Metro
One dead, one missing as three-storey building collapses in Lagos
One person has been confirmed dead while another remains missing after a three-storey building under construction partially collapsed in Lekki Phase 1 area of Lagos State.
The Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, LASEMA, disclosed in a statement issued by its Head of Public Affairs, Afolabi Olawale that the incident occurred at about 12:19 pm on Friday at No. 1 Josephine Fingesi Street, off Wole Olateju Street, Lekki Phase 1.
According to the agency, its Sharks Response Team swiftly moved to the scene after receiving distress calls regarding the collapse.
LASEMA stated that nine persons were affected in the incident.
The agency said seven adult males were rescued alive and stabilised by emergency responders, while one victim was confirmed dead at the scene. Another person was still unaccounted for as rescue operations continued.
“Seven adult males were rescued alive and stabilized by LRU Paramedics and LASAMBUS; one adult male was confirmed dead at the scene and his remains recovered; one adult male remains missing,” the statement read.
The agency explained that search and rescue efforts were still ongoing, with responders manually dismantling concrete slabs at the site to locate the missing victim and ensure that no other person remained trapped beneath the rubble.
LASEMA added that the Lagos State Building Control Agency, LASBCA, had been engaged to provide rod-cutting equipment, while the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit, SEHMU, was assisting with commodity bagging.
It further stated that all workers at the construction site were being re-engaged to determine if more persons could still be trapped.
Emergency responders at the scene include LASEMA Response Teams, LRU Paramedics, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, and LASAMBUS.
Reacting to the incident, the Permanent Secretary of LASEMA, Dr. Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, directed that rescue efforts be intensified.
“Our priority remains saving lives. We are working methodically and in partnership with LASBCA and SEHMU to ensure no victim is left behind while maintaining safety for responders,” he stated.
The agency also advised motorists to comply with traffic diversions around Old Abeokuta Road inward Abattoir and warned residents against entering construction sites without proper safety certification.
Metro
Insecurity: 11,000 arms recovered by police submitted for destruction
The Nigeria Police Force has remitted over 11,000 recovered arms to the National Centre for the Control of Small Arms and Light Weapons, NCCSALW, for destruction.
The Centre’s Director-General, DIG Johnson Babatunde Kokumo (rtd), disclosed this on Wednesday.
Kokumo made the disclosure when he paid a courtesy visit to the Niger State Commissioner of Police, CP Adamu Abdullahi Elleman, at the Command Headquarters in Minna.
The NCCSALW boss said the transfer and destruction of recovered weapons was aimed at preventing their possible recirculation into the hands of criminal elements, particularly as illicit small arms and light weapons continue to fuel banditry and other violent crimes.
He commended the Inspector-General of Police, IGP, Olatunji Rilwan Disu, for directing state police commands to transfer recovered arms and ammunition to the Centre after investigations and other necessary procedures.
Kokumo called for stronger collaboration and information sharing between the Niger Police Command and the Centre, stressing that effective inter-agency cooperation remained critical to tackling the proliferation of illicit weapons.
He said the Federal Government established NCCSALW to coordinate efforts against illicit small arms and light weapons, with zonal structures across the six geopolitical zones and plans for state-level offices to strengthen its operations nationwide.
The Director-General, who was accompanied by the Centre’s North-Central Zonal Director, Abdullahi Adamu Eneche, also commended the existing relationship between the Niger Police Command and the Centre.
Kokumo described his meeting with CP Elleman as both official and symbolic, recalling their professional relationship while in active service.
Responding, CP Elleman described Kokumo as a distinguished retired senior police officer, mentor and seasoned professional, and assured him of the command’s continued support for NCCSALW.
He pledged that arms and ammunition recovered by the Niger State Police Command would be remitted to the Centre through the appropriate channels after investigations and other required procedures are concluded.
The CP said the move was in line with existing directives and would help ensure that recovered weapons were taken out of circulation rather than potentially finding their way back into criminal hands.
The meeting comes as security agencies continue efforts to curb the proliferation of illicit weapons, which remains a major concern in the fight against banditry, kidnapping and other violent crimes in the North-Central.
