Connect with us

Sports

Fabrizio Romano Reveals New Man City Talks to Sign Enzo Fernandez

Published

on


Manchester City have held fresh talks on Tuesday over signing Chelsea midfielder Enzo Fernandez, despite the deadline that the Blues set last week expiring.

Chelsea set a deadline of 5pm last Friday for clubs to make a £120m bid to prise the Argentina international away from Stamford Bridge, with Man City one of the interested clubs in the 25-year-old.

No offer arrived for the South American, and the west London outfit may have assumed that was the end of the situation at that stage.

However, City’s need for new midfielders is increasing after Rodri joined Bernardo Silva in completing a move to LaLiga with Barcelona on Tuesday, while Tijjani Reijnders is on the verge of completing his switch to Saudi club Al-Qadsiah.

Now, David Ornstein has reported that Newcastle are exploring a move for Nico Gonzalez too, with Fabrizio Romano saying that City are open to the Spaniard’s exit despite only signing him just over 18 months ago in a deal worth £50m.

While City are closing in on a deal to sign Lille midfielder Ayyoub Bouaddi, there is still a gap in their central midfield, especially if Gonzalez joins the other three in departing.

Despite last week’s deadline set by Chelsea passing, Romano says that City aren’t giving up on Fernandez and that they actually held new talks over a move for him today.

Speaking on his latest YouTube video on Tuesday night, the Italian journalist said:

Enzo Fernandez is still being discussed internally at Manchester City. Even today, from what I’m hearing at the club, there were conversations about the Enzo Fernandez situation.

“On player side, Javier Pastore, the agent of the player, had conversations on daily basis these days, even after the deadline set by Chelsea for Enzo Fernandez. I would not be surprised if Manchester City arrive again and try to open negotiations for Enzo Fernandez.

“I would not be surprised because the understanding is that this Enzo situation, yes, on Friday changed the dynamics because Chelsea can now decide whatever they want. Chelsea will be more than happy to keep Fernandez at the club.

“Chelsea are not desperate with this situation, but at the same time, Chelsea are in control. Chelsea decide about the transfer fee. This verbal exit close is no longer valid, so we have to see how the conversations will continue.”

City Need Enzo Fernandez More Than Ever

Argentina's Enzo Fernandez looks dejected as he walks off the pitch after being shown a red card by the referee REUTERS/Amanda Perobelli

Enzo Fernandez might not be the most popular player in the Premier League after his behaviour at the 2026 World Cup and how he helped knock England out of the tournament, but there is no doubting the qualities that he brings.

And City need those qualities in their midfield more than ever. Make no mistake, losing Rodri and Bernardo Silva in the same summer is a huge blow for a club who aspires to win the Premier League and Champions League every season.

Right now, City’s central midfield options are new boy Elliot Anderson, Gonzalez and Mateo Kovacic, while Nico O’Reilly can play there too.

As mentioned,

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

WWE Hall of Famer Edge Felt ‘Handcuffed’ in His Final Months With Company

Published

on

By


A much-loved WWE Hall of Famer has opened up on the frustrations they felt before making the decision to part ways with the company.

Adam Copeland, formerly known as Edge, has claimed that WWE kept him ‘handcuffed’ during his most recent run.

The current AEW Tag Team Champion, with long-time best friend Christian Cage, Copeland has shed some light on why he made the switch to WWE’s biggest competitor in 2023. The Canadian appeared on the Ariel Helwani Show, where he made some pointed comments about how his final months in WWE.

Copeland first signed with WWE in 1997, making his main roster debut the following year. Across two separate stints, he worked for the company for more than 25 years.

Edge’s WWE Career Explored

In WWE, as Edge, he became one of the most decorated champions in the history of the company, being a seven-time World Champion and also a fourteen-time Tag Team Champion with a whole host of different partners, from Christian to Hulk Hogan. It was thought his career was finished in 2011 when he was forced to retire due to a devastating neck injury. He was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame the following year.

However, at the Royal Rumble in 2020, he shocked the world and returned for another spell with the company.

For the majority of his time with WWE, former CEO Vince McMahon was in charge of overseeing storylines and creative decisions. That changed in July 2022, when Paul ‘Triple H’ Levesque took over as WWE’s Chief Content Officer.

