Connect with us

Politics

PDP will stain your white, ignore calls for presidential race – Adenuga writes Jonathan 

Published

on


A social commentator in Bauchi State, David Adenuga has urged former President, Goodluck Jonathan to ignore the growing calls for his return to the presidential race, warning that some political actors pushing the idea could tarnish his legacy.
In a letter titled, “An Open Letter to Former President Goodluck Jonathan,” the observer said Jonathan should be careful not to allow himself to be drawn into partisan calculations driven by ambition rather than national interest.

“I write this letter as a concerned Nigerian who respects the role you played in Nigeria’s democracy and the peaceful example you set for the country,” he stated.

He cautioned the former president against allowing himself to be used by what he described as desperate political interests.

“I believe this is the time to protect the good name and legacy you have built over the years. You should not allow yourself to be used by desperate political elements who may be more interested in their own ambitions than in the future of Nigeria,” the letter read.

The Social Commentator further warned Jonathan to be wary of those advocating for his comeback, claiming many of them were previously opposed to his administration.

“Many of those calling for your return today were your antagonists, those who frustrated your government back then. You should be careful not to become a pawn in a game designed by others or else they will stain your white with their ‘roforofo’,” he said.

He maintained that Jonathan’s legacy remains defined by his decision to concede defeat in 2015, which he described as a landmark moment in Nigeria’s democratic history.

“Your legacy was built through years of public service and your decision to put the country’s peace above personal ambition at a critical moment in Nigeria’s history. That legacy should not be put at risk because of the desperation of a few politicians,” he added.

Adenuga also alleged that some of the promoters of Jonathan’s return have lost credibility in the public space.

“The truth is that some of the people pushing you to contest have already damaged their own reputations. They should not be allowed to stain your legacy with their soiled hands. What they could not achieve on their own should not be pursued through your name and goodwill,” he stated.

He concluded by urging the former president to remain above political manoeuvring and protect his place in history.

“History has been kind to you. Preserve that honour and remain above the political games of those who want to use your name for their own purposes,” he wrote.

Recall that former President Goodluck Jonathan recently emerged as the presidential candidate of the Kabiru Turaki-led Interim National Working Committee of the Peoples Democratic Party following a special convention held in Abuja, where delegates ratified his nomination ahead of the 2027 general election.




dailypost.ng

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

Tinubu’ll lose credible 2027 election before 4pm – Baba-Ahmed

Published

on

By


By Dickson Omobola

National Chairman of the Peoples Redemption Party, PRP, Dr Hakeem Baba-Ahmed, on Wednesday said President Bola Tinubu will lose the 2027 general elections before 4 pm if the poll were credible, free and fair.

Baba-Ahmed described the All Progressives Congress, APC, as a monster eating itself up, saying that despite controlling the National Assembly and having 31 state governors, the President remained uneasy because Nigeria had become worse under his leadership.

He spoke on Politics Today, a Channels Television programme, where he said Governor Ademola Adeleke’s victory in the Osun State governorship election had demonstrated that the APC could be defeated at the polls.

He said: “I saw the now sworn-in Governor Ademola Adeleke of Osun State speak in a very confident, very comfortable manner. APC was trounced in Osun. We didn’t even see a coalition or collaboration or a gang-up against the APC. Parties all competed against one another. Yet, APC was defeated. We have even heard stories that there was a deal between President Tinubu and Governor Ademola Adeleke. But we don’t believe that. We believe that the ruling party, Accord Party, defeated APC comprehensively. There’s no reason why this cannot repeat itself at a national level.

“APC is not a party. It is a monster eating itself up and eating everybody up. You have a party that has a president who is quite possibly the most powerful president, who has either given himself or been given by the people around him the most awesome powers to do anything he wants. You have a president who believes he must have all the power around him. He appears to have garnered the support of 31 governors and quite possibly about 75 per cent of the National Assembly, yet he’s still uncomfortable. It’s politically monstrous.

“If it’s a credible, free and fair election, I assure you, Tinubu will lose. I won’t say before 12 noon. Maybe before 4 pm. Nobody should praise INEC until it can actually conduct an election in which the President is a contestant. I hope the election will be credible, free and fair. If it’s not, I foresee a very serious threat to Nigeria’s democracy.”


www.vanguardngr.com

Continue Reading

Politics

David Mark warns against use of state institutions to manipulate 2027 elections

Published

on

By


The National Chairman of the African Democratic Congress (ADC), Senator David Mark, has warned against the use of state institutions to manipulate the 2027 general elections, insisting that the credibility of the polls must be “non-negotiable”.

Mark also cautioned against intimidation, violence and other forms of electoral malpractice, saying the ADC expected the next general elections to be transparent, inclusive, peaceful and free from interference.

The former Senate President spoke on Wednesday in Abuja when he received a delegation from the International Republican Institute (IRI), which is in Nigeria as part of its assessment of preparations for the 2027 elections.

According to Mark, the integrity of the electoral process would be critical to determining whether Nigerians would have confidence in the outcome of the 2027 polls.

“For us in the ADC, the credibility of the 2027 elections must be non-negotiable. We expect the electoral process to be transparent, inclusive, peaceful and free from manipulation, intimidation and the abuse of state institutions,” Mark said.

He expressed concern over what he described as the recurring abuse of the electoral process by governments in power as well as non-state actors, warning that such practices could undermine democratic governance and erode public confidence in elections.

Mark made particular reference to the violence and intimidation reported during the recently concluded Osun State governorship election, which he said should serve as a warning ahead of the 2027 general elections.

He said reports indicated that no fewer than 30 people were killed during the election, describing the development as reprehensible and condemnable.

“Elections should not be treated as war or a do-or-die affair. There should be a democratic process through which citizens freely choose their leaders and advance their aspirations for development and a better quality of life,” he said.

The ADC chairman said his party was committed to an electoral process conducted in a secure environment where voters could freely cast their ballots without fear or intimidation.

He added that every vote must count and that mandates freely given by the electorate must be respected.

His comments come as political parties and other stakeholders intensify preparations for the 2027 general elections, with concerns over electoral violence, the neutrality of state institutions and the credibility of the electoral process already featuring prominently in discussions ahead of the polls.

Earlier, the IRI delegation said its visit was aimed at assessing the country’s level of preparedness and engaging key stakeholders on issues that could affect the conduct of the elections.

The African Regional Director of IRI, Jenai Cox, said the organisation was conducting a pre-election assessment mission to evaluate preparations for the 2027 polls.




dailypost.ng

Continue Reading

Politics

Davido clarifies alleged attack on Adeleke’s convoy

Published

on

By


Afrobeats superstar, David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, has clarified the alleged attack on the convoy of Governor Ademola Adeleke.

It was reported that some hoodlums engaged in a gun battle with security personnel attached to Adeleke’s convoy at the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji, on Wednesday.

This was shortly after Adeleke received his Certificate of Return from the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, and visited the palace to celebrate his victory with the traditional ruler.

However, in a post on his verified X handle on Wednesday evening, Davido debunked the report.

He admitted that there was a fight outside the palace of the monarch they visited.

“Lies! It was a fight outside the palace that had nothing to do with us. The people love his excellency,” he tweeted.

DAILY POST reports that Adeleke won the election after polling 511,067 votes to defeat his opponents, including Bola Oyebamiji of the All Progressives Congress, APC, who got 444,815 votes.

Najeem Salaam of the African Democratic Congress, ADC, polled 17,180 votes, coming third on the ballot.




dailypost.ng

Continue Reading

Trending