Metro
Police remand home lesson teacher, father for alleged defilement of pupil, daughter in Edo
A 52-year-old home lesson teacher identified as Daniel Erumudonmoh Okhuilegbe has been remanded at Oko Correctional Centre, Benin City, for alleged defilement of his 13-year old pupil.
The suspect was alleged to have committed the offence on August 5, 2026.
The Edo State Commissioner of Police, Patrick Daaor, made this known to newsmen while parading some arrested criminals in Benin.
Daaor said the complainant alleged that the suspect was engaged as a home lesson teacher but allegedly abused the trust placed in him and sexually assaulted the child.
He said following the conclusion of the investigation, the suspect was charged before the Benin High Court on 14 August 2026 and subsequently remanded at Oko Correctional Centre, Benin.
The Commissioner also disclosed that a 42-year-old father who allegedly raped his 15-year-old girl has been remanded at the Benin Correctional Centre.
He said the suspect committed the crime on August 6, 2026, at Iyahmo in Etsako West Local Government Area of the state.
He explained that following discreet investigation upon transfer to the state headquarters, the suspect was charged to court on 14 August 2026 and remanded at the Benin Correctional Centre, pending further proceedings.
The Commissioner also disclosed the arrest of a 26-year-old man for alleged defilement of a 14-year-old girl.
He said the suspect named Otaru Jonathan committed the offence on August 12, 2026, in Afokpella community in Etsako East Local Government Area of Edo State.
He posited that preliminary investigation revealed that the 26-year-old man, Otaru Jonathan, took the child on a motorcycle to an uncompleted building at Afokpella, where he allegedly had unlawful sexual intercourse with her and subsequently gave her N2,000.
“The survivor was taken to the Hospital for medical evaluation and attention. The suspect was arrested and remains in custody.
“Preliminary investigation is ongoing, after which the suspect will be arraigned in court”, he stated.
Metro
‘I’m so tired’ – Bebe Jewelry’s last video before her death
Popular Lagos-based businesswoman, Bebe Jewelry, who operated from Trade Fair Market, shared an emotional video just days before her tragic death in China, where she had travelled to source goods for her business.
In the video, Bebe spoke candidly about the physical and emotional toll of entrepreneurship, revealing how exhausted she felt after days of searching for products.
“I’m tired, so tired. Money matter no easy o. Ah God, bless the works of my hands o. Also, to every woman hustling out there, we will not die young. We will all live to eat the fruit of our labour,” she said.
She noted that many people only see the success of hardworking entrepreneurs, often unaware of the sacrifices, stress and challenges behind the scenes.
Bebe went on to pray for God’s blessings upon herself and every hardworking woman striving to build a better future.
Describing her condition at the time, she added:
“I know how I feel right now. The pain in my leg is so much. See heat. The market has AC, yet I’m sweating. It’s choking, like my leg hurts so much. God help us o.”
She also prayed in Igbo, asking God not to allow the eyes of the enemy to see or prevail over them.
Sadly, CCTV footage later captured the moment she reportedly slumped and died while on her business trip in China.
Her passing has left many Nigerians heartbroken, with social media users reflecting on the pressures of hustle culture and the importance of prioritising health while pursuing success.
-
Sports2 days agoPaul Scholes Predicts Final 2026-27 Premier League Top 6
-
Sports2 days agoMan Utd Injury Update on 8 Stars Ahead of Premier League Opener vs Hull
-
Sports2 days agoRuud van Nistelrooy Revealed His Son Was Named After Former Celtic & Man Utd Player
-
Sports2 days agoMan Utd in Talks With Championship Club to Sell Toby Collyer
-
Metro21 hours agoNDLEA arrests Lagos socialite KC Luxury, seizes cocaine worth N39bn
-
Politics2 days agoOsun election: Tinubu lost, APC afraid of 2027 – Dele Momodu
-
Metro1 day agoSuspected gunmen kill 20, injure others in Plateau
-
Sports23 hours agoNewcastle Discuss Move to Sign Carlos Baleba Ahead of Man Utd