Triple H

Within barely a year of Triple H being in charge, Copeland had decided to leave the company, allowing his contract to run down so he could join AEW. He wrestled his final match as Edge when he defeated Sheamus on the August 18th 2023 edition of SmackDown in his hometown of Toronto. He would debut in AEW just a few short weeks later.

WWE Hall of Famer Reveals ‘Real Reason’ He Left Company

The 52-year-old explained his dislike of how WWE was run under Triple H, in comparison with periods such as the Attitude Era. Copeland revealed that he was not having fun towards the end of his time with WWE, noting that talent had little way of expressing themselves outside what was laid out by various producers and agents.

“A lot of times in the Attitude Era, there might be a plan, but there might not be. My experience by the end of WWE was over-produced, over-rehearsed, over-everything. It kept handcuffs on you to the point where you couldn’t really explore too much.”

Copeland admitted that he enjoys the fact that the product is not as nailed down in AEW. It gives wrestlers the chance to explore and try different things out within the parameters set to them.

With the retirement of veterans over the last year, such as John Cena and AJ Styles, as well as the release of names like Sheamus and The New Day, the WWE locker room has lost a great deal of experience in recent times.

The veteran star reasoned that ‘you need a locker room with different elements’ and people who can be a ‘calming influence’ or ‘a shoulder to turn to’, and made it clear that is one of his main roles of his at this point in his career.

Continue Reading

Sports

Barcelona Fans Slammed For Booing Frenkie de Jong Before Al Ahly

Published

on

By


Barcelona fans have been called ‘shameful’ after booing one of their players ahead of their pre-season friendly against Egyptian side Al Ahly.

The two sides clashed at Camp Nou in Barca’s traditional Joan Gamper Cup match ahead of the La Liga campaign. Hansi Flick’s men prevailed with a 2-1 win courtesy of goals from Hamza Abdelkarim (29′) and Raphinha (45′ Pen), while Zico (51′) pulled one back for the visitors.

There was plenty for fans to be excited about, including the unveiling of new signing Rodri, while England’s Anthony Gordon impressed on the left wing. Flick’s Blaugrana head into the new season with a new-look team, but some supporters appear dissatisfied to see one of his players remain in the squad.

Barcelona Fans Boo De Jong Amid ‘Tension’

frenkie de jong Via Reuters

While Rodri received a huge ovation from supporters following his £65 million arrival from Manchester City, his new teammate Frenkie de Jong was instead greeted with jeers. The Dutch midfielder has been embroiled in a controversial saga following reports from Spanish journalist Gerardo Romero.

Romero claimed last season that De Jong had refused to play against Atletico Madrid and that he held a difficult relationship with Flick. The former Ajax midfielder has since refuted those claims while speaking to the club’s official channel:

”Gerard Romero reported, and he himself set all of this in motion, that I refused to play against Atlético in the Champions League last year. That is not true. It is simply not correct.”

De Jong also dismissed Romero’s suggestion that he and Flick are on bad terms, insisting ‘none of that is true’ and that their relationship was ‘actually very good’. But there have been questions asked about the Dutchman’s fitness and how he managed a knee injury during the World Cup with the Netherlands.

A report from The Athletic claims that Flick is frustrated that De Jong played through the pain barrier during the international tournament. He is expected to be back fit around November, depending on the recovery progress, meaning he’ll miss the start of Barca’s La Liga title defence.

De Jong reported that he was still in pain after returning from the World Cup in July, and further examination revealed that his injury was more serious than initially thought. This is the latest tension to arise between the player and the club following a failed move to Manchester United back in 2023 when the Blaugrana pushed for him to leave and join the Premier League giants.

Fees correct prior to summer 2026

All 10 found — excellent!

Fans Hit Out at De Jong Treatment

Barcelona midfielder Frenkie de Jong

De Jong didn’t play in the win over Al Ahly due to his knee injury, but he appeared before fans at Camp Nou as part of a squad announcement. While he smiled and waved to fans, it was clear many are still taking issue with the Dutch midfielder, and his recent interview failed to quash rumors of behind-the-scenes issues.

