Connect with us

Sports

Tottenham Must Complete Transfer For ‘Strongest Player In A Generation’

Published

on


Tottenham appear to be in the market for good quality, sensible free transfers this summer.

Deals are agreed in principle for Andy Robertson and Marcos Senesi to arrive at the club, following the end of their contracts at Liverpool and Bournemouth respectively.

Spurs have also been linked with moves to sign John Stones, following his release from Manchester City, and Harry Wilson, who is leaving Fulham at the end of his contract at Craven Cottage.

All four, should Tottenham complete deals, would be impressive deals for Roberto De Zerbi and would give him the strength in depth he is looking for in his Spurs team ahead of the 2026/27 campaign.

Free transfers would allow Spurs to spend in other areas of the pitch

Dusan Vlahovic in action for Juventus

Even if it is only the first two, or three of the four that come in, it would represent good business from a club that has so often been derided for its work in the transfer market in recent seasons.

Signing players out of contract would allow Tottenham to spend big on other players, spreading the overall cost of improving the squad in the summer transfer window somewhat.

And there is another free transfer that Spurs should definitely be looking at – Dusan Vlahovic – and it appears as though they are after reports they are in talks with the Serbian’s representatives.

It was revealed on Wednesday that there would be no agreement between the ‘world-class’ striker and Juventus over a new deal to remain at the Allianz Stadium, meaning he is out of contract this summer.

Tottenham are likely to be in the market for a new No.9 this summer, with question marks over the futures of both Richarlison – who was Spurs’ top scorer in the 2025/26 season – and Dominic Solanke.

GIVEMESPORT senior football correspondent Ben Jacobs said last month: “Richarlison has had an excellent season, but is drawing interest from Saudi Arabia, and Dom Solanke even has some formative interest too, and regardless of what happens with either of them, I expect Tottenham to attack the market for a No.9, and a new winger is possible too.”

Vlahovic has spent the last four-and-a-half seasons with Juve, after signing in a £66.6million deal from Fiorentina in the January transfer window of the 2021/22 season.

World Cup History Quiz

You scored

out of 20

The big Serbian is only 26 years old and entering his prime as a striker and his profile would surely fit the Premier League. Upon signing for Juventus, a BBC analysis described him as being “strong in the air, skilful on the ground”.

Former Juventus boss Massimiliano Allegri said after signing him: “He is a young boy, with little international experience, who however has quality, wants and can improve, and has plenty of time to do it. He has an absolute nastiness. Juventus made an important purchase. In the world, he, Kylian Mbappé, and Erling Haaland are the strongest of their generation.”

High praise indeed from someone who has been around the football block.

Vlahovic has the stats to back up his price tag if you dive deep enough

Dusan Vlahovic in action for Juventus

On the face of it, Vlahovic’s numbers do not stand out as exceptional. He notched 10 goals this season and provided a further two assists. But delve a little deeper and you find that these goals and assists came from just 23 appearances, so he averaged a goal contribution better than every other game.

Delve even deeper and you see that he only played 1,162 minutes of football. That means he actually averaged a goal contribution very 96.8 minutes on the pitch – not bad at all.

It was a reasonably similar story last season when he netted 17 goals and gave five assists to teammates in 44 matches. He was on the pitch for 2,696 minutes that season, meaning he averaged a goal contribution every 122.5 minutes on the pitch.

He has had his injuries and he has had his problems at Juventus, but when he plays, he has an impact where you want him to most.

Tottenham need a striker and while he may not be one that you can rely on to play every single game, a profile of his in squad rotation could be perfect for De Zerbi and on a free transfer, it’s a no-brainer.


Manchester City's Savinho at a press conference


Savinho, Van Hecke, Scott, Hackney – Tottenham Summer Transfer Plans Analysed

Spurs will be busy in the summer transfer window

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Celtic ‘Explore’ Move For Southampton Goalkeeper Gavin Bazunu

Published

on

By


Celtic are set to accelerate their quest for another goalkeeper this summer as the transfer window edges towards a close.

The Hoops are reported to be exploring a move for Southampton shot-stopper Gavin Bazunu this week, with a £4 million deal also said to have been agreed with a different Championship target.

Martin O’Neill is in the market for competition to push current first choice Viljami Sinisalo, who is without a serious rival for his place following the departure of Kasper Schmeichel this summer.

The Finland international has done a respectable job since replacing Schmeichel between the sticks at the end of last season and the rise of the 24-year-old has led to speculation that Celtic could calm their search for another experienced goalkeeper.

Celtic ‘explore’ move for Southampton goalkeeper

Southampton goalkeeper Gavin Bazunu shouts

However, that does not seem to be the case, with several goalkeeping targets emerging this week. In a latest roundup of transfer ongoings at Southampton, the Daily Echo claims that Celtic are ‘exploring’ a move for Bazunu, who is expected to leave St Mary’s Stadium. Croatian champions Dinamo Zagreb are also linked and could provide competition for the Glasgow giants.

Bazunu was first choice for Southampton over the first half of the 2025/26 campaign but lost his place to Daniel Peretz in January. Bazunu was then sent on loan to Stoke City, but managed just six appearances due to a persistent thigh injury.

The 6ft 2in Republic of Ireland international is still just 24 years old, with his best years as a goalkeeper ahead of him. Bazunu has not yet featured in a matchday squad for Southampton this season, Tonda Eckert persisting with Peretz and back-up George Long.

Celtic have also been credited with serious interest in Blackburn Rovers goalkeeper Balazs Toth. Similarly to Bazunu, the Rovers man’s departure from his club appears inevitable before the close of the window.

