come at left-back. There are question marks over Luke Shaw with links to a new addition – Lewis Hall at Newcastle United heavily rumoured to be a target this summer.
Carrick has a surplus of talent in defensive midfield with the Red Devils going above and beyond to replace the influence lost through the departure of Casemiro. Of the three new arrivals, former Aston Villa man Youri Tielemans has the most experience and looks a shoo-in given the impact he can have all over the pitch.
That’s set to leave Andrey Santos and Baleba squabbling over the other role, although there are enough games across the campaign for both to see plenty of game time. Carrick is clearly a big fan of Baleba and the fact they have offered £65m would hint at a starting berth.
Fees correct prior to summer 2026
All 10 found — excellent!
Man Utd have had to do little editing of their attacking options this summer. Bruno Fernandes continues to get better and better, while Bryan Mbeumo and Matheus Cunha were both potent over the back end of last season.
The former Brentford man is likely to start the season up top as Benjamin Sesko completes his recovery from a shin injury picked up against Liverpool in May.
Goalkeeper: Senne Lammens
Defenders: Diogo Dalot, Harry Maguire, Matthijs De Ligt, Luke Shaw
Midfielders: Youri Tielemans, Carlos Baleba, Bruno Fernandes
Attackers: Bryan Mbeumo, Benjamin Sesko, Matheus Cunha
Sports
Marcus Rashford Thanks Jamie Carragher Amid Gary Neville’s Comments
Marcus Rashford has sent a message to his critics with a response to Jamie Carragher as he looks to get his Manchester United career back on track.
The English forward spent last season on loan at Barcelona, winning the La Liga title with the Catalans and impressing under Hansi Flick. His tally of 14 goals and 15 assists in 49 games wasn’t enough to secure a permanent move to Camp Nou, though, as the Spanish giants opted not to trigger a £26 million buy option.
United’s stance appeared to be that there was no future for Rashford at Old Trafford after an unceremonious departure back in the winter of 2024. He headed to Aston Villa on loan for the second half of that campaign after falling out with former head coach Ruben Amorim.
‘Stop it’ Carragher Hits Out at Neville Over Rashford
Rashford has been given a second chance by Michael Carrick who replaced Amorim in January and knows the player well. They were teammates in the latter stages of the United boss’ playing career and he coached him as an assistant to Jose Mourinho and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.
Carrick’s appointment caused a U-turn and Rashford is now back ready for a new Premier League campaign with his boyhood club. That hasn’t stopped the media, pundits and fans from debating whether it’s the right move from both the player and the club to make amends.
Gary Neville brought Rashford’s name up during the latest episode of The Overlap’s Stick to Football. The former United captain asked his colleagues what they made of his return, but this riled up Carragher, who wasn’t interested in discussing it:
“Can we do a podcast without mentioning Rashford?”
After Neville responded, ‘No’ Carragher told him to ‘stop it’ and pointed out that each episode of their podcast seemed to include a segment on Rashford or Trent Alexander-Arnold. The English right-back made a controversial move from Liverpool to Real Madrid last summer.
Their exchange continued when Neville highlighted that Rashford had just returned to United. Carragher said:
‘So what? Oh my god, he’s just a good player for Man United.”
Rashford has been a hot topic of discussion in football media throughout the years especially when he clashed with Carrick’s predecessor Amorim. His star power has led to constant scrutiny including within the United fanbase as some have reservations over his reunion with the Red Devils.
Rashford Responds to Carragher and Neville’s Argument
Carragher’s defence of Rashford didn’t go unnoticed by the United star who thanked the former Liverpool defender for not wanting to delve into the situation regarding his return. He posted a telling message on X:
“Thanks, Jamie. It would be great to be able to get my head down and play football without my name being mentioned every day.”
Rashford broke through United’s youth system before debuting at the age of 18 with a brace against Midtjylland in the UEFA Europa League in February 2016. He has since appeared 426 times for the club, scoring 138 goals and winning the Europa League, FA Cup and Carabao Cup.
Carrick is delighted to have the England international back and in his squad for the new season and is thought to have played an important role in his return. He will be competing with Matheus Cunha at left-wing while could provide backup to Benjamin Sesko up front.
-
Metro1 day agoNDLEA arrests Lagos socialite KC Luxury, seizes cocaine worth N39bn
-
Metro1 day agoSuspected gunmen kill 20, injure others in Plateau
-
Sports1 day agoNewcastle Discuss Move to Sign Carlos Baleba Ahead of Man Utd
-
Sports1 day agoBruno Fernandes To Stay At Man Utd Despite €20m-A-Year Galatasaray Offer
-
Sports1 day agoNewcastle Make Lucas Bergvall Prime Target as Little-Known Transfer Rule Emerges
-
Metro2 days agoBauchi police arrest two suspected thugs, rescue three victims in Ningi
-
Sports15 hours agoTottenham Plotting Move for Illia Zabarnyi
-
Metro1 day agoPolice nab two ‘one chance’ suspects in Abeokuta, foil robbery attempt