After a clip of the incident surfaced on X, some fans, including Barca supporters, hit back at the boo boys. One fan wrote:

“Well, that was poorly done. You should never boo one of your own, whether you like them or not—those are subjective matters—but you should never boo, because it’s going against one of your club’s key assets, and it’s counterproductive. If you don’t want to applaud, then don’t, and without any booing. Silence is better.”

Another supporter added:

“That is shameful no club fan should be doing that.”

Another called the boos:

While one wrote:

“It’s really sad what the Spanish media has done to De Jong.”

Another replied:

“The cheers were louder than the boos though but those pathetic fans who booed you’ll ask for bread and you’ll get sand.”

De Jong has been with Barca since January 2019 when he arrived from Ajax in a €75 million (£64.3m) deal, and he’s since made over 295 appearances, winning the La Liga title three times. He has endured recurring injury issues and a hot-and-cold relationship with fans during his seven years at Camp Nou.

Continue Reading

Sports

Newcastle United Ahead in Race to Sign Christopher Nkunku

Published

on

By


Newcastle United have emerged as a potential destination for versatile AC Milan forward Christopher Nkunku this summer, with the Magpies said to be one of the clubs ‘ahead’ in the race for his signature.

The Magpies kick off their upcoming Premier League campaign with the visit of Liverpool to St James’ Park on Sunday afternoon.

That, of course, means the return of a certain Alexander Isak. The Magpies will hope that the Sweden international does not come back to haunt them, the way his exit still does.

Newcastle United spent heavily on recruiting Nick Woltemade and Yoane Wissa to replace Isak last summer, but those investments have not yet proved fruitful. The Magpies lack a 20-goal-a-season talisman and perhaps a new arrival could provide that.

Newcastle Are ‘Serious Option’ for Christopher Nkunku

Christopher Nkunku
Christopher Nkunku

Foot Mercato report the latest on the future of Nkunku. The Frenchman only arrived at AC Milan from Chelsea last summer, the Italian giants paying £35 million for the forward.

The 28-year-old has managed seven Serie A goals and three assists but never cemented a place in the starting XI. Nkunku had been expected to be handed a prominent role under Ruben Amorim but a difficult pre-season has left the player once again facing being moved on.

It’s claimed that Newcastle United are a very ‘serious option’ for Nkunku, while Borussia Dortmund and former club RB Leipzig are also touted as potential suitors.

Jaissle expressed his concern about his side’s strength in depth following the friendly defeat to Everton last week. He said: “We handle these things internally, we are aware of what we need and there is still some time.

“We use every day in the best possible way to make progress and the same will be in the transfer market, hopefully things also progress. There is still a couple of days to go but it is not in my hands.”

The report of interest aligns with Sky Sports journalist Keith Downie. In a transfer update on YouTube on Tuesday, the reporter said: “Nkunku has been offered to Newcastle who haven’t made a decision yet. He’s also been offered to a couple of other clubs. I think Jaissle would be interested in him if there was an opportunity.”

Nkunku is a player who could tempt Magpies head coach Matthias Jaissle. The incoming Newcastle United boss favours a 4-2-3-1 formation and the ex Chelsea man thrives in the number 10 role – the forward plundered 16 goals and six assists over the 2022/23 Bundesliga season in that role. Could he be the long-awaited answer to the departure of Isak?

Fees correct prior to summer 2026

All 10 found — excellent!

What does Matthias Jaissle want from a number 10?

  • Jaissle wants a number 10 who not only operates between the midfield and striker, but capable of making runs behind the defence.
  • Creativity and ability to find a final pass to set up a goal.
  • A dynamism and flexibility to shift across the pitch, rather than remaining fixed in formation.
  • Aggression without the ball and capable of closing down quickly.

The outlet claims that Nkunku is very keen to leave AC Milan and is longing for a head coach who believes in the impact he can have on a team. The striker is not likely to make the move to Saudi Arabia or Turkey and still harbours Champions League ambitions.

AC Milan would look to recoup at least £30 million of the money paid to Chelsea for Nkunku just one year ago. Recruiting a player to specialise in that number 10 role is a priority for the Magpies.

Continue Reading

Trending