Metro
Osun Police arrest man over false bandit invasion social media alarm
The Osun State Police Command has arrested a 22-year-old man, Odetayo Adebayo Samuel of Ila Orangun, for allegedly spreading false security information on social media that caused panic among residents across the state.
The command disclosed this in a statement issued by the Commissioner of Police, CP Ibrahim Gotan, and signed by the spokesperson, DSP Abiodun Ojelabi, on Friday in Osogbo.
According to the statement, “the suspect allegedly published a video on Facebook on June 1, 2026, through an account identified as ‘Odetayo Oluwasegun’, claiming that bandits had invaded Osun State.”
The police said the publication generated widespread fear among members of the public who viewed and shared the video on various social media platforms.
Preliminary investigations, however, revealed that the claim contained in the video was false and misleading.
The command explained that the footage did not depict a bandit attack as alleged but showed members of the public restraining an individual who was experiencing a mental health crisis.
“The publication triggered widespread panic among residents. Preliminary investigations revealed that the video was misleading,” the statement said.
Police also disclosed that the suspect was apprehended on June 3, 2026, and taken into custody for further investigation into the circumstances surrounding the publication.
The statement noted that following several appeals by the suspect’s elderly parents and a public apology tendered by him, he was warned and subsequently released.
The Commissioner of Police, Ibrahim Gotan, cautioned members of the public against circulating unverified information capable of causing fear or disturbing public peace.
He reiterated the command’s zero-tolerance stance on the misuse of digital platforms to spread falsehoods, urging residents to verify information before sharing it online.
Metro
42 suspects in custody as FCT Police arrest kidnappers, traffic robbers, others in Abuja
Operatives of the Federal Capital Territory, FCT Police command have arrested at least 42 suspects for their involvement in various crimes within the city.
The Commissioner of Police, FCT Command, CP Ahmed Muhammed Sanusi, disclosed the successful operation during a press briefing at the command’s headquarters on Wednesday.
The CP explained that on August 14, 2026, the command received a distress call reporting the suspected kidnap of three persons from their residence in Nyanya Area of the FCT.
He said following the report, personnel of the Command’s Violent Crime Response Unit Team 1 were immediately deployed to the scene.
The CP said investigations revealed that the victims were taken to the “New-Nyanya Area of Nasarawa State where they were kept hostage by their abductors”.
He noted that with the aid of intelligence from a well meaning resident of the territory, officers of the command trailed and arrested two suspects identified as Godwin Afekhide and Aaron Ogbu.
According to the CP, the two suspects “were directly linked to the kidnapping of the victims. All three victims were rescued unharmed and reunited with their family”.
Similarly, about ten suspected traffic robbers, who usually disguise themselves as hawkers along congested roads and traffic stops within the city, were arrested on August 16.
The CP said upon receipt of several complaints, he “charged all Divisional Police Officers particularly within the city centre to ensure the evacuation of such persons from the roads.”
Those arrested include Umar Salihu; Yusuf Isah; Aliyu Hamza; Abubakar Naziru; Muhammed Musa; Yagugu Mohammed; Suwidi Jibril; Kasimu Taraba; Abubakar Sani and Aminu Umar.
The FCT Police boss further revealed that about 20 traffic violators, especially those found driving against traffic popularly known as one way were arrested following his directive to the Divisional Police Officers to clamp down on the offenders.
“So far, we have arrested twenty, 20 suspects for various traffic offences and they were all immediately charged to court.
“These operations will be sustained across all roads within the FCT until our roads are safe for all road users”, the CP said.
In the same vein, six members of a criminal gang specialized in breaking and entering into houses at night, stealing valuables and stabbing victims were also arrested.
The suspects are, Sanusi Yusuf; Zakari Mohammed; Sani Adamu; Abdulwasi Yahuza; Abdullahi Abah and Aliyu Mohammed.
“All suspects are in custody and will be charged to court upon conclusion of investigations”, the CP added.
Metro
Ogun police smash robbery gang, arrest two suspects, recover 3 pistols, 18 cartridges
Operatives of the Anti-Robbery Team of the Ogun State Police Command have arrested two suspected armed robbers and recovered three locally made pistols and 18 live cartridges in a follow-up operation across Ogun and Lagos states.
The suspects, identified as Adeyinka Onakomaya, 46, and Olayiwola Kehinde, 48, were apprehended for their alleged involvement in armed robbery, carjacking and unlawful possession of firearms.
The Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Oluseyi Babaseyi, in a statement on Wednesday, said the breakthrough followed months of sustained intelligence gathering after the recovery of a stolen red Toyota Matrix in April 2026.
According to him, the vehicle was linked to an armed robbery incident reported in April, prompting detectives to expand their investigation, which led them to the hideouts of the suspects.
Babaseyi stated that Onakomaya was tracked to the Babaode area along Idiroko Road, Ota, in Ogun State, while Kehinde was arrested in the Command area of Lagos State.
He disclosed that preliminary investigations revealed that the two men, alongside other gang members, masterminded the April robbery and were also linked to a series of violent vehicle snatchings in Ota, Iju, Babaode and Atan areas of Ogun State.
“Upon their arrest, a thorough search led to the recovery of three locally made pistols and 18 live cartridges,” the PPRO said.
During interrogation, both suspects reportedly confessed to their roles in several armed robbery operations within the state.
The image maker said efforts were ongoing to track down and arrest other fleeing members of the syndicate for prosecution.
He also quoted the Commissioner of Police, CP Bode Ojajuni, as commending the operatives for their tenacity and operational efficiency, adding that the recovery and arrests demonstrated the Command’s resolve not to abandon any criminal case.
“The recovery of the firearms and the arrest of key syndicate members underscore the Command’s determination not to leave any criminal investigation incomplete,” he stated.
The CP reassured residents that the Command remained committed to dismantling armed robbery networks and making Ogun State unsafe for criminals, urging members of the public to support the police by reporting suspicious activities.
Metro
Police apprehend five suspected cultists with firearms in Edo
Five suspected cultists have been arrested by operatives of the Edo State Police Command.
Commissioner of Police in charge of the command, Patrick Daaor, disclosed this to newsmen on Tuesday in Benin City.
Daaor said the suspects were arrested in separate operations.
He said one of the suspects, identified as Andrew Friday, 27, was arrested on August 7, 2026, at Akpakpava by operatives of the Anti-Kidnapping Unit.
He added that on August 5, 2026, a distress report was received from Flight Transport Services, Akpakpava, Benin City, after an unknown man abandoned a sack he had presented for waybill to Benue State.
“Upon searching the abandoned sack, officers discovered unripe plantains concealing three locally made Beretta pistols.
“Through technical intelligence and sustained investigation, operatives of the Anti-Kidnapping Unit arrested Andrew Friday, aged 27, on August 7, 2026, at Akpakpava.
“The suspect confessed to sending the sack and admitted membership of the Aiye Secret Cult Confraternity.
“He further stated that the firearms were given to him by one Bance, surname unknown, from Iyanomo Community, allegedly for repairs in Benue State and subsequent use in an ongoing cult rivalry,” he disclosed.
He said the investigation was ongoing to apprehend other suspects connected with the matter.
In another operation, the Commissioner said four suspected cult members were arrested and firearms recovered from them.
He added that the suspects were arrested by operatives of the Anti-Cultism and Anti-Kidnapping Unit.
He said the operatives, acting on credible intelligence in collaboration with personnel attached to the Government House Task Force, conducted an operation at Egbaen Community, off Ekenhuan Road, Benin City.
He said four suspects, including Nuka Joseph, 27; Osatohamwen Ogor, 30; John Osewengie, 30; and Osezee Osayi, 29, were arrested.
The Commissioner stated that the operation led to the recovery of four locally fabricated pistols, one locally made Beretta pistol and one cut-to-size double-barrel gun.
He also added that the suspects allegedly confessed to membership of the Aiye Confraternity Cult.
He said efforts were ongoing to apprehend other members of the syndicate.
The Commissioner of Police, however, encouraged residents to look out for one another and pay attention to their neighbours, friends, colleagues and loved ones.
-
Sports2 days agoPaul Scholes Predicts Final 2026-27 Premier League Top 6
-
Sports2 days agoMan Utd Injury Update on 8 Stars Ahead of Premier League Opener vs Hull
-
Metro18 hours agoNDLEA arrests Lagos socialite KC Luxury, seizes cocaine worth N39bn
-
Sports20 hours agoNewcastle Discuss Move to Sign Carlos Baleba Ahead of Man Utd
-
Sports2 days agoMan Utd in Talks With Championship Club to Sell Toby Collyer
-
Metro1 day agoSuspected gunmen kill 20, injure others in Plateau
-
Metro2 days agoFour Almajiri die after suspected food poisoning in Kano
-
Politics2 days agoOsun election: Tinubu lost, APC afraid of 2027 – Dele Momodu