The Hungary international is in the final 12 months of his contract and Tony Mowbray has opened the door for him to join a ‘Champions League club’, amid links with Celtic. Reports from Hungary this week have claimed that the Hoops have agreed a £4 million fee with Blackburn Rovers for the deal.

Either arrival will have to oust Sinisalo from the starting XI, but that is a competition that O’Neill will relish. Speaking about the goalkeeper’s rise to first team star in March, the Celtic boss said: “I have been pleasantly surprised. It’s nice to see him try to take this chance in difficult circumstances for a goalkeeper regardless of what happens, with the shadow of what’s going on in the background.

“He’s been wanting to do well and he’s been thrown into some big games. Apparently he did well at Ibrox last season too.

“I’ve been really pleased with him, really pleased. That [being No 1 next season] may be a decision for someone else to make, but I’m really delighted with him.”

Sinisalo has started all three of Celtic’s fixtures so far this season, conceding just one goal and managing two clean sheets.

Transfer Verdict: Gavin Bazunu v BalazsToth

Celtic manager Martin O'Neill waves to the crowd Action Images via Reuters/Andrew Boyers

If Celtic are to add another goalkeeper to the squad before the end of the transfer window, it appears that their shopping will be taken to the Championship. Both Bazunu and Toth offer O’Neill very similar profiles.

At 24 years old, Bazunu would offer the Hoops a younger option compared to 28-year-old Toth. Both have similar levels of playing experience, although the latter’s 111 appearances in Hungary come at a lower level than the Southampton man, who has tasted the Premier League.

Fees correct prior to summer 2026

All 10 found — excellent!

Both deals look easy to pull off for Celtic. Bazunu is surplus to requirements at St Mary’s Stadium and Mowbray appears ready to drive Toth to a new destination himself.

The verdict? If both offer ultimately the same product, Celtic must opt for the younger of the two in Bazunu, who has the potential to cement himself in the starting XI for seasons to come.

Continue Reading

Sports

Liverpool Agree Deal To Sell Curtis Jones To Inter Milan

Published

on

By



Inter Milan have reached an agreement to sign Liverpool midfielder Curtis Jones for €35million (£30million), according to Fabrizio Romano.

Jones spent last season on the periphery of Arne Slot’s squad at Anfield, starting just 18 Premier League games for the Dutch manager. This has prompted the player and his representatives to explore potential moves, and Inter have subsequently emerged as the team to pry him away from his boyhood club.

A verbal agreement has been reached between the two clubs, although a consensus on personal terms is yet to be reached.

However, the deal is expected to materialise, with a medical for the player being planned.

Jones will leave Liverpool having made 228 appearances for the Merseysiders, winning two Premier League titles in the process.

More to follow…

Continue Reading

Sports

Tottenham Tell Liverpool ‘Bid is Coming’ for Cody Gakpo

Published

on

By


Tottenham Hotspur have told Liverpool that they will bid for Cody Gakpo once the Merseyside outfit finalises a move for Bradley Barcola.

It’s set to be a busy end to the transfer window at Anfield. The Reds have already recruited Jeremy Jacquet and Victor Munoz but Andoni Iraola is yet to add an experienced forward to his front line following the departure of Mohamed Salah.

All signs point towards that being Paris Saint-Germain star Barcola, who has refused to sign a new deal at the Parc des Princes and subsequently been left out of the matchday squad by Luis Enrique. The Frenchman’s arrival at Liverpool could trigger the sale of Gakpo.

Tottenham Hotspur prepare £70m Liverpool bid

cody gakpo

Dutch journalist Joost Blaauwhof has provided the latest on Gakpo’s future when speaking to The Redmen TV. The reporter claims that discussions about the player are already underway behind the scenes between Liverpool and Tottenham.

The things that I’ve heard around the player and Tottenham Hotspur is that he’s open to the move. Liverpool is one of the biggest clubs in the world, so he’s not desperate to leave, but when they come over and make him a star player and all the things are set up… I think it could be a very quick transfer.

“Spurs have already announced to Liverpool that they are coming in with a bid when Barcola or another striker is coming in [to Anfield].

“They already know what Liverpool are demanding, around £70million. With Barcola already coming in – and Barcola is not coming for the bench, he’s coming to play on the left wing.”

Gakpo made 52 appearances across all competitions last season under Arne Slot, and managed just nine goals and six assists across those outings. Those 15 goal contributions were a fall from the 25 the winger hit over the 2024/25 campaign.

Cody Gakpo goal contributions at Liverpool:

Goals

Assists

Goal Contributions

2022/23

7

3

10

2023/24

16

7

23

2024/25

18

7

25

2025/26

9

6

15

The £250,000-a-week forward enjoyed an impressive World Cup with three goals and an assist for the Netherlands, but faces serious competition on the left flank should Barcola arrive at Liverpool. Iraola also has rising star Munoz competing for a place, following his £34.5 million move from Osasuna.

Those arrivals are believed to have led to Gakpo believing his long-term future is not at Liverpool and, while he will not press the club for an exit this summer, the chance to be a starting XI shoo-in under Roberto De Zerbi is a tempting prospect.

Fees correct prior to summer 2026

All 10 found — excellent!

It would be another marquee addition for Tottenham, who have already spent considerably over £200 million on Sandro Tonali, Mateus Fernandes and Jan Paul van Hecke this summer.

Spurs spent significant sums on Mohammed Kudus, Xavi Simons and Mathys Tel last summer but the trio of forwards failed to impress as the North London side flirted with relegation under Thomas Frank.

Gakpo only signed a new deal with Liverpool last year and is under contract at Anfield until 2030. The Reds paid around £40 million to sign the player from PSV Eindhoven in January 2023.

Continue Reading

Trending